Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 04-05-2020, 03:16 AM

joebanana is on a distinguished road

Alizee Moi Lolita official video with English subtitles

I made a Croatian version of this video and would like to put it on YouTube, but I think the English version would be better for Alizee's popularity.
So I made an English version that probably needs a little bit more refinement by a person who speaks more natural English.
The first major problem you'll notice is probably the part where the angry mom yells at Alizee.
"Did cat eat your tongue" It's a phrase in my language "why are you silent" or "say something" and is a great connecting detail for later text (When I throw my tongue at cats)
But I never heard that expression in English so maybe it should be replaced, I don't know ...
Another possible problem is with "It's Not My fault"

It's not my fault
And when i give up
I see others
All ready to jump on me
It's not fault of...Me--------(when you watch the video it goes well with "Me" in the end...)

Here is the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Be...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 PM

24Shepherd24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post

I made a Croatian version of this video and would like to put it on YouTube, but I think the English version would be better for Alizee's popularity.
So I made an English version that probably needs a little bit more refinement by a person who speaks more natural English.
The first major problem you'll notice is probably the part where the angry mom yells at Alizee.
"Did cat eat your tongue" It's a phrase in my language "why are you silent" or "say something" and is a great connecting detail for later text (When I throw my tongue at cats)
But I never heard that expression in English so maybe it should be replaced, I don't know ...
Another possible problem is with "It's Not My fault"

It's not my fault
And when i give up
I see others
All ready to jump on me
It's not fault of...Me--------(when you watch the video it goes well with "Me" in the end...)

Here is the video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Be...ew?usp=sharing

I've seen this video a million times, but this is the first with an English translation. Now, I think I'll watch it for another million. Thanks Joebanana.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Shepherd24 View Post
I've seen this video a million times, but this is the first with an English translation. Now, I think I'll watch it for another million. Thanks Joebanana.
Without some constructive help, this is the best I can do.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:51 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Without some constructive help, this is the best I can do.
I think there is room for a lot of improvement and I and I'm sure others would gladly help you.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:49 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yes--- "cat got your tongue" has a similar meaning in English.

For the captions, the mother could say to Alizee:
"Has the cat got your tongue?"

I've often wondered about that lyric:
Et quand je donne ma langue aux chats

If there was a song with an English lyric "When I give my tongue to the cat", then I might interpret that to mean "When I choose to be silent."

?

Edit:

Forget what I said about choosing to be silent...

This explains it:

"On the other hand, to give your tongue to the cat symbolizes failure. If you give your tongue to the cat you give the animal a lot of power, increasing the notion that the cat has more knowledge and wisdom than you."

To Give One’s Tongue to the Cat or a Month of French Idioms from A to Z

https://evelyneholingue.com/2015/04/...s-from-a-to-z/

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 04-07-2020 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM

These are the subtitles I used and this makes it easier to fix

They call me Lo-lita
Lo or just Lola
That's the same

They call me Lo-lita
When I dream of wolves
It's Lola who bleeds
When I make a slip of the tongue
So much for laughing like crazy
I almost look like a phenomenon

They call me Lo-lita
Lo of life, Lo of Abundant love-----------(this part can always be made better)

It's not my fault
And when i give up
I see others
All ready to jump on me
It's not fault of...Me----------------( what is better, this way or "It's not my fault")
If I hear all around me
LOLITA
Me...Lolita!

They call me Lo-lita
Hot tempered and not
I'm half-cotton, half-wool
Quiet and with a mouth that doesn't speak
Mum that I'm a phenomenon------------------------(maybe "to mum")

They call me Lo-lita
Lo of life, Lo of Abundant love
--------------------------------------------------------
Yellow subtitles

(I hope because of the ugly words that you all realize that this is just acting)

Wait!
Wait... Wait!
Wait!
Wait!
I'd like to know...
I'd like to know...Do...
Do you love me?
I love you...And...
Do you have 200 francs?-----------------(That sounds too formal to me, maybe the same question in another more relaxed way)
Yes!
Thanks!
I'll give it back to you.
No, it's okay...Keep it...

Ah...I got tired a lot --------------(Ah...I'm tired a little.)

Last edited by joebanana; 04-12-2020 at 04:38 PM..
Old 04-09-2020, 09:00 AM

Maybe now that we have some more people posting, others will add their input because I've said before, my French is very, very limited.

