Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 AM

Sanokun is on a distinguished road
Default Concert Video Vs. Live Performance

I just received Alizee's En Concert Dvd and started watching it.

I became a big fan recently and started downloading and watching all her live performances. She sounds amazing and extremely consistant in all her live performances. Even her Moi Lolita performances at age 16 (2000) and at age 19 (2003) are remarkably similar vocally down to every pitch and tone.

However in her En Concert DvD, her voice is much rougher and she sings some notes that I've never seen her do in any of her life performances.

I realize that her voice probably gets tired after performing so many songs in a concert. However she just doesn't sound the same even in her first song L'Alize.

Has anyone else noticed this? How can all her live performance be ALL so similar, but her concert voice be so different?

I know some of you will defend it by saying that in a large concert she doesn't have the benefits of a small room in a recording studio.

But if I listen to any of her other life performances vs. her music video's and cd, I can't make out such a vocal difference.

So that begs the question...does Alizee lip-sync in all her non-concert Live Performances?

Another thing I've noticed is that not only is her voice extremely consistant in live performance, but ALSO her dance steps too. Almost every Jen Ai Marre and Gourmandises performance her dance steps is choreographed in detail to make it visually intoxicatingly mesmerizing.

But in her concert performances she misses alot of steps and her movements are more sporadic and spontaneous.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that Mylene controls how she sings and dances down to every single detail and makes her lip-sync (or sings along with the audio background track, i.e. Moi Lolita-Amsterdam) in life performances. But in Concert Alizee has the freedom to sign and dance the way she wants, which i'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

Now this brings us to the present. Since Alizee is now seperated from Mylene, which is good for her freedom, and we will finally see the real Alizee.

No doubt she is still gorgeous at age 23, but i'm worried if the general public is ready see the real Alizee raw and without the Mylene choreography and "Make-up."
Old 10-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Without giving the dissertation that RMJ or someone else will inevitably give (that I don't want to spend the time on) two things: 1) nearly all (except for a small handfull) of Alizée's "live" performances are pre-record (a.k.a. lip-synched); the consistency of sound is born of the studio; and 2) it's a concert, her performance will necessarily be more spontaneous.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 AM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

Aye. To add on to what CF said, studio quality is the absolute optimum. You simply cannot replicate it in a truly live performance, which is what tends to make them so special.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 AM

johnkim2222003 is on a distinguished road
Default watch the duet

I suggest that you check three duets of Alizee. I do not believe that you could be lip-synched singing when you sing with others. One with the Natasha Pier was great. The one with Jenifer was good. Alizee had a bad day when she sang the lolita with a lady having a Chicken Hair-stye. After you listen these three songs, you will have some ideas.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:47 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the board, Sanokun! I hope you'll have the chance to introduce yourself in the New Members thread.

Regarding live performances, here's RMJ's dissertation on the topic:
http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showpost...28&postcount=7

Furthermore, the most reasonable explanation regarding the dances is that the full versions of the JEAM and JPVA dances are, well, exhausting, so in order for her to sing live as well as dance, she had to do abbreviated versions and let the backup dancers do the full versions.

Last edited by fsquared; 10-10-2007 at 12:50 AM..
Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

a quick answer to the original question is:

TV performances = lipsync
Concert performances = live

there are really only a few times she sang her songs live on TV:

ML duo with amina at star academy
ML on top of the pops italy
ML in korea showcase
ML with 3 contestants on eurobest

if you listen to those i mentioned, you will see it sounds very similar to her concert voice.

so yes, there is a discrepancy with her live voice and studio recording voice.

one can say even "en concert" had a little bit of post production work done on the voice.

for even more raw voice, listen to the bootleg recordings of some of her concerts here (change .doc to .mp3):

http://www.mylenelive.com/alizee.htm

Last edited by heyamigo; 10-10-2007 at 01:01 AM..
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

The (televised) duets with Jenifer and Natasha St. Pier are live too right? (I know, it's all been hashed out before). RMJ mentions that he omitted them, or, at least the one with Jenifer, later in that thread above.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

TV shows are pre-recorded lip-synchs, with very few exceptions. En Concert is a true live performance. Hence, consistency on TV, differences live.

As for the dancing, that can be accounted for by the singing. She is a dancer at heart, and has been dancing since she was tiny. Learning a dance and repeating it in matching fashion is like falling off a beam for her - she could probably do it in her sleep.

What is exceedingly difficult, however, is doing that same dance while trying to sing live. The only way for the vast majority of people to get a decent sound live is to tone down the dancing, and cut out some of the moves - mostly the ones that either cut off air, or would jolt the body too much.

You'll be hard pressed to find anybody who dances the way she dances on TV or in a music video, and sings like she did En Concert. The two very very rarely go together, and among those who can combine them, you'll note that most of the biggest dance moves, are done during parts of the song where they aren't singing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
The (televised) duets with Jenifer and Natasha St. Pier are live too right? (I know, it's all been hashed out before). RMJ mentions that he omitted them, or, at least the one with Jenifer, later in that thread above.
That has been argued both ways. Personally, I believe it is live (Alizée's treatment of the microphone and her stage behavior are different in that performance than in her known pre-records, and line up with how to do a live).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:08 AM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquared View Post
i dunno, i thought it might be live at first, but now i've decided to call the duet with natasha pre-recorded. i am also leaning towards the one with jenifer as pre-recorded. mostly because i noticed those voices are closer to the studio vocals than the live vocals.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 AM

johnkim2222003 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, fsquared. I don't that either. I also love Natasha's songs and voice. Are you suggestiing that they both sang a pre-recorded song? How come? It was not necessary.

Thanks.