Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road
Default According to Alizée, the early Alizée was an act

Throughout her career, Alizée has made ambiguous statements concerning her Lolita image and the sexualisation of her image. Of course, it is clear that the Lolita image, as seen in her first clip, had nothing to do with the Alizée image. The concept was based on the ambiguity; a timid and innocent teenager in real life sings sexually charged songs while wearing provocative clothes and moving suggestively. The line between the two was blurry and that is what made it work to a certain extent. What was never made clear (as far as I know) is what the young singer actually understood of the whole "Alizée concept"?

Alizée comments on the subject here from 0:30 to 1:00

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HWx5-_FQWiE#t=0m30s" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Translation:
MC(Manu Champagne): [Referring to Moi...Lolita] Was there, or was there not a naïve side to this song?
AJ: At the beginning, yes, of course, and this is what made it work.
MC: Acted, or not?
AJ: Of course!
MC: [I cannot clearly make up the first few words of this sentence] ... you can say it, you knew, you understood the whole thing about this song.
AJ: Yes, but at the same time, that is what made the game, the image, what made it work, maybe. And this is also why I split afterwards. It was because it wasn’t me.
MC: So, it was an act ("un personage").
AJ: Yes.
MC: Clearly?
AJ: Of course, totally.
MC: [laughs]

In this interview on Belgian TV in 2010, Alizée claims that early in her career it was a role she was playing. She admits here that the Alizée concept was just an image. She was not that young innocent adolescent singing sexually charged songs unknowingly; she was just playing the part. She also says that the reason she split (from MF/LB) was because she was not being herself. Note here that "it wasn’t me" ("c’était pas moi") clearly refers to the fact that she was not that naïve singer. This seems to be a new spin on the reason why she separated from MF/LB. It seems Alizée didn’t want to play the naïve part anymore.

Of course, there is nothing mind shattering about such a revelation, but what surprises me is that she would admit today to have been knowingly "deceiving" the public earlier in her career. It is surprising because Alizée knows very well that her fans generally prefer to beleive she was the innocent adolescent that did not fully realize the extent of the sexual content of her early image.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-22-2011 at 12:20 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

She also stated a few years ago in an interview that another reason she split was to have a life. From fifteen to nineteen she was completely tied up in her career and needed a break.

That is probably why I was so lucky to see the La Isla Bonita video first instead of any other performances.

Had I been introduced to her any other way I may not have become such a fan of hers.

There was this "look" she had during that performance that got to me.

Last edited by ALS; 01-22-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

This is not really a mind blowing revelation to me. I am a very new Alizée fan. What it seems to me is that Alizée won a childhood talent contest at a very young age, was offered a music career by MF LB team, and Mylene is referred to in many circles as The French Madonna. Alizée calling a music career "her dream" accepted the offer. Mylene even dresses her up in some of the same outfits she herself had used in ther past. Although I may not speak for Alizée, it would seem to me that she felt as if she had become Mylene's puppet. And Alizée could no longer continue along this path, so she decided to end her relationship with MF/LB as her production team. And Alzée has attempted to reinvent her image since then, and in my opinion done a very well job of it. As to "knowingly decieving" the public I believe she did as she was instructed by her production team and did not intentionally DECIEVE anyone. IF Alizée would have chosen to remain with MF/LB any longer than she did, the only person that would have been DECIEVED would have been Alizée herself. She knew the image MF/LB were attempting to portray was NOT her. So, just like any TRUE artist who has ever had my respect, Alizée had to herself be true and split and follow her own heart. And on her new album I do not believe she will SELL OUT TO THE MAN as I have seen so many artists and/or groups do in the past. And that earnd Alizée my devoted and undying RESECT.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
She also stated a few years ago in an interview that another reason she split was to have a life. From fifteen to nineteen she was completely tied up in her career and needed a break.

That is probably why I was so lucky to see the La Isla Bonita video first instead of any other performances.

Had I been introduced to her any other way I may not have become such a fan of hers.

And that was the first time I ever beheld one of her performances as well. When she performed LIB even better than Madonna did it, I knew then and there I had just witnessed greatness one may only see once in a lifetime, some never see greatness like this ever in thier entire lives!

Last edited by RobandSandy; 01-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
What was never made clear (as far as I know) is what the young singer actually understood of the whole "Alizée concept"?

Thoughts?
First thought: You probably have no idea what a valuable new member you are. Not only do you have great insight, your mastery of French and English is a rare skill.

