Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Wink MF & LB Crucify!!.......or praise them?

I've heard a lot of criticism since I've joined this forum of Laurent Boutannat and Mylene Farmer. Most of it directed towards MF but LB was getting a good share too. A lot of people called Alizée an MF protege. Others said MF and LB manipulated Alizée, controlled many aspects of her life. Of course most of us, not being french speaking and having only found out about them in the past year or two have to trust translations and interpetations of events years ago from people who's opinions may be biased.

I suppose Alizee may have been discovered even without them. I believe she still would have gone to Paris for an audition after she won the talent contest back in 1999 whether LB and MF were there or not. But if those two hadn't discovered her, someone else may have wound up mismanaging her career right into the ground . I've heard of several beautiful girls over the years who had great voices who had only 1 good song in their career because they or the people working for them could not come up with another hit song. Look how many great songs Laurent and Mylene provided for Alizee in about 4 years. Just an unbelievable amount

I think it was kind of wrong for MF and LB to provide such a young girl with some skimpy outfits to wear and risqué lyrics to sing but if you compare it to a lot of the material that many young people are exposed to today, I think it rather pales in comparison. Does that make it okay then? Can we really fault MF for tailoring Alizee's music and dancing along the same line as her own, after all this is what she knows best and Alizées training was based mainly on dancing. You just couldn't expect Lily to start writing hit songs overnight when she had little experience in that department.

I'm sure that MF and LB made a lot of money because of Alizee and they probably still are. I'm also sure that Alizée is now set for life financially, or at least she should be, because of these two.

I think these three people were a perfect fit for one another. I wonder if Alizée really did want to go in a new direction musically or if she got tired of hearing people calling her an MF protege, tired of hearing people say that MF and LB were making all the decisions. I watch Alizée's en concert performance and I don't think I've seen a performer look as tremendously happy as she did during several points during the show. So I think there had to be another reason, one we'll probably never know about. Peer pressure? Did her husband influence her decision. I guess it's all water under the bridge at this point.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'd have to praise Farmer and Boutannat. Without them, there's a good chance we would of never heard of Alizée and we would've never seen all those great performances with the tremendous beauty and singing of Alizée, the great music of Laurent, the wonderful lyrics of Mylene. By the way, who gets the credit for all those beautiful dance routines? MF, I suspect.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I suppose Alizee may have been discovered even without them. I believe she still would have gone to Paris for an audition after she won the talent contest back in 1999 whether LB and MF were there or not.

Quote:
So as far as I'm concerned, I'd have to praise Farmer and Boutannat. Without them, there's a good chance we would of never heard of Alizée

Old 06-09-2008, 10:48 PM

fatman is on a distinguished road

I kinda support those two statements.

Alizee may not have been as famous as she is now without them. They wrote her songs, designed her outfits, possibly her dances? Don't really know.

But even Alizee mentioned in an interview that "Moi Lolita" was written before she even was chosen my Farmer and so far has been her most successful single.

So, I say, praise them. But without Alizee, the song may have sucked if sung by someone else.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

I say we praise them while we are crucifying them.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool One from column A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
I say we praise them while we are crucifying them.
Does that mean you agreee to disagree?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Well, I have a pretty biased opinion because I prefer Mylene's music. Mostly because I really love Laurent's compositions. But, you can't really compare their music. Mylene's lyrics are a lot more mature than the lyrics she wrote for Alizee, even with the double meanings. I never found Alizee to be the typical image of sexy, though. She looked like the girl next door, with a wink. She showed some skin, but in a tasteful way, and she didn't have makeup piled on her face. I think thats why she appeals to so many men. And most young celebrities look trashy and slutty, not sexy.

When Alizee talks about her experience with Mylene and Laurent, I really do believe what she says. It was a good experience, and she'd never trade it. But, she wanted to move on. She wanted to make the kind of music she liked, create the image she wanted to be. Theres an article somewhere..where she says her favorite piece of jewelry is a watch from Mylene with an engraving. I found that very touching. I don't think MF and LB should be crucified. They created the Alizee everyone says they want back.

