Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 04-22-2017, 04:02 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default The standards of this forum.

Ray is a man of high standards in this forum. He's a person who's carried on what MerciAlizee and Arronius tried to establish here. Me....I'm a loose cannon. I try to maintain good standards, but when I see things that bother me, I'm too quick to go off, in a bad way.

We or maybe I should say I, try to go against things we see that led to the demise of AF. One of those was the language that we thought wasn't acceptable to Alizée and so, not acceptable to this forum.

Unfortunately Ray, being the only active mod, has to bear the brunt of disciplanary action in this forum, even when such action may have been instigated by someone else, such as me, which I often do.

So members here need to realize there are many members behind the scenes, trying to keep up with keeping this a site, Alizée would be proud of.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

I feel the regular long term members are aware of common civility between members. We've had a few and I mean VERY few members in the past that come here to spread their drama. Lucky for us they've seemed to move on to other venues to entertain themselves.

Some people just need to get over that this forum is all about Alizée, and not about them and the legend in their own minds of how important they are to the board. That has probably been the biggest obstacle to many individuals not playing well with others on the board.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ace in the hole!~

Play nice everyone .... know I'm watching you all!

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 04-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Age and geography can have a lot to do with what a person feels is appropriate or inappropriate. On the one hand there is forum tradition, but there is also the constant evolution of standards, and this community is a global community.

I've never interacted with Brad or Ben... I arrived too late. But I have looked back at old threads and posts and have tried to pick up on the way they wanted the forum to go. Seeing their comments at times of conflict. The guidelines here intentionally aren't too specific beyond no politics and no religion. We depend on the members to use their best judgement when posting to maintain the balance but at the same time sometimes stand back and see how something plays out. Often times something questionable will quickly fade away on it's own without intervention. That seems to ruffle the fewest feathers.

All the members are part of the community and activity is the best way to keep it going. Over-active moderation can stifle participation.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Hi FRA.

How are you? It's been awhile.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM

FRA!......How ya doing????
Old 04-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Play nice everyone .... know I'm watching you all!

We'll always be watching , you from above , and I from the shadows....

Take care FRA

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 04-29-2017, 10:02 AM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post

Unfortunately Ray, being the only active mod, has to bear the brunt of disciplanary action in this forum
I remember those days. Wasn't fun at all. Trying your best to make the right calls and keep the forum "in shape", just to have all that effort thrown back in your face.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:44 AM

I think it's time we revisited this thread, now that we have some new mods. I don't think we have any written rules in here. If there are, they are hidden in a way the CIA would be proud of.

I joined this forum 12 years ago this month. I had also joined the Alizee Forum at the same time, which last year shut down. I preferred this forum because they were very strict about staying on topic. Alizee America was more laid back. Now when you have a lot of members posting, it's important to keep on subject, especially for when in the future, you look back for something, you pretty much know where to find it. But when you don't have many people posting, we've seen good conversations broken up because they were off topic, huring a 'current' situation that wasn't good to begin with.

Merci Alizee was appointed by Ben to run this forum years ago and he's done a great job of it. He was very level headed, not getting into any arguements. Then Aaronius31 came along and helped out. I believe he was 14 at the time. He had very good values, probably coming from his strict upbringing. After one of my trips to Paris, I sent him an ActuaAlizee magazine I had found there along with an autographed cd. He tried to intercept the package before his parents, but they got to it first and asked "Who is this guy in Boston who sent you this package and what's in it?". He explained who i was and that the package contained stuff relating to a beautiful French singer named Alizee. Surprisingly, his father was alright with it. Just an example of that strict upbringing, but it shaped him into a great young man.

Back then, there were battles in both forums. As far as the ones in here and sometimes in there, I was often in the middle of them. I was always too eager to do battle and that is still true today. I recently told Ben, even though we don't have a lot of active members, I felt we needed to have 2 more mods to try and have as much coverage during the week as we can. I did not ask to be appointed a mod 'again', because of that 'too eager to do battle' flaw.

Our forum has improved over the years with fewer and fewer battles. As far as the Alizee Forum, in the last few months of their operation, they had the same old battles day after day and I think it just became a not very pleasant place for people to post.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard a thousand miles away from someone and tell them what you think of them in unpleasant terms, it's harder to respectfully disagree with someone. I often make comments about my religous inclinations in here. A member in here who could've just said I don't want to hear that crap, sent me a pm about it. Our views were quite opposite, but we both stated our views in a long pm to each other. We didn't try to change each other's views and we respected each others stance and that was that.

One of my biggest problems I have is I see a post that bothers me and on more than a few occassions, it's something I read the wrong way and I'll reply in haste. I tried to make it a rule that when I see something I don't like, wait until the next day to respond, but unfortunately, I seldom listen to my own advice.

As far as Alizée, this is a forum and not a fan club. It's okay to be critical of her and that criticism can be harsh at times though at times, it's been too harsh and again, I've been one of the worst offenders. But I feel those around her are off limits. We can disucss them, but should be very careful about what we say about them. I think she can put up with criticism of herself, but not her family and that I feel is something we shouldn't allow.

If you have a problem with what someone else says, reach out to them or to the mods. We have 3 now. I can always be reached through the forum. Though my pm box is often full, my e-mail address is a valid one in the forum. There are a lot of conversations here that go on in pm.

So others please speak up on ways you feel we should run this forum.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Brad gave this guideline for posts in the forum when he owned it.
Quote:
I take the hands off approach on pretty much everything within reason, except for the following.

1. anything that would offend Alizée
2. political discussion (this isnt the place, i delete all political threads)
3. spam (and ban the user)
4. official videos / audio of Alizée material that can be purchased.
When Ben took over, he added religion to the list of topics or post content to avoid or remove.

I think most, if not all (including myself) have broken these rules at one point or another. I think Deepwaters, may he rest in peace, made the suggestion that you should always post as if Alizée was going to read it. Now that we have three moderators we can quickly spot and fix problems, but that is supposed to be the last resort. It is in the hands of each forum member to think twice about what you say in your posts.