Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone from AAm contacted Riccardo about Alizee-Forum?

https://twitter.com/riccphoto/status/908990998570766337

AF is closed and Ricc is closing fb fan page too. FB provides an option where you can merge your page with other page and that way you don't lose any information.

So I asked him if he can merge the page with our AAm page.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 09-16-2017 at 06:00 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

When they first announced they were closing, I donated some money to keep it open a couple of months longer, thinking some changes could be made to keep it going, but after talking to other members in that forum it became obvious it was a lost cause. That was the last of our discussions.

As far as merging FB pages, would that give us access to all the files and threads in the forum?
Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 AM

kulli is on a distinguished road

What does that mean? The archive of Alizeeforum.com is still online, you cant register but you can read all the posts. He wants to close it too?

Last edited by kulli; 09-16-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

This is the first I heard there even was a FB page for Alizee-Forum. What's the value of merging the two pages? In any case, I don't have an opinion about that.

As for him offering his forum for sale, looking at the AF forum Twitter posts for the first time today, this is also the first I heard about that. I never saw him make that offer on his forum, which is where I have been checking for news about that forum. Seems odd he didn't mention that on the actual forum.

It's too bad he places a monetary value on the forum data. It's a great source of information and discussion. Will it all just be deleted and lost forever? Hopefully the wayback machine will come through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulli View Post
What does that mean? The archive of Alizeeforum.com is still online, you cant register but you can read all the posts. He wants to close it too?
He has said it's been closed for several months. Sounds to me like it's going to all disappear soon.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM

kulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
This is the first I heard there even was a FB page for Alizee-Forum. What's the value of merging the two pages? In any case, I don't have an opinion about that.
"If your Pages can be merged, the people who like your Pages and any check-ins will be combined, but posts, photos, reviews, ratings and the username will be deleted from the Page you merge. The Page you want to keep will remain unchanged, except for the addition of people who like the Page and check-ins that were merged from the other Page. The Page you don't want to keep will be removed from Facebook, and you won't be able to unmerge it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
He has said it's been closed for several months. Sounds to me like it's going to all disappear soon. It's a great source of information and discussion. Will it all just be deleted and lost forever? Hopefully the wayback machine will come through.
Yes its a great source. It would be a pity and a big loss to the fan community if all lost forever!
I have sent a tweet to contact him.

Last edited by kulli; 09-16-2017 at 08:27 PM..
Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM

I'll first say that there is lot more I don't know than know about servers and web pages than I do know, but I'll offer some opinions on the little I know.

I'm sure Riccardo will not sell the server at a low price.

What we really want from AF is the all the posts that members made, offering opinions, experiences, translations, etc.

I don't see a way we can make that info available on our FB page other than posting a link to a web site server.

There are all different types of servers. There's a platform server which holds the operating system of in this case the forum.

There's also a file server where all the info is stored.

Now these both can be merged into the same unit, or they could be seperate. If they are seperate, I would think all we would need is the file server. It probably wont be easy to redo our software to access it, but it should be doable, if Ben is willing to work with us on this.

I wonder too about the power supply for the server(s). In Europe, they operate on a different voltage and frequency. Maybe the existing power supply can handle it or maybe getting another one will be an added expense.

Shipping too wont be cheap.

I see a big expense to get this done and so little going on with Alizee with nothing on the horizon, that I don't know if it's worth it?

It be a shame to lose it but que sera, sera.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 09-17-2017 at 04:27 PM..
Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Last Fan Standing

Regarding Alizée Forum, it's just the data that needs to be preserved, and that can transfer over the internet. He can toss the server hardware out the window, it's not essential.

And if he just deletes everything, so be it. I had already considered it lost forever.

Merging Facebook pages is an entirely different topic. From kulli's post, it looks to me like all that merges is the followers/friends list from the sacrificial page into the surviving page, not the actual content. It goes away forever too.

Edit:

The data from the server shouldn't need to go onto another server immediately, it can just sit on a hard drive.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 09-17-2017 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM

Here's part of a conversation I had with Riccardo via FB which I don't think he would mind me sharing.

"Hey Riccardo. I'd like to know how much it would cost to buy the server or at least keep it running for the next 6 months."

"let me know
what u think
i have no real clue just wanting to sell it"

"I know a couple of years ago when there was talk of our server being sold, a price of $200 was mentioned. I myself have no experience with them and am not sure of the operating expenses. We reduced the costs of operating our server by eliminating the video section. It was a tough choice, but we survived and I believe our costs are about $50 a month. I'm not sure because Ben still has the server. So maybe you can give me a little feed back on the operating costs of running the AF server. Take care. Dave"

"well, i could have the server running a bit more, if u chipped or someone did
if not, i would just take it offline and put a message on and backup all data for recovery."

At least it does look like he will back up the info.

Even if he could transfer that info for low or no money, I think he still would want to sell it because it will be a useless piece of hardware for him. Of course if he got enough money for just the data, then the server wouldn't matter. He could probably sell it over there.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 09-17-2017 at 08:26 PM..
Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Last Fan Standing

I may be mistaken but I think AAm is on space rented from a server farm, not on a unit sitting in someone's spare bedroom.

If he has a physical server in his possession he can re-purpose it for his photography. Then again, if he has his own hardware, then where are the huge expenses coming from?

I'm not suggesting for anyone to pay for the data nor to pay for the server/software.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 09-17-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

There are any number of possibilities on how they were configured. However, if he did own physical equipment, then it is now old. It would likely need to be replaced anyway before too long.

Bottom line is that we are looking more for the files than the physical hardware.

The issue would be maintaining whatever connectivity that the software provides. Moving the files into a different environment could take a lot of work.

Hosting costs have gone way down from years ago as storage is now very inexpensive. These days it would not generally make sense to have your own server unless you job is in IT administration. As storage costs are so low now, these files could be added to what we already have essentially for free. Again, the trick is in getting the existing file intelligence incorporated into our current system.