Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

I honestly thought you would give me shit about Bell not because he was born in Scotland, but because he also spent time teaching at Boston University. Which was where the infamous line "Mr. Watson, come here, I need you" was spoken. So depending on what side of the border you live on there is still a difference of opinion about who can claim the telephone, Bell had the idea while in Brantford (ON), but the first successful test was in Boston. But after he stopped teacing lived the rest of his life in Baddeck, Nova Scotia. (latin for New Scotland, wonder why he went there ) Although Naismith invented basketball while teaching in America and is accepted as a Canadian invention, to some complaint by American fans because it is not nearly as popular here.

PS: I kind of figured you were Rocket but I don't need to much persuasion to talk about Canada
Old 10-23-2006, 05:40 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

One thing I do like about Canada is you anthem. I think it's beautiful.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:50 PM

I just wish they would decide to sing it in English or French and not the bilingual version they usually use. I know we are a bilingual country but I prefer the English and French only versions to the combined version. Which seems to be different depending on who's singing it. I never know when they are going to switch to the French version or back to the English version again.

Edit: Since you like poetry and the anthem here is the poem the lyrics for the English version were based on. Note though that this poem was written in 1908, the original French poem was written and set to music in
1880 and the lyrics remain unchanged in the French version of O Canada. Which is why it can be confusing when they combine the two because one is not a translation of the other. You can see what I mean here O Canada

PS: They also have near the bottom of the page an audio file (ogg file) of a 1927 recording of O Canada followed by God Save the King (Our Royal Anthem, it's sung with Queen now) on the Parliament Buildings bell carillion in Ottawa. Unfortunately it has lots of static in it, but it's not something you get to hear very often.

And for patriotic canucks and Lara Fabian fans she sings the short version of O Canada in English and French with the Vancouver Symphony. (right click if you want to save)
Attached Files
File Type: txt O Canada.txt (1.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Twitch; 10-24-2006 at 12:26 AM..
Old 10-24-2006, 02:26 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Uhh Bell and Macdonald were both born in Scotland.
OWNED!

I did a report on Bell in elementary school, but I didn't remember that. Did you know that off the top of your head?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:43 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Greg View Post
OWNED!

I did a report on Bell in elementary school, but I didn't remember that. Did you know that off the top of your head?
Let's just say don't get into a game of trivial pursuite with me
Old 10-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wanna play trivial pursuite ?

I wonder if there is question set about Alizée only...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Are we challenging a Canadian to a Canadian invented game? And to think my parents almost but didn't buy the very original version before it hit it big, some collectors pay a lot for those now. Ah well... here more trivia for you Trivial Pursuit

Last edited by Twitch; 10-24-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Old 10-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
11. Look at that Arch.. its huge! A whole army could walk underneath that thing!
lol, which army? German army or US army, or is it Italian army now pissed about the headbutt.