Edit: I would love to find this article again

Last edited by Euphoria; 06-10-2008 at 12:08 AM..
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Alizée's FireFighter

Youpidou1 is on a distinguished road

Praise is my side. I would never have Youpidou if they weren't here. YOUPIDOU, enough said.

All you need is 1 Truck.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777
I think these three people were a perfect fit for one another. I wonder if Alizée really did want to go in a new direction musically or if she got tired of hearing people calling her an MF protege, tired of hearing people say that MF and LB were making all the decisions. I watch Alizée's en concert performance and I don't think I've seen a performer look as tremendously happy as she did during several points during the show. So I think there had to be another reason, one we'll probably never know about. Peer pressure? Did her husband influence her decision. I guess it's all water under the bridge at this point.

She probably did this, in my own opinion, to try out the music business on her own. In the years she was with Mylene and Laurent, they acted as teachers, mentors and coaches even, in the music business. They were far from just Alizée's discoverers, the Gourmandises album was indeed composed and the idea was thought of before they discovered Alizée, but I believe they continued to mold their work to fit their tastes and the appearance and pull of their new young star.

Alizée did not consider herself to be just a puppet, she considered herself a strong force between the three, for she IS the performer, she IS the singer, and that's a third of the package, and just as important as being the composer or the lyricist.

She broke off from them to write stuff that suited her, to hit the music business by herself, take what she had learned and what she had experienced into play, and test it out. So far, i'm happy with the latest album, it's not a bad effort considering it's her first headed album, however I think the fact Mylene and Laurent forged her image in the past contributed to the fact she is so reserved right now.

You go to any J'en ai Marre Youtube, just look at the comments, some are extremely vulgar, and I just sometimes can't see them because they are so rude, insulting, even sick at times...

Don't tell me that wouldn't creep you out a bit being a 19 year old at the time, and that is more than incentive to change her image to prove to the public, and to those obviously sick-minded viewers that she wants to be respected as a musician, as her own caterer of needs and musicianship, and I have the absolute most respect for that.

Perhaps Jérémy did influence her a bit, considering he was making music by himself (although his voice needs improvement), this would have been a bit of a slight confidence-builder in Alizée, considering she married someone that probably can help her get her own start. Alizée enjoyed performing, shy as she would be before getting on stage, that is perhaps the whole feel of En Concert, she just shone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria
And most young celebrities look trashy and slutty, not sexy.
I could write a book the size of 'War and Peace' about how I hate those so-called young 'idols'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria
Theres an article somewhere..where she says her favorite piece of jewelry is a watch from Mylene with an engraving. I found that very touching.
Indeed, there is no tension between the two factions (being Mylene and Alizée), I also believe in another article that she had discussed her plans to hit it on her own a while ago with Mylene, and judging from Mylene's almost lack of response towards Alizée's departure, she thoroughly respects Alizée's decision, perhaps Mylene even saw a little bit of her old life in Alizée (don't flame me, I know there's a big difference) which would lead her to support her decision, if in a non-chalant and passive way.

Last edited by TheBarrett; 06-09-2008 at 11:08 PM..
Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Well, I have a pretty biased opinion because I prefer Mylene's music. Mostly because I really love Laurent's compositions. But, you can't really compare their music. Mylene's lyrics are a lot more mature than the lyrics she wrote for Alizee, even with the double meanings. I never found Alizee to be the typical image of sexy, though. She looked like the girl next door, with a wink. She showed some skin, but in a tasteful way, and she didn't have makeup piled on her face. I think thats why she appeals to so many men. And most young celebrities look trashy and slutty, not sexy.

When Alizee talks about her experience with Mylene and Laurent, I really do believe what she says. It was a good experience, and she'd never trade it. But, she wanted to move on. She wanted to make the kind of music she liked, create the image she wanted to be. Theres an article somewhere..where she says her favorite piece of jewelry is a watch from Mylene with an engraving. I found that very touching. I don't think MF and LB should be crucified. They created the Alizee everyone says they want back.
I prefer Alizée over MF/LB, but I also really like MF/LB. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with everything you said.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Tical 808

I'd have to praise them also.
Maybe one day they'll reunite and make one more song together. LB makes beats perfect for Alizee's voice.