Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: Which album do you prefer?
Psychédélices 22 33.33%
Une enfant du siècle 38 57.58%
I can't decide... 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 AM

Jenny_HRO87 is on a distinguished road
Default "Psychédélices" or "Une enfant du siècle"?

Originally I thought I should create a topic like "what is your favourite album?" now after UEDS is out but I changed my mind.

Don’t get my wrong I love both of them but when I’m objective I would say “Une enfant du siècle” is the better album.

“Psychédélices” was like a potpourri, I mix of different styles. That’s not so bad at all. Alizée tried to find her style and made it well. But it also had some weaker moments. There are some songs I don’t listen so much than others.

UEDS on the contrary is “one” thing. A package in different parts. That’s the good one of this concept album thing. All songs fit together. There's no weak song for me. okay I would give "Factory girl" only 9/10 but it's still a really great song!

Lol it’s more difficult to explain why I think UEDS is the better album than I thought…

I don’t say that because UEDS is new. I thought long about this question and that’s my answer. I’m sure not all of you agree with me.

And again. I love them both. But I want to be objective.

so... what do you think?

(copy of my post at AF)
And all I see is life, life in a beautiful light."

Last edited by CFHollister; 04-20-2010 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: found a mistake
Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Karin is on a distinguished road

UEDS is better, yes... but I think we shouldn't "throw" Psychédélices away. However songs were in different style, it was and it is good album. And thanks Psychédélices she came to Mexico, made a good show and 1st time Mexicans could see her live and not only on TV.

you can agree with me or not... but I see it so

Last edited by Karin; 04-18-2010 at 05:42 AM..
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

Dang, this thread is like a rock and a hard place for me.
I'm gonna have to go with Psych still, as my favorite because of the diversity it has, it reminds me of Thriller a bit, which has a taste of rock, funk as well as ballads in it. I like the different sounds they both have. Though I agree also that the more consistent, uniform-ness of UEDS is great in a way as well. As I said I'm going to go for Psych, but watch out, the scale is still adjusting, you never know if UEDS might come out on top later on.
(Psych by the way is my favorite Lilly album, UEDS and MCE tied for second)

Old 04-18-2010, 08:52 AM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

I went wth UEDS. Not that Psych is bad at all; on the contrary, my Alizée playlist would not be anywhere near as good without songs like Mademoselle Juliette, 50 60, Jamais Plus, Décollage, Par Les Paupières, Psychédélices, most of Psych, really. But I also do not enjoy Lonely List, L'effet, and Idéaliser as much. I also have least favorites off UEDS. Mes Fantômes (go ahead, sharpen you pitch forks), 14 Decembre, and A Coeur Fendre. Do I still listen to these songs? Of corse! As much as the others? Yes! I never skip any Alizée songs. But I can only hear UEDS by going to youtube, so it is a bit more difficult. But still, something about the cohesiveness of Eden Eden, Grand Central, La Candida, Limelight, Les Collines, Factory Girl, and Une Fille Difficile draws this album together. It makes it so great; like a book, as it should, that has good parts and amazing parts. Psych is by no means bad, at all, but my least favorites on it are less favorite than least favorites on UEDS.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 AM
A Contre Courant...

Rictor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRO87 View Post
Originally I thought I should create a topic like "what is your favourite album?" now after UEDS is out but I changed my mind.

Don’t get my wrong I love both of them but when I’m objective I would say “Une enfant du siècle” is the better album.

“Psychédélices” was like a potpourri, I mix of different styles. That’s not so bad at all. Alizée tried to find her style and made it well. But it also had some weaker moments. There are some songs I don’t listen so much than others.

UEDS one the contrary is “one” thing. A package in different parts. That’s the good one of this concept album thing. All songs fit together. There's no weak song for me. okay I would give "Factory girl" only 9/10 but it's still a really great song!

Lol it’s more difficult to explain why I think UEDS is the better album than I thought…

I don’t say that because UEDS is new. I thought long about this question and that’s my answer. I’m sure not all of you agree with me.

And again. I love them both. But I want to be objective.

so... what do you think?

(copy of my post at AF)

IMO the thing that makes "Factory Girl" great are the lyrics. Musically I like the other songs on the album much more than Factory Girl, but I think it has its place and it's growing on me.

Une enfant du siècle is definitely a better album overall. It's strange though because I've always liked the first two Mylene era albums the most and if you think about it, Psychédélices, although experimental, was still somewhat closer to that than Une enfant du siècle. And yet, there's something about Une enfant du siècle as a whole that makes it much more enjoyable to listen to than Psychédélices.

