Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I see things like “zay” sometimes used in American English to show pronunciation. It simply means that the zée should be pronounced “zay”, just like “day” or pay” would be. It doesn’t signify any added accent or stress or change in pitch on the syllable, just a "z" with a long "a" sound.
To pronounce the "ée" like the "ay" in "day" or "pay" would be exactly the wrong way to say it. Your voice has to stay flat.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I *am* okey dokey

YesterdaysAirRace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
To pronounce the "ée" like the "ay" in "day" or "pay" would be exactly the wrong way to say it. Your voice has to stay flat.
So the complaint is there's no sound after the "a," right? But there's no way to write a long "a" sound in English without something after it. So what do you propose in its place? (I propose we use the IPA.

I read that other thread, part of it, about how to pronounce Lily, and someone made the point that you pronounce it the way you pronounce it. We're speaking English, so we'll pronounce it like we're speaking English. Believe me, I've worked for French-speakers, and they prounounce my name like they're speaking French (rolled R, vowels as if they were French, and no accented syllable--all wrong, but, I still understood it was me they were about to start bitching at).
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
The French "é" sound doesn't exist in English, or rather it does but never by itself. It's not quite a long A; the English long A sound doesn't exist in French, either.

The long A is actually a diphthong consisting of the French é followed by the French i (or English long E). It's almost "EH-EE" but not quite, because the English short E ("EH") sounds like the French è, not the French é.

The best way to say this sound is to start saying an English long A and then cut it short. If you say this sound, e.g. in the word "cake," you will find your mouth moving into two different positions, one to make the first part of the long A sound and then the other to make the second. Try this, but stop yourself before your mouth moves into the second position. What you will produce is the French é, or very close to it. That, with a z in front, will be the third syllable correctly pronounced.

The first syllable of Her Grace's name is similarly difficult. It's not quite an English short A as in apple, nor is it quite the English A sound as in father, but rather a midpoint between those two. Say the short A sound and note the position of the mouth, with the tongue pulled well back, and the mouth somewhat flattened; then say the A in father and note that position, with the tongue more forward and the mouth open in an O-shape. Split the difference, and you've got the A in Alizée.

The middle syllable is easier: the French i and the English long E are identical, or as close as no matter. So that middle syllable is pronounced just like the last name of a famous Confederate general from the Civil War (Lee).

Put those three together, and (as always in French) put no accent on any syllable, and you've got it.
Ah, I see.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:18 AM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesterdaysAirRace View Post
We're speaking English, so we'll pronounce it like we're speaking English.
I like this, you are exactly right.

Besides, the purpose of the "Ah-lee-zay" on the main page is to give people a general sense of the correct pronunciation. It is hard for us to remember I think, but I know that I pronounced her name totally wrong before I heard her say it.

I am sure it is not a 100% perfect pronunciation, but "Ah-lee-zay" is a pretty close generalization of it. I have actually considered changing it to "Uh-lee-zay" because that is the way I say in my head.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
I still prefer Ally-zee.
It doesn't matter what you prefer, it's about what is right.

Why being so difficult about how to pronounce her name?
Just listen to it, and try to repeat for yourself.
I know that French pronunciation is somewhat difficult for English speakers (and also reverse), but just listening and try to repeat can't be really that difficult, can it?
All these silly examples of how it "should" sound is close, but makes no sigar.
If a fistful of English speakers say the name "John", most of them pronounce it all slightly different.
http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=60
http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=54 - 25s
http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=100 - 20s
http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=90 - 15s
http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=67 - 10s
http://alizeeamerica.com/play/?v=68 - 5s

and they all sound slightly different.
Keep practising.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM

outlaw is on a distinguished road
Default whats a name?

u say tAmAto i say tomAtO. whats the difference? girls gona turn around no matter how u say her name. only way this would get settled is if u brought alizee n2 this and have her write down the actual way 2 pronounce it. that'd be kikass!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Woof !

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
u say tAmAto i say tomAtO. whats the difference? girls gona turn around no matter how u say her name. only way this would get settled is if u brought alizee n2 this and have her write down the actual way 2 pronounce it. that'd be kikass!
The thread was about pronunciation, not bad spelling and grammar.

Oh, and this is the way she would write it down for the right pronunciation:
Alizée , or even Alizé, that sounds similar. (In French!)

Just listen to the couple of examples, problem solved. Geez...
Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 PM
l´ordre d'Alizée

Tiwaz is on a distinguished road

Ah-lee-zäe

<3
Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

i like the -zeh pronunciation myself. its funny how we can't agree on the pronunciation of her name. but like someone said, they all work.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Woof !

<EMBED src=http://6ebnqprhhjh7.internetfaction.com/s/Uox width=250 height=75 type=application/x-shockwave-flash>

That's how.