Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section

Old 10-03-2015, 11:50 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Translation for Alcaline

I'm working on a new project and I think it will be one of my best. For those of you familiar with my K.O. project, it will be much along the same lines. When I made that video, I never imagined I could use her old videos to make a video of one of her newer videos which quite frankly that I found okay, but I had no desire to watch over and over again.

With K.O. I had a video I did want to watch over and over again and it is a video that I've watched so many times of late, just like the videos of the early years. I thought what happened with that was a fluke. It was just incredible luck to get videos to match up that way with music, so I was reluctant to try it again, until recently because I've had some time off from work.

I was incredibly surprised to see it could happen again and probably in a much better way than with K. O.. For reasons to be made obvious here, I have to reveal the the song is Alcaline. I'm putting together a video that matches her incredible early beauty with her still beautiful voice. I'm quite frankly flabbergasted how well it has worked out so far and one of my biggest problems in getting this done is I keep watching over and over again what I've done so far.

In addition to this, I decided to add subtitles. I was surprised to find one of the few translations out there is by RMJ, which isn't bad, but didn't flow well and that is what this post is all about. I've come up with what I think is a pretty good translation, except for the first four lines. With the rest of the translations for this, everything has worked out well, again, except for those first four line. I've asked Marguerite for some help, but that might take a few days, so I'm hoping people in here might be of some help.

Here is a picture of the translation "I've" come up with for the first 12 lines, but those first 4 lines, actually the first 2 lines. need improvement. Keeping in mind, I want to have something that is true to the French words.

Keep in mind, the English subs, show right after the French subs.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:25 AM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

I saved some of the translations from Alizee-reflections.net which has vanished from the net.

Here is their 'literal translation'

Quote:
Rhythm, riff, not a big deal
The entry of a gimmick, click, she establishes herself
My heart accelerates
my body restrains
But music makes
That which I become
Maybe this helps.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:28 AM

Thanks Ray. After mulling it over all night I've solved part of the puzzle I think.

Of course the main thing here is where RMJ "interpreted" the song, I'm interpreting also, but trying to keep it in a form that will go well with the song which going from French to English isn't usually easy to do. But just putting these thoughts on paper will probably help me solve the rest of the story.

In the case of Alcaline, it's a story about her getting lost in the beauty of music of her headphones with the help of an alkaline battery, and by closing her eyes, she can go to beautiful places. Then at one point she wakes up and is back at a place she doesn't really like; a place back and white, but then she puts the headphones back on.

The riddle of the word gimmick was solved pretty easily. I went to a French/English translation site to find out what the translation was for the French version of gimmick and came up with,

Principales traductions gimmick n (clever device) gadget nm Where's that little gimmick that removes the seeds? gimmick n (trick, catch) stratagème nm (familier)

So what the song is talking about, 'entering a gimmick" is actually putting on headphones, which for the song will be better defined as a device or gadget unless I can think of something more poetic.

Then "declic, elle s'impose." which directly translates to " a click, it is necessary" but what I think the song is trying to say is " a click is all that's necessary.

So my final solution for line 2 at first was going to be "Entering a device, a click is all that's necessary", I thought would sound much better and more importantly, more understandable as "Donning a device, a click is all that's necessary" or maybe better "a click is all it takes", which is much more easier to understand what is going on.

So all that just for line 2. One line left.

Un rythme, un riff, pas grand chose - A rhythm, a riff, not much

Rythme is pretty straight forward or so I thought at first, taking it to mean rhythm, but the interpretation includes beat or tempo which word wise I think is what was inteneded, but might not sound that great. I'll ponder that some more,but what of riff?

Well I wasn't really familiar with that word, but I'll bet everybody else here is. But looking at the word riff, even though the English and French words are spelled the same, the French version is pronounced reef. So that presented a problem of having to use the word riff in the subtitle, but the English pronunciation sounded lousy in my opinion but I guess I can use parenthesis to show the way it sounded in the song.

Last task

Pas grand chose which seems to translate to not a big choice which sounds like she's saying rythme or a riff is not much of a choice and I think that in the way it's directly interpreted is opposite of what she intends to say. I think what she's trying to say is all she "needs" or "wants" to hear is one of those two. So how to phrase that?

She wants to hear a beat or a tempo???????????????

My last piece of the puzzle. I'll post what I have so far so I don't accidently hit a button and have everything disappear.

Edit:

I think what I'll use for that first line and I may as well post the whole first stanza for a version that will go well in the subtitles of the song is,

A beat rhythm, a beat, a great choice
Donning my device, a click is all it takes
My heart speeds up. My body stays holds back
but the music has made me
that what I've become.

My last part of this project, which I hope to have done today, except for some spell checking is wondering which music to use for the sound track. It will be Alcaline, but do I need to worry which sound track I should use? Would a recording from a Youtube "unofficial" video be safer than one ripped from an album?

I'm also having Marguerite translate this song and it will be interesting to see what she comes up with, but spending most of her life in France, I don't think she'll be able to put some of these phrases into English terms the way someone who has been here all their life.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 10-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-08-2015, 11:37 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Is there any chance we could get a translation of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLC...7ar3J&index=94
Old 10-09-2015, 02:04 AM

Actually I think it's been already translated. I'll get back later on today with the file you need to download to see it.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Is there any chance we could get a translation of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLC...7ar3J&index=94
Here is where you can download the video I put together for episode 6 from DALS. If you like that video you posted, then this is a must see.

Here in that video you posted, she was singing lines to a song she danced to during the show. It was a favorite of hers from years ago and it's a good song. I'll post the lyrics below. I'll have to check to see if there's a video for this performance.

In fact here is a video I posted about what happened during a earlier part of the show. I absolutely love this video. It shows in week 4, Alizée was practicing the steps for Swan Lake and her first attempt was pathetic and Greg couldn't help but laugh at her and you see a look you don't see very often on her and it is of embarrassment. Of course when it came performance time, she nailed it!

This was also the show where there was a face off between Laetitia and Tal and Tal lost in a very close vote.
Download link for episode 6 of DALS
https://mega.nz/#!65QHQRJZ!s8e0LHy_f...iCewqrneZMAG0g

Here is the video of that song "La Gitaine" (The Gypsy) by Felix Gray that Alizée was singing the versus to.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 10-10-2015 at 02:49 PM..
Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Scruffydog777;254511]Here is where you can download the video I put together for episode 6 from DALS. If you like that video you posted, then this is a must see.

Fantastic! This is really an excellent thing you are doing for all of us.