Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM

newalizeefan is on a distinguished road
Default time it takes to learn french

i was wondering for those who are learning french, how much time do you think it takes to become fluent in it? to the point where you can go to a french speaking place and have full-on conversations with french people. im planning on taking french classes once i transfer to a state college and im excited about it.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:04 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

i would say a very long time, if you really mean "fluent"
Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Depends on how you are learning french, and your age.

Heres a link: http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa072701a.htm

Read through that series of articles and you should understand how long it wil take you to learn french (skip to part 6 if you are in a rush).
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

To truly become fluent you need to be immersed in it. That usually means student exchange program, or something similar.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
To truly become fluent you need to be immersed in it. That usually means student exchange program, or something similar.
That's not true!

You will quite probably never develop anything close to a native accent, but you will be able to speak it fluently eventually.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

Let's put it this way guys. Why is aFrenchie good at French? Why is Alizéeclochette (Jessica) good at French? Because they use it 24/7. If you want this knowledge that much, quite simply you need to do the same thing or at least something close to it. You need to really put your back into it and work extremely hard because guess what - as a 7 year old kid aFrenchie did the same thing in primary school. aFrenchie really spent time learning his Passé Simple and conjugaisons and vocabulaire and all that. He really put his back into it and now his French has no mistakes.

In short, you need to use French as much as you can in order to achieve that goal. The more you work on it, the less time it will take, period.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Mon Truck Driver

JCC is on a distinguished road

I'm so fascinated/entralled by Alizee, Corsica, Ajaccio...France..and even the French language now after finding this site. A new resolution for this YR: Learn French!

So, I just signed up to take French 201 in college...first of 3 courses. 6 slots open, so i snatched one up! And lemme tell ya, this is gonna be a FUN year. There are sooo may hot girls in my class!! Must be something about this thing called the "Language of Love" that women love....YA THINK?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

I took four years of French in high school. You can buy tapes, CD's and videos. Even download lessons on your computer. But the best way to learn is to either move to France or take a class. There you can practice on each other. Your teacher can listen to you and correct you when and if needed. But even then, you'll only learn what is called the 'upper class' french. If you saw afrenchie and Alizéeclochette in conversation you may not be able to keep up because of the slang words they might use.

As a Spanish teacher once told me, 'The kids who take Spanish learn spanish, they do not learn mexican.'

I commend those who want to learn French. It keeps your mind active and it broadens your mind. It also helps to bridge the gap between us and Europe. Plus it is so cool to be able to listen to Aliz'ee and know what the heck she's saying.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

I took French for 7 years, from 7th grade through freshman year of college, and I was nowhere near fluent. Problem was, the pre-collegiate French classes weren't that good, and I learned more in my one final year than the previous six put together. I wish now, of course, that I had continued, but at the time it wasn't a priority for me and I stopped. It's been five years since I studied French formally, and I've forgotten a lot. The difference the last couple months of self-study (since I really fell completely for Alizée) has made though is huge.

At my current level, I figure I could get by in France without insulting people, and do the stuff a tourist would do, but I'd have problems with lots of things. Immersion really is the key. A person who has studied for a year or two, and then spent a semester in France studying and interacting, will blow me out of the water.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 PM

Azereus is on a distinguished road

It really pisses me off that I stopped taking french in my first year of highschool since it was really difficult for me and none of my friend were taking it. If I had know about Alizee at the time, I would have probably(ignore probably, of course I would have)taken french.