Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-17-2021, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Recently got back from a trip to the gulf coast of Alabama with my teenage stepdaughter. Now I’m contending with catching up on mail and appointments and other chores that piled up while we were gone.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:58 PM

Marshal Davout is on a distinguished road
Default Interesting email problem

I was in Web Support for Websites for a facility. The other guy wanted to leave early; so we said nothing is going on, so go ahead and take off. However; if something is going to go wrong it will go wrong at 4:30 PM on a Friday ! So I get a call and email from Systems Security asking "Is this a Valid email" One girl was changing her password in a system; but she never got the answering email; so she kept changing it. another girl was getting her password changed emails; so she complained to systems "I am Not changing my password ! " Hence the Dilemma. Turns out that the girls have almost similar names; so that when systems install set up her email they pointed her emails at the other girl ! I had to tell systems security "I cannot validate a systems email without studying it; and running an analyzer on it. This will take a while" But in checking the girls email addresses; I found that the one girl would never get emails and the other girl would get all of them ! so I had to contact Systems Install to straighten out their email addresses; as that part I cannot do ! Then explain to everyone what was going on !
Old 12-22-2022, 05:06 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Davout View Post
I was in Web Support for Websites for a facility. The other guy wanted to leave early; so we said nothing is going on, so go ahead and take off. However; if something is going to go wrong it will go wrong at 4:30 PM on a Friday ! So I get a call and email from Systems Security asking "Is this a Valid email" One girl was changing her password in a system; but she never got the answering email; so she kept changing it. another girl was getting her password changed emails; so she complained to systems "I am Not changing my password ! " Hence the Dilemma. Turns out that the girls have almost similar names; so that when systems install set up her email they pointed her emails at the other girl ! I had to tell systems security "I cannot validate a systems email without studying it; and running an analyzer on it. This will take a while" But in checking the girls email addresses; I found that the one girl would never get emails and the other girl would get all of them ! so I had to contact Systems Install to straighten out their email addresses; as that part I cannot do ! Then explain to everyone what was going on !
That is an interesting story. Kind of reminds me of some of the spam I get on almost a daily basis. Amazon is one name they often use saying there's a problem with you account, click here to sign in. I made the mistake of clicking on that but luckily nothing happened at that point but they want you to sign in with your username and password and I see right away the return address has nothing to do with Amazon and that's as far as that went.

I got one the other day from what was supposed to be my insurance company with who I have an auto and home policies. It said your house policy payment is late and in danger of cancellation. I thought, yeah right! I'm not falling for that because I know I paid my bills at the beginning of the month. Still I went to their website and sure enough my house policy was in arrears! What happened was I mixed up my payments and sent the lower car payment towards my house policy and it wasn't enough to cover it. So it's a good thing I didn't blow it off as being another scam.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
That is an interesting story. Kind of reminds me of some of the spam I get on almost a daily basis. Amazon is one name they often use saying there's a problem with you account, click here to sign in. I made the mistake of clicking on that but luckily nothing happened at that point but they want you to sign in with your username and password and I see right away the return address has nothing to do with Amazon and that's as far as that went.

I got one the other day from what was supposed to be my insurance company with who I have an auto and home policies. It said your house policy payment is late and in danger of cancellation. I thought, yeah right! I'm not falling for that because I know I paid my bills at the beginning of the month. Still I went to their website and sure enough my house policy was in arrears! What happened was I mixed up my payments and sent the lower car payment towards my house policy and it wasn't enough to cover it. So it's a good thing I didn't blow it off as being another scam.
Yes It is always a good policy to check the Originator of an email by placing your mouse pointer over the purported originator "From" section of an incoming email. That should give you an indication of who sent it and if it is a valid email ! If the originator of the email appears to be spurious, then it is better to delete the email without opening it ! As you say scruffy; It is better to go to the actual web address of the concerned company and check if what they say is true !
Old 03-24-2024, 02:12 PM

Default Car Fuse goes Bad

Being semi-retired; I don't drive as much in the winter;
so I put my car battery on a Charger to keep it fresh !
Unfortunately the electric power failed for some reason ( somebody hit a pole ? ) so when it came back on; it surged my Charger !
This didn't affect the Battery; however it blew the Fuse in the car, astoundingly. So that even though I got a jump, the car was still dead !
So I had to get it towed to have it checked out. That was when they told me the fuse was dead; so I had to get that replaced for about $11 !
After that the car was OK.
So I guess the moral of the story is; to have your Charger connected through a surge protector, in order to protect the Fuses in your car ! Or ; if the power goes off, then you should disconnect your Charger until it has been back on for an hour ( sometimes it would go off more than once and then they would surge it twice ! ) The Electric company doesn't care if they surge the line; when they turn the power back on !