Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
I have an idea.

How good is Alizee's voice compared to Mylene's voice? Could Alizee sing Mylene's songs about as good as Mylene does????

How about if we have Alizee do Mylene's concerts instead of Mylene???

Do you think it would work???
Well I think there's two problems with that. As huge as it was to lose the music of LB and the great songs written by MF, the biggest thing she lost when she left was the management of those two. I think she has had a large hand in the management of all her albums since she left them and I think that's the main reason they've failed.

The other problem is her voice. Linda Ronstadt who had a beautiful voice once said she had to work on her voice all the time. I think Alizee hardly ever does and it showed in her last concert. She needs a voice coach and that falls under management.

If she had a voice coach and a good manager, I don't think she would need to sing anyone else's songs.

Here's an excerpt from one of Linda's interviews;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/archiv...=.cf15e8a84ece

"......Her teacher is Marjorie Rivingston, who has worked with singers as disparate as Beverly Sills and Bette Midler. "She's articulate, with a teacher's gift for using either positive reinforcement or being brutally frank without being destructive. I see all this as a remake of '42nd Street,' where a girl comes to Broadway and desperately needs help, a teacher to show her what to do. I've learned how to do stuff in rock 'n' roll, how to hit notes without making a legit sound but using some tricks. I've learned techniques from within so that I have way more range than before without having to scream as hard. It's just so interesting. Every time I go in there, I learn how to improve a tiny bit."......."

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 11-21-2018 at 11:35 AM..
Old 12-23-2021, 04:52 AM

Elise is on a distinguished road

While I'm not technically French, the answer to CC's question is that her music was written for young teenagers or kids, and so her fans back then have grown up and grown out of her songs after 20 years apart from for nostalgia purposes. Young people today listen to Angèle, OrelSan and Stromae. Mylène fans are more of a "cult" like thing than mainstream.

I still can't understand why the idea that French can't support catchy melodies is repeated here when it is easily disproved in less than 4 minutes:

French music > English music
Old 12-23-2021, 07:04 PM

24Shepherd24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Well I think there's two problems with that. As huge as it was to lose the music of LB and the great songs written by MF, the biggest thing she lost when she left was the management of those two. I think she has had a large hand in the management of all her albums since she left them and I think that's the main reason they've failed.

The other problem is her voice. Linda Ronstadt who had a beautiful voice once said she had to work on her voice all the time. I think Alizee hardly ever does and it showed in her last concert. She needs a voice coach and that falls under management.

If she had a voice coach and a good manager, I don't think she would need to sing anyone else's songs.

Here's an excerpt from one of Linda's interviews;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/archiv...=.cf15e8a84ece

"......Her teacher is Marjorie Rivingston, who has worked with singers as disparate as Beverly Sills and Bette Midler. "She's articulate, with a teacher's gift for using either positive reinforcement or being brutally frank without being destructive. I see all this as a remake of '42nd Street,' where a girl comes to Broadway and desperately needs help, a teacher to show her what to do. I've learned how to do stuff in rock 'n' roll, how to hit notes without making a legit sound but using some tricks. I've learned techniques from within so that I have way more range than before without having to scream as hard. It's just so interesting. Every time I go in there, I learn how to improve a tiny bit."......."

I don't think Alize is heavily invested in her career, but that doesn't mean she needs to retire. With some work she could get her voice back on track and select tunes appropriate for her abilities. Alize doesn't have to sing original music written for her or even put out a new album. I doubt she will be a major star again, but she will always be popular. Alize could do fine with old tunes. They wouldn't put her in the top ten, but her fans would cut off an arm to see her do something different, and she will always be able to draw an audience. I'm thinking of a career similar to that of Zaz. Perhaps not the same music, but nightclubs, music videos, and an occasional TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9wJUpCCn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObeDLFcceJ0

Last edited by 24Shepherd24; 12-23-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Old 12-24-2021, 01:14 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
I still can't understand why the idea that French can't support catchy melodies is repeated here when it is easily disproved in less than 4 minutes:

French music > English music

Thanks for the Stomae song. I’m not very impressed by it-- but maybe that’s because its not my genre.

This song is an example of my genre:

Duran Duran was a British 80’s band--- they were very successful, and they had a string of hit songs. (One of which is “Hungry Like The Wolf”.)