I remember when Psychédélices came out and although I enjoyed some of the songs on it, I kept thinking, "wait but I still like the first 2 albums way way more." And I found myself skipping most of the Psychédélices songs and just sticking to MCE and Gourmandises in time. Une enfant du siècle, on the other hand, is a lot darker than Psychédélices, BUT it somehow works and I'm hooked.

I must admit though, I didn't feel this way the FIRST time I listened to Une enfant du siècle. But I left it on repeat (did the same thing with Psychédélices when it came out) just to become more familar with the album before deciding whether I liked it or not. And I definitely like it.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I voted for UEDS. I also think Psych was a good album and I have enjoyed it a lot. But UEDS is more coherent overall. But to put it in perspective, If I was scoring all of Alizée's albums on a scale of 1 to 10, all of them would be within a few numbers of each other.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:32 AM

sumi1 is on a distinguished road

I too go with UEDS. But that does not mean that Psych is bad...it's just that UEDS is SOOO good. Even after 2 weeks of listening (100+ times), I still have not been able to decide my favorite song
Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Aron14 is on a distinguished road

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide." -Napoléon Bonaparte
And thus, Psychedelices finally has its first vote, by me.
I always found that an artist's image throughout the promotion and performance of an album is very important, not just the album's music. I have posted before that Alizee's new image appeals to me less than her previous ones, because she seems cold and less happy. Compare, for example, the music videos of Fifty-Sixty and Les Collines. Both tell the story of Edie Sedgwick, but couldn't be more different.
Also, Psychedelices was a better, more "useful" album for Alizee. It won her the Mexican fan base, and had much better sales than UEdS. It was also her first album where she could really be herself, and for that I will always remember it.
And finally, I also prefer the music of Psychedelices. Perhaps it is because I only discovered Alizee after Psychedelices came out, and thus "took in" the songs of the first three albums simultaneously, and did not experience the huge difference and change that Psychedelices brought. But nonetheless, I truly enjoy the music and variety that Psychedelices has. It's true that UEdS has no weak point (to tell the truth, I don't think Psychedelices does either), but for me, it really has no strong point either. (Don't hurt me!)
I will conclude with the evidently mandatory reassurance that is at the end of every post on AAm that says something even mildly degrading of our dear Alizée: I still love her, I love and listen to UEdS very often, and I will continue to support her in all her future work.

I know, this isn't what one would expect to hear from me when I got my UEdS album signed in person, but it is the truth. My one vote will proudly stand next to Psychedelices, by itself if it must.

*Edit* sorry Inclining Pizza, it appears we wrote our posts at the same time. So, two for Psychedelices!

Last edited by Aron14; 04-18-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
A Contre Courant...

Rictor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron14 View Post
Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide. -Napoléon Bonaparte
And thus, Psychedelices finally has its first vote, by me.
I always found that an artist's image throughout the promotion and performance of an album is very important, not just the album's music. I have posted before that Alizee's new image appeals to me less than her previous ones, because she seems cold and less happy. Compare, for example, the music videos of Fifty-Sixty and Les Collines. Both tell the story of Edie Sedgwick, but couldn't be more different.
Also, Psychedelices was a better, more "useful" album for Alizee. It won her the Mexican fan base, and had much better sales than UEdS. It was also her first album where she could really be herself, and for that I will always remember it.
And finally, I also prefer the music of Psychedelices. Perhaps it is because I only discovered Alizee after Psychedelices came out, and thus "took in" the songs of the first three albums simultaneously, and did not experience the huge difference and change that Psychedelices brought. But nonetheless, I truly enjoy the music and variety that Psychedelices has. It's true that UEdS has no weak point (to tell the truth, I don't think Psychedelices does either), but for me, it really has no strong point either. (Don't hurt me!)
I will conclude with the evidently mandatory reassurance that is at the end of every post on AAm that says something even mildly degrading of our dear Alizée: I still love her, I love and listen to UEdS very often, and I will continue to support her in all her future work.

I know, this isn't what one would expect to hear from me when I got my UEdS album signed in person, but it is the truth. My one vote will proudly stand next to Psychedelices, by itself if it must.

*Edit* sorry Inclining Pizza, it appears we wrote our posts at the same time. So, two for Psychedelices!

I still think Une enfant du siècle is a better overall album and musically more appealing, but I would definitely agree with you on the part about her image as seeming more "cold" on this album. I was initially not too happy with this, but later came to the realization that the coldness she's displaying here most likely isn't a reflection of herself but as part of the theme of the album.

Keep in mind also that Lilly is a big fan of Madonna, and we all know how Madonna shifts in terms of moods for her albums. I mean look at how cheerful "True Blue" was compared to say, "Ray of Light" or "American Life." I think Alizee is just trying to show that her talent is multi-faceted, and that she can be more than just the sweet, innocent Lolita that we all appreciate her for.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 PM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

i like psych just so i can say psychedelicious.