Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road
Default Math help

can some help me with this real quick thanks;
we have the function f(x)= lxl (absolute value of X) Ok easy, you graph that and you start at 0,0 and you just go up 1 and over 1 in both directions until you want to stop. You end up with the V shape starting from 0,0 in which you are suppose to get. Ok all is well now. Than they want you to transform that to h(x)= -lx-4l Ok I reflected over the x axis for my first step. That takes the - away in front of the lx-4l. Now the 2nd step is to slide it over 4. Since its negative you move it to the right. When its positive you move it to the left. Simple yes; no not really. In the books answer they moved it to the left 4, when its supposed to be moved to the right 4. Now im pretty sure the book made a mistake but can someone confirm that for me. Or if im wrong can you exlpain to me why they moved it to the left and not the right. Thanks. Ive been studying this shit all day and im really stressed and fed up with this.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 09-09-2008 at 12:54 AM..
Old 09-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

X = -B ± Square Root, B squared - 4ac

(kidding, I am not Mr. Mathman )
Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Mr. Mike

dude i am seriously not in the mood. I spent the whole day today studying with only minor breaks to eat and use the bathroom. I went to a chemistry optional review class because I cant understand my nazi chem teacher and his german accent. There are 400 kids in the class and he goes wayyyyyyyyyyyy too fast on everything. Math my best subject is walking up to me and bitch slapping me in the face. I have class early tomorrow and I just want to go to bed.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 AM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
dude i am seriously not in the mood. I spent the whole day today studying with only minor breaks to eat and use the bathroom. I went to a chemistry optional review class because I cant understand my nazi chem teacher and his german accent. There are 400 kids in the class and he goes wayyyyyyyyyyyy too fast on everything. Math my best subject is walking up to me and bitch slapping me in the face. I have class early tomorrow and I just want to go to bed.
You're right, the graph should be moved to the right not the left. Sounds like you're having a rough day, same here (it's almost one and I'm not even halfway through with my history reading ). Junior year is a bitch...I can't even imagine college...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsluver41 View Post
You're right, the graph should be moved to the right not the left. Sounds like you're having a rough day, same here (it's almost one and I'm not even halfway through with my history reading ). Junior year is a bitch...I can't even imagine college...
Thanks bro yeah jr year is hard but college OMG its so hard. Good luck with your school. I am having a hard day.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

It would be useful to have the original problem in its integrity.

If it is a simple -4 horizontal transformation, then the graph should be shifted 4 places to the left. Your explanation confused me, so I'm unsure whether or not this is of any help.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

I haven't done absolute value graphs in 3 years, but I believe since its an absolute value the -4 would turn positive, and it would be shifted positive on the graph.

What class is this?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

I have one of those newfangled graphing calculators, and I confirmed what you did. y = |x-4| will have horizontal shift 4 units to the right, just as you thought. While absolute value is tricky, the rules of applying transformations stay the same.

Are you taking the Advanced Functions and Calculus class? I guess you're still in review right now -- you'll eventually study inequalities, and some of them deal with absolute value. It was a pretty fun course, but you have to make sure to keep up.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I haven't done absolute value graphs in 3 years, but I believe since its an absolute value the -4 would turn positive, and it would be shifted positive on the graph.

What class is this?
This is college Trigonometry and Calculus. I asked my professor and she said the book made an error. Thanks for your help guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
I have one of those newfangled graphing calculators, and I confirmed what you did. y = |x-4| will have horizontal shift 4 units to the right, just as you thought. While absolute value is tricky, the rules of applying transformations stay the same.

Are you taking the Advanced Functions and Calculus class? I guess you're still in review right now -- you'll eventually study inequalities, and some of them deal with absolute value. It was a pretty fun course, but you have to make sure to keep up.
^ahhh I miss mine, I left it at my house and forgot to bring it lol. My professor doesn't allow them anyway though, which sucks. Yes we are in review, we are reviewing some precalculus and all. The absolute value is easy, you just start from the origin and branch out to the left and to the right since absolute value means amount of places from 0. You end up getting a V shape.

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 09-10-2008 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Wow, college must suck, glad I didn't go.

What kind of education is teaching V's and crap in MATH?