Second thought: She read the book "Lolita" at the urging of Mylene before doing the song. She knew exactly what it was about and what she was doing. Sure it was not really her, but I'm sure she got a kick (at least at first) out of getting people worked up with the naughty girl act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Yes. The other thing to think about is Alizée was trained in the art of publicity by some of the best. Also, like most anyone, she doesn't want to say things that will make her look bad or seem ungreatful. I personally think there is a lot more to it than what she has said, but that's just speculation on my part. And we've had enough of that around here.

Quote:

Was this "look" defined by the come-hither sexy smirk, the skin tight outfit showing off her stunning body, or the restrained sexyness of her flawless dancing? Maybe all of the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobandSandy View Post
And Alzée has attempted to reinvent her image since then, and in my opinion done a very well job of it.
I've been a Lilly fan for years, (although I'm new here) but I can honestly say her new image doesn't do much for me. It confuses me. I'd rather have her find a popular image that might not be "her" but at least lead to album sales so we could see her in concert again... and she could do her own thing on the side.

Quote:
Alizée had to herself be true and split and follow her own heart. And on her new album I do not believe she will SELL OUT TO THE MAN as I have seen so many artists and/or groups do in the past. And that earnd Alizée my devoted and undying RESECT.
I respect her for it also, but I really want her to be popular and perform her own shows again. Maybe she's so damn rich she can do whatever she wants...

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM

To me it was her accent that added that special ingredient to La Isla Bonita more than anything else. That first time I saw that I could have sworn she was a really cute Spanish girl singing LIB until at the end she said "merci" and then I was really scratching my head going WHO IS THAT GIRL!!!!!!!! so I went and found out, but what really gets to me in LIB is Alizée's authentic spanish dancing, but WHAT REALLY gets me about LIB is that she performed it better than Madonna herself did it, I being a Madonna fan since B4 some of you guys were born.......1982 that is!
Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
What was never made clear (as far as I know) is what the young singer actually understood of the whole "Alizée concept"?

She admits here that the Alizée concept was just an image. She was not that young innocent adolescent singing sexually charged songs unknowingly; she was just playing the part.
It 's interesting to see what she said about this, at this period of time.

More than a girl playing a part, in a full comprehension of what she was doing, I see a young girl ready to accept something that , according to herself, is not important , in return for the chance of her life.

She clearly don't want to know about the double meaning of the lyrics, as if the whole Lolita concept was a negligible quantity of her experience...
Which is a chidish way of seeing things...

This is valid for first years. I don't know what was her feeling at the JAM period...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post
It 's interesting to see what she said about this, at this period of time.

More than a girl playing a part, in a full comprehension of what she was doing, I see a young girl ready to accept something that , according to herself, is not important , in return for the chance of her life.

She clearly don't want to know about the double meaning of the lyrics, as if the whole Lolita concept was a negligible quantity of her experience...
Which is a chidish way of seeing things...

This is valid for first years. I don't know what was her feeling at the JAM period...
Clearly stacked against the chance of her lifetime it was thought of by her as rather inimportant.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes. The other thing to think about is Alizée was trained in the art of publicity by some of the best. Also, like most anyone, she doesn't want to say things that will make her look bad or seem ungreatful.
One thing is Alizée has never regretted was her time with Myléen and Laurent. She has never had anything but praise for what they gave her.

When she put out both of her independent albums she made sure that Myléen got an early copy before it was officially released. Which is a sign that they are still close.

She may have learned or trained in the art of publicity but it has never been as polished as it was when she was with Myléen and Laurent.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm not so sure that Alizée and Mylene are still close. It was my understanding Alizée sent Mylene a CD, but she never received a response back. I think Alizée respects Mylene and is grateful, but I don't think they communicate at all or have any kind of relationship now. Who knows what Mylene now thinks of Alizée.

In interviews, at least in recent years, Alizée generally gets the same questions and generally gives the same answers. I'm not sure how much we really learn from all of this. Most of the time she's pretty good at not telling us any more than what she wants us to know. Her early career is both a help and a hindrance relative to where she wants to take her career now. I suspect she sees it as a mixed blessing and is trying to deal with it the best she can.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

All of this is stuff I already knew. That Lolita was a character ("personnage") and not the real Alizée is not news. That Alizée left Mylène in order to be her own self in performance is also something I knew. I don't think that we can say she was "knowingly deceiving" anyone. She was just putting on a performance. Does anyone believe that Mylène herself really is a death-worshiping sex goddess? How much of the real Madonna is in her performances? There's stagecraft involved here, acting skill, role-playing. It's understood by the fans, or should be.

That's why I think that Alizée has a talent for acting, looking at her performance in some of her videos. If my novels are ever made into movies, I'm going to recommend her for the role of Dolphin.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716