Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 AM

Matrix is on a distinguished road
Default [this is old info] She's baaaack! New photo

New song coming out next month! New album at end of year!

"Scoop ! C'est confirmé : ALIZEE a quitté Mylène Farmer et avec elle sa maison de disque, POLYDOR.
En revanche, elle n'a finalement pas travaillé avec Nicolas Sirkis (Leader du groupe Indochine),
contrairement à ce que celui-ci avait annoncé il y a quelques mois.
Le papa de son enfant, JEREMY CHÂTELAIN, aurait écrit les musiques de son nouvel album,
avec six ou sept textes de JEAN FAUQUE (Bashung, Romane Serda, Jérémy Châtelain).
Un premier single devrait sortir en septembre et l'album en fin d'année.
Il semblerait que ce ne soit pas chez UNIVERSAL où le dernier album de JEREMY semble déjà enterré."

All this is from this website: http://fanadalizee.skyblog.com/

Last edited by Matrix; 08-04-2006 at 03:31 PM..
Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 AM
I'm not twenty

dvtq is on a distinguished road

can soneone translate this .
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 AM

Impurator is on a distinguished road

Scoop! It's confirmed : ALIZEE has split with Mylène Farmer and with her record label, POLYDOR. On the other hand, she has not ultimately ("in the end") worked with Nicolas Sirkas (Leader of the group Indochine), contrary to what we ("this one") had announced a few months ago.
Her baby's daddy, JEREMY CHÂTELAIN, has written the music of her new album, with six or seven texts (lyrics?) from JEAN FAUQUE (Bashung, Romane Serda, Jérémy Châtelain). A first single should be released in september, and the album at the end of the year.

I'm having a lot of problems with the last line. My best guess is "It seems that it (the album) is not with UNIVERSAL, where JEREMY's last album has already been forgotten/discarded." The last word, "enterré," means bury in a literal sense, and implies a scandal to be covered up or to wash one's hands of. I'm assuming his last album was a disaster of some sort?

Seems to be confirmation of the rumors we've been hearing, though the publication admits to being wrong about such "facts" in the past...

Maybe aFrenchie can come clear up the things I've translated poorly
Old 08-03-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm not twenty

dvtq is on a distinguished road

thank , so we will have the single in september ,nice
Old 08-03-2006, 06:22 AM

Ah, I looked at that site that you linked and they state that the site "Tinkalizée" has reported that her new record label is "Warner." Do they perhaps mean Warner Music Group?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:41 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Impurator, your translation is veerrrrry good
Some tips if you want to improve (my English tries may be bad but at least you'll get the idea):

"ALIZEE has split with Mylène Farmer and along with her, her record label, POLYDOR."
(if "along with her" isn't good, just say "at the same time". it's the idea...)

"ultimately ("in the end")"
I would have simply used "finally" that is close to "finalement"

"contrary to what we ("this one") had announced a few months ago."
Mistake there:
"celui-ci" (literally "this one" indeed) is for Nicolas Sirkis not the authors of the news. It's a way to avoid repeating his name in the same sentence.

"JEREMY CHÂTELAIN, has written the music"
"aurait écrit" is conditional. I'd say: "would have written" but maybe it's not good in English. I'd try: "it's said that JC has written..."

Last line: yes, you can use "forgotten" (but not discarded). The real expression is even longer: "mort et enterré": "dead and buried" -> now it's really dead, no need to talk about that anymore...

Btw, is that really news? I'm sure I've read this on many Alizée websites already?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

i dont think that is a new picture ... i might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that is from 2003
Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 AM

Thanks aFrenchie Those four semester of French class paid off after all!

I'm going to explain some of my word choices in English since from what I gather, you're partly here to improve your English (which is quite good by the way, many native speakers don't do as well as you do). My disclaimer is that while I've got a thorough background in proper English, I'm no professor and I speak American English, so some things may not apply to British English, for instance. Maybe we can find a British person to help with that part

I was originally going to use "finally" for "finalement," and actually it caused me to grab my dictionary when I first translated this line (I only knew the word "finally" for "finalement"), because it would be awkward to say "finally" here. When observing a conclusion, you would say "in the end, he picked.." or "ultimately, the blue team won," but would not say "finally, he picked..." unless you wanted to imply that he was taking a very long time, or the narrator was becoming impatient with him. "Finally, the blue team won" is a bit more neutral, but it still implies that the blue team winning was inevitable or, again, impatience on the part of the narrator. Since I didn't want to imply impatience, I went with ultimately (fewer words!)

For "aurait écrit", you are correct that "would have written" wouldn't be very clear (this phrase confused me because I don't know conditionals very well yet). If I were to say that he "would have written the music," it implies that he didn't write the music, and is usually followed by an explanation such as "but his wrist was cramping!" Your suggestion of "It's said that JC has written..." is probably the best way to say it, or perhaps "Supposedly, JC has written..."

Skipping back to the first line, I have actually done a bad thing in English, regardless of translation - Oops! As I have written it, MF is Alizée's mentor, and Alizée has split with MF's label, Polydor. Now, Polydor may be MF's label, I don't know. However, it is meant to say Alizée has split with Alizée's label. To write the sentence properly (not ambiguous) in English it has to be rearranged into "Alizée has split with her record label, Polydor, as well as with Mylène Farmer." That way it is certain who is being talked about in "her record label, Polydor." - it can only be Alizée. I should point out that this is the sort of rule that is broken very, very often by native speakers here in the US, and most americans wouldn't even notice if it was broken A magazine editor or English professor would find it immediately, though.

I've got some questions back for you - for "celui-ci", how do I know who "this one" refers to? Does it refer to Nicolas because it follows his name in the sentence (the same rule that I described in the previous paragraph)?

For the last line, could I say "where Jeremy's album is already dead and buried" even though it only says "enterré"? This would be a much more descriptive choice than simply "forgotten" in English, since "forgotten" is somewhat broad, but "dead and buried" means the same as "mort et enterré" does in French and I think this may be a more appropriate translation.

Thanks again for the tips, they are indispensible

(The news posting on Skyblog de fanadalizee is dated July 9th, so this is a bit dated, yes.)

Oh yes, would anyone prefer I not rattle on in the forum space about translation stuff like I just did? I realize it's somewhat off-topic!

Last edited by Impurator; 08-03-2006 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-03-2006, 10:03 AM
no use for a title

nurvonic is on a distinguished road

lol you and aFrenchie need to get together and write a book about french and english translations
Old 08-03-2006, 10:27 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the clarifications Impurator! I knew my tries (attempts?) would be lame here and there. I warned you before I start . That's why I tried to give the idea above all.

Quote:
Those four semester of French class paid off after all!
Sure they did. I would have thought you had more.

Quote:
MF is Alizée's mentor, and Alizée has split with MF's label, Polydor.
"Alizée has split with her record label, Polydor, as well as with Mylène Farmer."
Except that it's the way around :
"Alizée has split with Mylène Farmer, and thus with her record label as well."

Quote:
for "celui-ci", how do I know who "this one" refers to? Does it refer to Nicolas because it follows his name in the sentence
Yes, it must be right after, like "the one (guy) we just mentioned". Also used, as often as "celui-ci": "ce dernier"

Quote:
For the last line, could I say "where Jeremy's album is already dead and buried" even though it only says "enterré"?
If it's not weird in English, then yes, sure!