Is there a French Duran Duran?

If the French language can support catchy melodies just as well as the English language, then a French equivalent of Duran Duran should, in theory, be possible. (Does that make sense?)

So, is there a French Duran Duran?

Please name the band. Please name a French band that you think is _closest_ to Duran Duran.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:48 AM

Stromae's work is genius, his name is literally "maestro" swapped around. Do you know what Papaoutai is about? I recommend reading a translation of songs you think you're not impressed by (so this one, and Alors on danse). There's Alizée, are you impressed by any of her songs? Or is it more her physical beauty? Genuine question.

As you say French is better for ballads, what are your favourite ballads and French male "crooners"? Because for a fact that is not at all a popular genre today.
Old 12-31-2021, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Stromae's work is genius, his name is literally "maestro" swapped around. Do you know what Papaoutai is about? I recommend reading a translation of songs you think you're not impressed by (so this one, and Alors on danse). There's Alizée, are you impressed by any of her songs? Or is it more her physical beauty? Genuine question.

As you say French is better for ballads, what are your favourite ballads and French male "crooners"? Because for a fact that is not at all a popular genre today.

Stromae isn’t my genre. Ballads aren’t my genre either.

Boudennat is very good--- I like him, but his music is not the reason that I have watched En Concert over and over again.

You still haven’t answered my question.

I asked you if you could name a French band that was similar to Duran Duran.

How about another example.

Another band that has some great songs is the Moody Blues. Here is their song “The Voice”:

Please name a French band that you would regards as a French equivalent of the Moody Blues. Name a French band that you think is closest in musical style to the Moody Blues.

That is my challenge to you.

Is there a French Duran Duran? If the answer is yes, name the band.
Is there a French Moody Blues? If the answer is yes, name the band.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:40 AM

I have to express my surprise about Stromae, as he's as popular in America as he is in France. And after all you were asking about catchy melodies.

Boutonnat wrote very different music for Mylène Farmer than for Alizée...but I never mentioned him anyway, I asked about Alizée.

I didn't know we were using this as the criterion now, it got confusing. I'm happy to answer your question though I may need help from your side as to what Hungry Like the Wolf lyrics are about. French songs are often meaningful. What is the genre of that song called, or the band's work in general? So that I think on the right lines (there are way too many genres of French music to think through otherwise). Is it rock or something more specific?

I have a question of my own: are you impressed by Alizée's songs and are they your genre?

Last edited by Elise; 01-06-2022 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: wrong word usage I think
Old 01-06-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I have to express my surprise about Stromae, as he's as popular in America as he is in France. And after all you were asking about catchy melodies.

Boutonnat wrote very different music for Mylène Farmer than for Alizée...but I never mentioned him anyway, I asked about Alizée.

I didn't know we were using this as the criterion now, it got confusing. I'm happy to answer your question though I may need help from your side as to what Hungry Like the Wolf lyrics are about. French songs are often meaningful. What is the genre of that song called, or the band's work in general? So that I think on the right lines (there are way too many genres of French music to think through otherwise). Is it rock or something more specific?

I have a question of my own: are you impressed by Alizée's songs and are they your genre?
I’m American, and I’ve never heard of Stromae. I find it hard to believe that any non-English language artist would enjoy any kind of popularity in the United States.

As far as Duran Duran goes, just listen to them.

I’m not sure about their genre; maybe “medium rock” (something inbetween “soft rock” and “hard rock”.??)

I’ve never paid attention to the lyrics of “hungry like the wolf”--- but now that I look at the lyrics, it is technically--- like 95% of all songs--- a love song. Literally, it seems to be about a man stalking a woman. (But I think its more about a man being obsessed with a woman, rather than stalking her in a physical sense.)

So, is there a French equivalent to Duran Duran in terms of musical style?

Name a French band that you think is closest in musical style to Duran Duran.

I also mentioned the Moody Blues.
Name a French band that you think is closest in musical style to the Moody Blues.

P.S. I don’t see any real difference musically between Bodennat’s Mylene songs and Boudennat’s Alizee songs. (For instance, Moi Lolita was originally intended to be a Mylene song.)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:06 AM

Alex Rien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, is there a French equivalent to Duran Duran in terms of musical style?