Here is what I'd say for Alizee's lines in the song. As far as what the woman says who is yelling at her, I'm not even going to touch those lines.

Me I'm called Lolita
Lo or well Lola
It's all the same to me
Me I'm called Lolita
When I dream of wolves
It's Lola who bleeds
When I have a slip of the tongue, I have
a laugh that's crazy for one whose a phenom
I am called Lolita
Lo of life, Lo of a diluvial love
(As you mentioned, this part can be made better. Abundance isn't bad, but diluvial means a flood, in this case a flood of love, so I think it might be best to stick with diluvial, though it's a word I seldom hear)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not my fault
And when i give my tongue to the cats
(We've had a lot of discussion on this line before. I'm sure it has a double entendre that MF is noted for. I've heard there is a French saying that this line represents, but I also think it means something else which is pretty close to how I spelled it out and I can't say anything more in public. So maybe we're better off looking for the other meaning of it)
I see the others
All ready to jump on me
It's not my fault
If I hear all around me
L.O.L.I.T.A. (You had just put Lolita, but she does spell it out though the pronunciation of some of the letters might vary a little bit from the real thing)
My Lolita ( This I'm sure is the wolves talking to her)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Me I'm called Lolita
Student below, stockings of methylene blue (I had always thought of it as jeans of methylene blue but maybe stockings of that color are something a lolita is more likely to wear)
Me I'm called Lolita
Hot tempered and not
Half-cotton, half-wool
Quiet and with a mouth that doesn't tell,
mum that I'm a phenomenon (Here the comma after tell and the small m at the start of mum are needed to show it's a continuation of the first line)
They call me Lolita

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 04-09-2020 at 09:04 AM..
Old 04-12-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Maybe now that we have some more people posting, others will add their input because I've said before, my French is very, very limited.

Here is what I'd say for Alizee's lines in the song. As far as what the woman says who is yelling at her, I'm not even going to touch those lines.

Me I'm called Lolita
Lo or well Lola
It's all the same to me
Me I'm called Lolita
When I dream of wolves
It's Lola who bleeds
I am called Lolita
(As you mentioned, this part can be made better. Abundance isn't bad, but diluvial means a flood, in this case a flood of love, so I think it might be best to stick with diluvial, though it's a word I seldom hear)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not my fault
And when i give my tongue to the cats
(We've had a lot of discussion on this line before. I'm sure it has a double entendre that MF is noted for. I've heard there is a French saying that this line represents, but I also think it means something else which is pretty close to how I spelled it out and I can't say anything more in public. So maybe we're better off looking for the other meaning of it)
I see the others
All ready to jump on me
It's not my fault
If I hear all around me
L.O.L.I.T.A. (You had just put Lolita, but she does spell it out though the pronunciation of some of the letters might vary a little bit from the real thing)
My Lolita ( This I'm sure is the wolves talking to her)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Me I'm called Lolita
Student below, stockings of methylene blue (I had always thought of it as jeans of methylene blue but maybe stockings of that color are something a lolita is more likely to wear)
Me I'm called Lolita
Hot tempered and not
Half-cotton, half-wool
mum that I'm a phenomenon (Here the comma after tell and the small m at the start of mum are needed to show it's a continuation of the first line)
They call me Lolita
I don't see any particular reason why we wouldn't translate angry Lolita's moms language.
It's Lolita, the character.It’s not real life Alizee,
otherwise I would be the first to defend her.

This is her most popular song and she is very proud of it, so we should pay a little more attention to translate it properly.
I will mark with numbers places where I see possible problems and explain below

Me I'm called Lolita
Lo or well Lola
It's all the same to me
Me I'm called Lolita
When I dream of wolves-----(1)
It's Lola who bleeds
I am called Lolita
Lo of life, Lo of a diluvial love--------(2)

It's not my fault
And when i give my tongue to the cats-------(3)
I see the others
All ready to jump on me
It's not my fault
If I hear all around me
L.O.L.I.T.A--------------(4)
My Lolita---------------(5)

Me I'm called Lolita
Student below, stockings of methylene blue------(6)
Me I'm called Lolita
Hot tempered and not
Half-cotton, half-wool
mum that I'm a phenomenon
They call me Lolita
--------------------------------------------

"When I dream of wolves"
(When I consider my mistakes)
like all of us, I did some research on the internet and found the possible true meaning of that line.
So if it fits, I would make a double line and add that explanation with a different subtitle color.

