Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Reminders of Corsica in Nice

I'm in Nice on vacation after spending 3 days in Barcelona, the land of the Hey Amigo. It's my first of 3 days here and already I'm seeing reminders of how close I am to the home of Alizee.

Unfortunately it doesn't look good for the store. It was closed up and this is (Saturday) with some kind of fair going on, including a parade with floats and tons of people all around, and everything else was open, but they were closed. I will check back with them in the next couple of days to see what they have to say about one of thier best exports.

There were two young woman working at the hotel I'm staying at who look to be in their mid, maybe early 20s. I thought to ask them if they had ever heard of Alizee. They said no, which is kind of understandable considering their age. Then I thought to ask them if they had ever heard of Mylene Farmer and they said no. I was stunned. How could they have not heard of the most successful female singer in French history?

One thing I've noticed over the years in my travel to France is, you can be asking someone in France about a multi sylable word and be one octave off in one sylable of your pronunciation, and it's like you're speaking gibberish to them. They can't relate the very close pronunciation to the exact pronunciation ( Sorry Bigdan and Corsaire, but that's the way it's always seemed to me.).

So even though I have a very busy schedule for the next two days, I hope to show them a video of Alizee and one of Mylene and see if that rings a bell.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
There were two young woman working at the hotel I'm staying at who look to be in their mid, maybe early 20s. I thought to ask them if they had ever heard of Alizee. They said no, which is kind of understandable considering their age. Then I thought to ask them if they had ever heard of Mylene Farmer and they said no. I was stunned. How could they have not heard of the most successful female singer in French history?

One thing I've noticed over the years in my travel to France is, you can be asking someone in France about a multi sylable word and be one octave off in one sylable of your pronunciation, and it's like you're speaking gibberish to them. They can't relate the very close pronunciation to the exact pronunciation ( Sorry Bigdan and Corsaire, but that's the way it's always seemed to me.).

So even though I have a very busy schedule for the next two days, I hope to show them a video of Alizee and one of Mylene and see if that rings a bell.
Scruffy, I assume these women could speak some English, is that the case? And I would think if they work in a hotel they are somewhat accustomed to how foreigners pronounce things. It will be interesting to see if they will recognize Alizée or Mylene from a video.

Oh, and thanks for the photos.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought to ask them if they had ever heard of Alizee. They said no, which is kind of understandable considering their age. Then I thought to ask them if they had ever heard of Mylene Farmer and they said no. I was stunned. How could they have not heard of the most successful female singer in French history?
2 possibilities :

- They were italians...

-More probably, they didn't get your prononciation.

Let me say you something that could make you understand better :
In Nice, you could experiment almost the same problem with some words if you were... Parisian ! The different prononciation between North and South can be a source of mistake. So imagine with a Bostonian accent !

Edit:

Quote:
I hope to show them a video of Alizee and one of Mylene and see if that rings a bell.

Stop chasing after young frenchs girls !!

Last edited by Bigdan; 03-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Robo-French for free

Quote:
I'm in Nice... It's my first of 3 days here...
You lucky (Scruffy)dog!!!

Quote:
Happily, we now live in a NEW age! Last quarter was the first time global shipments of smart phones exceeded that of PCs - over 100 million units. Perhaps Scruffy has such a gadget with him now?

I used Google translate to translate AND PRONOUNCE in French the English phrase
Are you familiar with the singer Alizée?
which is
Êtes-vous familier avec la chanteuse Alizée?
I captured the audio with Scruffy's old friend, Audacity, and uploaded it as an MP3 file here.

Google translate uses a high-end synthesizer for English, but, to date, cuts corners with the other languages it supports. (I wish Google made a simple change and supported speech synthesis at various word speeds, to help people learn a new language.) I wonder what Bigdan thinks about the job it does with French. Long ago, I have listened to both American English and British English synthesizers, so one might also develop engines for various French dialects.

And you should know there are multiple firms working on speech-to-speech translation as well. I think you can find a YouTube video of a German guy at a Microsoft show in China doing such a demo. (But sadly, sometimes talking computers have a bit of trouble with their knowledge of geography, LOL!)

I hope Scruffy can download and play the audio clip I created for his two young Provençals and let us know what they think!

And remember, with a cellphone and Web access, one could create other phrases as needed!

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 03-05-2011 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: mend typo
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanDeAliFee View Post

hum... which means " are you a close friend of Alizée?"
She will answer "no !"

Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post
She will answer "no !"
I thought exactly the same It sounds kinda strange, but it's only a google translate. You must forgive google
Need to try again
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Have a great vacation! Oh, and thanks for the pictures.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
I thought exactly the same It sounds kinda strange, but it's only a google translate. You must forgive google
Need to try again
may I suggest :
" connaissez vous Alizée, la chanteuse? "
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Wink Et quand je donne ma langue aux chats?!!!

Quote:
Quote:
She will answer "no !".
Quote:
may I suggest :
" connaissez vous Alizée, la chanteuse? "
Yes, this is what they taught us at school in 9th grade, but it is EVEN WORSE!!! Let me explain.

The (Google) translation of
Connaissez vous Alizée, la chanteuse?
to English is
Do you know Alizée, the singer?
But one definition (number 8) of the English verb to know is
(transitive, archaic, Biblical) To have sexual relations with.  
quotation:
* 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version)[1], Genesis 4:1:
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
If she understands English, the young woman of whom poor Scruffy asks the question you suggest might look at him with wide open eyes and mouth, screaming:
You are in Nice. This is NOT Eden, Eden and you are not Mylène Farmer!
and then slap him HARD in the face!

Perhaps he could apologize by telling her he is not religious. I think it would be better not to give offense in the first place!

But if you insist, the MP3 file you recommend is here. (Note that I took GREAT CARE not to spell it the WRONG way, so - Connaissez vous... la chateuse?)

P.S. Even French people who don't understand English should be suspicious about a word like connaissez, which begins with con!

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 03-20-2011 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Link to article citing Eden Eden Eden
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(transitive, archaic, Biblical) To have sexual relations with.  
quotation:
* 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version)[1], Genesis 4:1:
And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
If she understands English, the young woman of whom poor Scruffy asks the question you suggest might look at him with wide open eyes and mouth, screaming:

Oh, Men, you are crazy
You don't even have to translate it, in French it's the same possible meaning ("Avoir des relations sexuelles avec une personne."). But possibility of getting it by those gal in such context is quite similar to being striken by a thunderbolt, so... still possible

Quote:
But if you insist, the MP3 file you recommend is here. (Note that I took GREAT CARE not to spell it the WRONG way, so - Connaissez vous Alizée, la chateuse?)

P.S. Even French people who don't understand English should be suspicious about a word like connaissez, which begins with con!
Naughty, naughty Anything more?
Nice wordplay