Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

The more I think about it, the more a telescope strikes me as a brilliant idea, as long as it's a fairly decent one. I'm sure Alizee will appreciate it and show it off to her family and friends. It's not something they would put in a closet and forget. I imagine her father Jo would also put it to good use.

http://www.amazingtelescopes.com/bes...ope-under-500/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwO-...NCRk8C&index=2

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-9024-As...azingtele0a-20

Last edited by Shepherd; 06-24-2016 at 11:14 PM..
Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I've been doing some reading on the subject and there are basically two types and a cross between the two, "if we decide to got this route". There are astronomical or celestial which are for star gazing and terrestrial for looking at sites on the ground. Celestial ones have a much bigger lens for gathering distant light and there fore are less easily portable, but still portable. These types can be affected by local lighting and I think where she is, there might be a good amount of local lights (security) at night which may affect it.

Terrestrial are looking for sights on the ground and so are not affected by lighting, in fact the more lighting, probably the better, so I'm guessing a terrestrial one with celestial capabilities might be best.

This one Shepherd mentioned might be in that range.

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-9024-As...azingtele0a-20

Edit:

Getting back to a card to send them, I thought about maybe sending a card with the names of many members who cared to post messages along with those messages, but have thought of late maybe just posting messages alone from members of the forum. I would also ask Marguerite du Paris to interpret those messages so we could post the French translation too.

As far as the letterhead, I would use something very small compared to what went on at the autograph session. That was a big part of us. This is all about them, so I want them to know who it's from, but I want them to be the dominating part of this card.

Maybe I will reach out to members in all the countries I can, to at least let me post in the card, if they post messages, where our fans come from and maybe in their native languages?

I just uploaded this video I took which shows footage in the alleged direction so maybe night lights wouldn't be that much of a factor?

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 06-25-2016 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-25-2016, 12:38 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Thinking about it a telescope would be a good gift.
I'll cough up a few bucks also.

A suggestion if we can get enough cash together.

Celestron-21034-Ambassador-Refractor-Telescope

Last edited by ALS; 06-25-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 01:47 PM

deligna is on a distinguished road

Il cough up 50 dollars.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:34 PM

One thing I've noticed at looking into some of these items on Amazon is in some cases they don't ship to France. I ran into that with the gift for Chez Paulo and got around it by buying it from a company in France.

By the way....thank to all who have offered to chip in.

I want to remind people too that getting a telescope for a gift isn't cast in stone yet, so if someone thinks of something better, offer it up for discussion. By the way, I'll up my amount to 350.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 06-25-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Scruffydog777;256195]One thing I've noticed at looking into some of these items on Amazon is in some cases they don't ship to France. I ran into that with the gift for Chez Paulo and got around it by buying it from a company in France.

There is also an Amazon France and United Kingdom

https://www.amazon.fr/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/

https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rial+Refractor

Optronics Technologies Limited register address is 35 GRAFTON WAY, London (area code: W1T 5DB). The company's country of origin is ENGLAND.

Because the telescope is heavy it might be costly to ship it from London to Ajaccio.

http://ukcompanydb.com/company/09702...s-limited.html

The company was incorporated on Saturday 25th July 2015, so the company age is 10 months 27 days. The company registration status is Active.

Because the telescope is manufactured in California, Optronics Technologies Limited is probably a distributor. I tried to look it up on Google, but I don't see any sign on the street identifying the company. This could be because the company is so young, and Google's image of the street dates before the company opened.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35...137575!6m1!1e1

It's also probable that Alizee may leave Ajaccio to live on the mainland with her new husband, Gregorie, and then have no use for telescope.

Last edited by Shepherd; 06-26-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Old 06-27-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
It's also probable that Alizee may leave Ajaccio to live on the mainland with her new husband, Gregorie, and then have no use for telescope.
There are certainly all kinds of risks here, but one thing I'm fairly certain is that she would not move to the mainland. Now it's very possible that they might choose to have a place on the mainland and a place in Ajaccio. There's also the possibility of her moving back towards down town Ajaccio for the sake of Annily's education or for the dance school that they may still open up, but I think she loves that view she has now and it would take a lot for her to give it up.

There's also the possibility that she might want nothing to do with a telescope or even if she does like it, maybe the novelty would wear off quickly. So how do we minimize our risk?

We could just go with the original plan of buying one and hoping CP would agree to deliver it. If we choose to do that, we don't have the membership we used to have so only a few will bear most of the burden for paying for it. So buying a higher cost one for around $1,000 is probably out of the question unless we knew for sure she'd accept it.

Now we could get a decent one for around 500 and I'd be willing to put in the 350 I pledged which would limit the amount anyone else would risk to under 50 and just roll the dice.

If there was a way to ask her, I think she'd not respond just in keeping in the way MF taught her how to deal with fans.

Now we could possibly get in touch with her dad through a FB member which might be the safest way, that's if he responds. Hopefully we could have a picture of one that we had in mind sent to him with our idea. If he responded favorably, then maybe we could up the ante and buy a better one.

There also the possibilty of sending them another gift. How about a bottle of Dom Perignon? There is a store in Ajaccio that I think we could order it from. Of course with something like that, it's quickly gone, but it's the thought that counts. The cost would be 175 euros which as of now would be 195. I'd be willing to pay 125 if others would be willing to pick up the rest.

Again with this as with the telescope the first problem would be getting it to them. We could ask the store if they knew where they live and be willing to deliver it or again maybe ask if CP would be willing to get it to them some how. If we can't get that done, then the whole idea is dead in the water.

As far as the card I propose, I think that won't work out. To do what I wanted, we'd probably have to send a card to CP and ask her to get it to A&G somehow and getting a gift to her and getting a card to her might be asking too much. Hopefully we can just have some short message that would be a part of the gift.

So let me know what you think.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 06-27-2016 at 03:59 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 09:46 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

I don't think she's moving anytime soon especially closer to town. Mostly because she is only 2.75 Km or 1.7 miles as the crow flies from her parents place which is in the center of town.

As far as moving back to the mainland I don't see that either due to the fact that Alizée has said more than a few times that she wants Annily to grow up on Corse.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 PM

A couple of other things I've thought of. First of all, I've learned of a couple other people who live in the Ajaccio area so we may not have to ask CP to deliver it some how.

As I believe I mentioned before, if we mention this idea to Jo, I have the feeling he may not like it, but one other idea I have which might make it more palatable to him is along with sending to him through a non AAm member our idea along with a picture of what we propose to buy, we could also mention the possibility of if he knows of a store in Ajaccio we could either purchase it from or order it through, it would have the added benefit of giving a Corsican store a little bit of business. It may cost a little more that way, but that's not a concern to me right now.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

I also don't think they will be relocating any time soon. She could have chosen anywhere to be and she picked what she did. I don't think it's a very large place, and I don't think she accumulates much 'stuff' (besides clothes) to fill it. I was thinking that maybe they would find a larger place now but I've changed my mind about that. They would have probably done so already. Anyway, a telescope there would be amazing, but also I'm not sure they have space for it to be out and accessible. And like Scruffy said, the novelty can wear off.

I think a consumable could be better suited. I also thought maybe a gift certificate for something local, though I imagine she does a lot of her shopping in Paris. Here is the association of Rue fesch merchants. I thought they might have a gift certificate that any of their members would accept, but I'm not going to try to find out. https://fr-fr.facebook.com/comitecommercants.ruefesch I'm guessing but I think Rue fesch is aimed more towards the cruise ship tourists these days? (They recently added another anchoring point to accommodate more ships at once.)

I'm terrible at gift selection, so I'll leave that to others, but I'll add $50 to the pot for whatever is decided.