"diluvial"
I don't know that word, but if it means flood of love it fits perfectly.

"And when i give my tongue to the cats"
(And when i give up)
Similar to No. 1 We all know roughly what that line means, but if we go with a direct translation, someone who watching it for the first time won't find much sense in it.
so I would also do a double line there and add "(And when i give up)" with a different color, or some similar expression.

L.O.L.I.T.A.
I didn't understand best what you meant to do here. The same way I did, but with a dot at the end of letters or something completely different?

"My Lolita"
"My Lolita" or "Me Lolita"?
I like this, but I'm not really sure that it's the right way.
The name of the song is "Moi Lolita" and Lolita talks about herself in it, so it is "me Lolita" or "Me I'm Lolita"
I don't see why that change here, unless i miss something depending on the context in french that "moi" can be interpreted as "my".

"Student below, stockings of methylene blue"
Because of that line I have brain damage.
What is right, a student below stockings of methylene blue or a student below tight blue jeans?
I searched the internet to find the answer to that question and found arguments for both ways of translating.
These are some of the answers to that:

"bleus de méthylène: literally “methylene blue.” This is a bit confusing; usually the term “bleu de méthylène” is used only to describe the chemical compound (thank you Wikipedia), but in this song the lyric is “bleus de méthylène” in the plural. “Bleus” is a slang term for blue jeans, and “les bleus méthylène” are a type of very tight blue jeans. I’ve even seen them being described as more like leggings. So Alizée is talking about her tight blue jeans, not her love of chemistry"

Of course there are different solutions:

"I think you are wrong about the jeans in the translation.
She says ” collegienne aux bas bleus de methylene”, which means literally “college girl with blue stockings” – see, college is different in France and you could translate it as schoolgirl too, but the word “bleus” was related directly to the stockings of the school uniform – les bas – which is naturally a plural."

After that, I thought about what to do next and decided to look at what school uniforms in France actually looked like when Moi Lolita was written, which would probably be late 90's.
Wikipedia says this:

France
Since 1968, uniforms have not been enforced in French schools, a few exceptions (such as Maison d'éducation de la Légion d'honneur, les Écoles TUNON, and Vatel). Xavier Darcos, a former teacher and Minister of Education from 2007 to 2009, is an advocate of the reintroduction of uniforms: "This is not outrageous. This removes the visible differences in social status or wealth. This is an additional factor of integration".[13]
Since March 2012, the students of the Boarding School of Excellence Sourdun wear a uniform with the insignia of their establishment.
Les lycées de la défense, formerly known as military schools, require their students to wear uniforms. At some universities, the academic dress is becoming popular.[citation needed]
In the French Antilles (Martinique and Guadeloupe), as well as French Guiana, a uniform has been required since September 2008.

So, there are no school uniforms in France in the late 90's, another dead end.
After that i tried to solve this problem with logic (live long and prosper ) and ask myself some questions.

Alizee almost always performed in costumes when collaborating with MF, have you ever seen her in blue stockings?
-No!
Did you see her perform Moi Lolita in tight blue jeans?
-Actually yes!
Coincidence???

Old 04-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
................Here is what I'd say for Alizee's lines in the song. As far as what the woman says who is yelling at her, I'm not even going to touch those lines.
Quote:
I don't see any particular reason why we wouldn't translate angry Lolita's moms language.
It's Lolita, the character.It’s not real life Alizee,
otherwise I would be the first to defend her.....................]
Well I made a very important distinction in my post by saying "I'm".

Even though I'm rather low on the hierarchy here, I have a lot to say about what goes on here and talk to the higher ups on many occasions. With what was said in the ML video, even though it was just a role for her, it bothered me to see that language directed at her.

If I thought it was wrong for the forum, I would've said either "We" need to remove it or discussed it with the mods about whether we should remove it, in fact, I did bring it up with the mods, but because it looked to be what she actually said, I told them, we should "let it ride", but that doesn't mean I have to participate in something that bothers me.

Feel free to discuss it with others in here, but as far as me participating in that discussion, you can count me out..........K.O.!

Old 04-12-2020, 04:35 PM

My intention was just to make decent subtitles for the video, but it looks like it's all going in the wrong direction, and I feel a bad vibe, so my will to continue working on that translation goes down. As far as I'm concerned, I'm done with that.