Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 10-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

holy crap dude, that's a very long letter! im definitely agreeing with slimming it down a bit.

though i have to hand it to you, you've made it very nice and professional looking!

Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Red face It's Never Too Late - Wait, that's not true, but can i still change my answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That100footdrop View Post
am i too late?
Not In The Least! But there's less than a week left!!!

100', it would be an honor to get your virtual signature on this document.

Newer updates soon, but for now, young centipededrop, go back a couple pages and check post #174 for best advice on what/how/where to send your signature.

Other kinds of contributions?

Any other comments / suggestions / messages are still welcome, too (from you or anyone), but be aware that we've already got a lot of extra words in there, and we're currently trying to shed a few.

Thanks again, Wasabi, and Anthem, "you've got mail!"
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 AM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Hey Chuck. Thanks for the DOCS. I only have one complaint. I don't think you should use the English terms unless you know they would make sense in French too. But I'll include that in my versions. Also send the text documents. I was able to open it but as a read-me on my ipod. So Thanks.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAnthem View Post
Hey Chuck. Thanks for the DOCS. I only have one complaint. I don't think you should use the English terms unless you know they would make sense in French too. But I'll include that in my versions. Also send the text documents. I was able to open it but as a read-me on my ipod. So Thanks.
What are some of the terms? I briefly glanced over the docs so I didn't catch any. I know a lot of French terms that could possibly substituted
Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

i hope you got the my new and improved sig as requested Chuck, send me a PM im you have any trouble again

just wanted to share that i joined my school's French club today, i'm real excited cause it seems like fun, there will be some cool stuff we do like watch French movies, cook French dishes, among other things. There's also a trip to France that the French students are invited to go on, but all the classes were full and i couldnt take it, but i hope my status as student under Mrs. Daski, a French/AP Spanish teacher, and a member of Le Cercle Francais will gain me entry
Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 PM

BlackAnthem is on a distinguished road

Sorry Jalen what I meant was when he uses slang, "queen of the world", and there was this other one but I can't find it now. Anyway I am concerned in French those may mean something completely different.

For example: That's what she said. (Makes no sense in Spanish) Your mom. (Spanish=no sense) Up and at 'em (Nope.) King or Queen (German: highly disrespectful to a leader. I think.) Catch my drift?

Last edited by BlackAnthem; 10-05-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Recline yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
just wanted to share that i joined my school's French club today
I hope your French club is better than the one at my school

1. It's ALL koreans, 'pacific islanders', and me. I'm the most French in there!
2. None of them speak French except me, I asked them on the first day "Comment allez-vous?" and they looked at me like I was retarded...
3. The first meeting had NOTHING to do with France/French.... the spent the first twenty minutes of a thirty minute lunch "waiting for more people", one minute having a 'drawing' for a water bottle (I won the cracked water bottle) and some silly putty, and the rest of the time having some stupid teen-girl-omgnoway-talk
4. Only two of the korean girls in there speak another language other than Korean, being spanish (it's very odd to hear spanish in a korean accent) and "okay" and "sew-dy"
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default French In Schools?

B.A.!!!! Sorry! Sending those text files asap! As for the "terms", yes, that's a very good point. Otherwise, we'll be like "lost in translation"!

Jalen, that French club story sounds a little disheartening, but if the teacher or club leader likes France, I bet it'll be okay. Like yourself, the other students signed up because they were interested. The in-charge should be able to run with that. (If they speak French or teach it, even better. )

Is this "club" different from French class? Is there a French class in your school?

I guess we're forgetting that other topic (^^) for the moment. (I got some new stuff to put up here, but it'll have to wait.)

But for now, I'm just curious to hear from youall, when (or if) French is being offered as an elective in most of the schools out there. Starting in high school, at least, right? Or Junior High? Here in the local public schools, it's first available in 7th grade. Which, I think, may be a little ahead of most areas??? ( <- NOT saying that to brag, jus say'n that's a good age to start. )

I'm asking, then - Is There French In Public School Where You Are? Starting at what level?

Or if not, why not? Lack of French teachers? Budget cuts? Both?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Recline yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
1. Jalen, that French club story sounds a little disheartening, but if the teacher or club leader likes France, I bet it'll be okay.

2. Is this "club" different from French class? Is there a French class in your school?

3. I'm asking, then - Is There French In Public School Where You Are? Starting at what level?

4. Or if not, why not? Lack of French teachers? Budget cuts? Both?
1. For some odd reason, my school doesn't allow the teachers to be directly involved in the club. They're mainly there to provide a room and to make sure we aren't dealing weed and 8-balls during Key Club... the French teacher was on her phone and computer the whole time.

2. French class is (at least at my school): Repeat after me class; Par-ah-ploo-wee = umbrella. Qu'est ce que c'est classe? une chaise *which they pronounce 'ch', not 'sh'*. More evidence for my claim that my generation is pretty much retarded; dumb is cool, smart is f'en retarded, after getting yelled at by the teacher you turn to your friends and laugh, screw homework man... catch my drift? Essentially French class is well, French class. The French Culture Club as described in the school handbook is "a group of students who meet to discuss, share, and everything else about French culture. You'd think you were in the middle of Paris! A knowledge of French culture is recommended before joining, knowledge of the French language is encouraged." and all that crap. As I've said before, the only people who speak French in that club are me and the teacher. The club is portrayed as enjoyable extra-credit for French, but is really just something for students who realize they need to take initiative to make their college applications look better... and nothing more.

3. I believe in my district Spanish is offered from 7th grade because of well, I'm in Southern California and about an hour away from LA and the border. Seeing "los coyotes" dropping off two dozen or so illegals is not uncommon here. Any language that isn't Spanish starts to be offered from 9th grade. Even so, the languages are only those that have significance locally. My high school offers Korean, French, Spanish, and Latin.

4. As I've said before, if all the kids think they are the shit and way too cool to ever correctly pronounce the French "r" or "u", there isn't going to be a large availability of French classes. Location also has influence. How many Portuguese or Italian classes are you going to find in freaking Wichita? There isn't as big demand for the knowledge of Spanish in China as there is in Southern California. There isn't as big of a demand of German in Louisiana as there is in Strasbourg. Plus our country is everyday lowering the standard of what's required to graduate school (there is this dumb, dumb typical teenage girl in my spanish 2 class that had know idea how to conjugate "ir", did not understand the difference between "ser" and "estar", and always says some dumb shit like "Mee guh-star comb-ear lay meesa". The Governator's grip on the budget's balls is still tightening, but fortunately only very few high schools are seeing that their teachers are being fired. The same cant be said for the elementary schools.

*all my spew was based on my time here in Southern California, it may be and probably is different in other places around the country.

**Off topic fail
Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 AM

deanej is on a distinguished road

My school does offer French, but you have to select it as the language to study in 6th grade; you can't switch in to it later. The high school does technically offer the first level course of all the languages available (Spanish, French, German, Latin, and Russian), but only Spanish, Latin, and Russian are viable choices; there is a requirement that 15 people sign up for a class to have it offered, which the French and German level 1 courses never meet (Spanish only meets it because the middle school requires that all students who start a language late take Spanish; Latin and Russian aren't offered at the middle school at all). Unless the middle school starts allowing 8th graders to take 6th grade courses (the reason for the Spanish requirement is because the school has to create a special course for them in 8th grade, which is really just another section of the 6th grade course fit into the 8th grade schedule), people who transfer in or start late aren't going to be able to take French.

Tags
fan, french connection letter, mail