Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Fan Art

Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road
Default The Alizée America Birthday Fan Art Contest!

Contest FAQ

Q: I'm an Alizée fan, but I'm not from America. Can I still enter/vote?

A: Of course! Even though the site is called Alizée America, ours is an international community consisting of fans from all over the world! (In fact, I'm actually Canadian myself, eh! :P)

Q: I'm a new Alizée fan (or I'm an Alizée fan who's new to Alizée America). Can I still enter/vote?

A: Anybody who's a member here at Alizée America is welcome to vote or submit an entry...but remember that the contest is being voted on my the members of the community. Hopefully the cream will rise to the top, and people won't be averse to voting for a really great project from a newcomer...but it still wouldn't hurt to get to know people here, and let them get to know you, before posting your magnum opus.

(Caveat to the above: Like I said, I will be monitoring the contest threads for shenanigans. This includes looking for multiple accounts created by the same person. Let's keep it honest, OK? Keep your sock puppets in your sock drawer, please. )

Q: How many times can I enter?

A: Community members are limited to one entry apiece in each of the four categories. This means you can submit both a video and a song, or a poem and drawing, but you can't submit both a poem and a short story, since they're both in the 'Writing' category. (You can develop as many different ideas from the same category in the forum as you want up until the deadline, though. So don't hesitate to "test drive" your ideas with the community on the forum before you settle on the one you want to submit!)

Q: Are we allowed to collaborate with other members?

A: Absolutely! In fact, we encourage it! Just keep in mind that you're restricted by the 'one entry per category' rule. If you and a friend are co-writing a story, that means you can't submit a poem of your own, too.

Q: My project doesn't fit into any of your narrowly defined categories!

A: Actually, I've tried to keep the categories as broad as possible, but if you're not sure where it fits, PM me and we'll figure it out together.

Q: What do I get if I win?

A: Bragging rights, mainly. You get to see your creation immortalized on the front page of Alizée America on Alizée's birthday, and the warm, satisfactory glow of a job well done.

Q: No seriously, what do I get if I win?

A: Well OK...it's top secret, so don't go telling everybody...but the winners will also receive a free, very exclusive piece of custom Alizée America swag. We don't want to reveal what it is just yet, but it's something that the community has been asking for, for a long time. Stay tuned for details!

Q: What happens if two projects get the same number of votes?

A: In the event of a tie, the winner in that category will be chozen by the staff of Alizée America.

Q: My concept is a little "edgy"/"controversial"/"adult in nature". Is that OK?

A: Contest entries will be held to the same standards as any other forum post on Alizée America, so the same rules apply: no politics, no religion, and nothing that would offend Alizée. I'd also prefer we err on the side of caution, and avoid any strong language. If you feel your project pushes the envelope on this, PM me and we'll discuss it. (But, uh, do keep in mind the whole "Happy Birthday" theme, huh?)

Q: Why do we have to stick to the "Happy Birthday" theme?

A: Um, because that's kind of the whole point of the contest? If you have an unrelated Alizée project you'd like the world to see, we have this whole other section for that!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Exclamation The Alizée America Birthday Fan Art Contest! (Deadline extended!)

Hello Lilly Town people! Welcome to the Alizée America Birthday Fan Art contest!

Alizée's 25th birthday is fast approaching, and Alizée America needs some talented fans to help us celebrate it in style! From now until August 10, community members can submit one piece of work in each of the following four categories:

Static Image (original art, Photoshop signature/desktop, etc.)
Music (Remix, original composition, etc.)
Video (Music video, animation, digitial short, etc.)
Writing (Short prose, poetry, etc.)

The theme for the contest is, naturally, “Happy birthday Alizée, from your fans at Alizée America”

Once submissions are closed, we'll be opening up a voting thread for each category. From August 11 until August 14, the community will have the chance to vote for their favorites!

The winners will be revealed on Alizée's birthday, August 21, on the front page of Alizée America, along with links to the other entries!

We'd like to encourage our artists to use this forum to share their development process with the community during the contest phase, and maybe even engage in a little shameless self-promotion (within reason, of course) during the voting phase. Show us the evolution of your project from start to finish, and get some feedback from your fellow fans to make it even stronger! Naturally, some people are going to want to play their cards close to their chest, but in my experience, it’s the people who really get the community involved that fare best in contests like this. I think if enough people get involved—and we do have some really talented people in the community—it has the potential to get everybody really excited!

Once your project is ready for submission, send me a PM with a link to "officially" enter it in the contest. You can change it as much as you like right up until the submission deadline of midnight PST on August 10, at which point all the entries will be considered "locked in".

Voting will begin the next day, August 11, just as quickly as I can get the voting threads for each category up on the forum, and will close at midnight PST on August 14. Community members will each be able to vote once in each category. I will be monitoring the voting threads for shenanigans, so please keep it friendly and honest, OK? Above all, please keep in mind that this is all supposed to be for fun!

And that's it! If you have any other questions that I haven't covered here, please let me know either below or in a PM, and I'll add the answer here.

Thanks gang! Best of luck to all!

Last edited by Ruroshen; 08-06-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Deadline extended for all the procrastinators out there ;)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

You really know how to screw around with me Ruro.
Just when I thought this year would be nice and easygoing. :\
Old 06-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
You really know how to screw around with me Ruro.
Just when I thought this year would be nice and easygoing. :\
Dang, you figured it out. Some of my best ideas come from me sitting here and idly wondering "How can I screw with Barrett?"
Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Faded into Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Dang, you figured it out. Some of my best ideas come from me sitting here and idly wondering "How can I screw with Barrett?"
Happy anniversary by the way.
'Tis the month of June, and you joined June of last year.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Happy anniversary by the way.
'Tis the month of June, and you joined June of last year.
Ah, that first year of Alizée is always magical...

And actually, the site celebrated it's third anniversary this past Monday, something that slipped even my mind!

Good luck to everyone in the contest. I can't wait to see what you create!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Faded into Gray

Just one little itch on the back of my head, should we split the traditional artists and the computer artists? It's kind of an apples and oranges kind of deal isn't it?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Just one little itch on the back of my head, should we split the traditional artists and the computer artists? It's kind of an apples and oranges kind of deal isn't it?
I thought about it, but you could make the same argument for prose and poetry, or for remixes versus original compositions. If we wind up with twenty-five different categories for each little niche, it really dilutes the competition. I've deliberately tried to keep them as broad as possible.

That being said, we can always revisit this if it genuinely becomes an issue. Let's wait and see what happens.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Pronounced "I'm Rahj" ;)

ImRawdg is on a distinguished road

Sweeeeet. I already planned on starting another recording after I get my mixer modified. I'm really excited about it.

Edit: After reading the FAQ, a normal song of mine wouldn't fit the "happy birthday" theme... I wonder if it would still pass.

Last edited by ImRawdg; 06-18-2009 at 03:02 AM..
Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRawdg View Post
Edit: After reading the FAQ, a normal song of mine wouldn't fit the "happy birthday" theme... I wonder if it would still pass.
Just to follow up on this: part of the reason for the restriction of the theme is to actually encourage creativity and see how far you guys can push it, or how you can twist it to make it work with your style!

That having been said, it doesn't have to be "all birthday, all the time", either. Subtext works too, and subtle allusions or tongue-in-cheek references to the theme (the more clever, the better) are all OK by me.

Last edited by Ruroshen; 06-18-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Tags
birthday, contest, fan art, faq