Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Is there a change in her career strategy?

What are their career plans
With the announcement of Alizée's upcoming festival in Poland and fashion show in Mexico appearances, I wonder if this is a change in career strategy for them or maybe it was part of their plan all along.

Alizée was on top of the music world back in 2003. Then she became a forgotten star but unlike so many other stars who suffer that fate, in 2004 with her winning DALS season 4, she was once again on top of the Entertainment world.

After marrying Gregoire, I think she would have been quite happy to open up a dance school that would provide them with the steady source of income they would need to live out their remaining years in happiness.

But the only problem with that is she married Gregoire. He seems to be a high energy guy and he is also as a biography I recently read about him said, creative. I think he if far from ready to retire from the mainstream. In fact I think he wants to strike and strike often, while the iron is still hot.

The Dance studio has been open for about a year now. I can't see it as a big money maker as a Facebook friend recently mentioned to me. They don't work a full 40 hour schedule. People ususally aren't willing to pay that much for dance lessons. The competition they took part in Viene, plus the big Gala, must be expensive endeavors that probably don't bring in a whole lot of money. They also hired another professional dancer at the studio who I'm sure will need to be well compensated.

So though the studio does bring in some income, I think a big part of what the school does is allow Gregoire to explore his own creativity. I think it's through his dedication and his love of dance that led the team from Ajaccio to finish 3rd out of 16 teams in that competition in Vienne after the school had only been in operation for about 8 months.

But I think a big part of what he wants to accomplish requires that their popularity stays high. That will keep more students wanting to go to Lyonnet dance studio Ajaccio. More importantly it will keep them in demand at these dance work shops at different towns and resorts. Their popularity kept them in demand for the DALS Tournées which was probably a nice pay check for them, but now that is gone and they have to find a way to replace that income, but also have to find a way to maintain their place in the entertainment world.

I think that's what these upcoming appearances for Alizee are all about. I'm sure she doesn't want to go on a long tour, but if she can make an occasional appearance to bring in some money here and there and to keep her name in the head lines, then that's what she'll do. It's part of their career strategy.

To make the best of this opportunity, she has to put on a good show in Poland. She can't go in there thinking well this is a festival that not many people outside of Poland will see it so if she doesn't do well, it doesn't matter. A lot of people all across the world will be watching this performance, most via Youtube I'm sure and a lot of people will have their fingers crossed, that Alizee will put on a type of show, they haven't seen enough of since 2004. A good show has the potential to make future appearances like this, bring in a bigger paycheck.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I have always told my sons to pursue a career they are passionate about and the money will follow. The work doesn't seem as hard and the days not as long if you love what you are doing. The natural by-product of loving what you are doing is to go above and beyond the expectations, and that does pay off.

I like your analysis and there is a good chance that what you propose might be true. Diversify and create multiple streams of income. It's a great strategy to pay the bills, but it still does not answer the question of whether Alizee is doing this for a paycheck, or because she has a passion for singing and wants to get back into it, and the paycheck is the reward for it?

If she is just going through the motions merely to get a paycheck, it absolutely will show. She will do just enough and nothing more. If she has missed singing and realized that it is an important part of her career and is important to her, it will show as well.

I guess we will find out in a few weeks!

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 08-20-2018 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 PM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Everyone on this board wants to reboot Alizee's singing career.

But what is fascinating about Alizee isn't her voice, its her physical appearance and her personality.

Its simple: Alizee should become an actress and make movies.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:53 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

As I have said for years, Alizée is a performer and a personality, not a singer (even though she calls herself one).
Old 10-21-2018, 02:08 AM

Clevercowboy: "It's a great strategy to pay the bills, but it still does not answer the question of whether Alizee is doing this for a paycheck, or because she has a passion for singing."

I don't think she is doing any of it for the money.

I read on the internet that her net worth is $50 million. (This is the wealth that she amassed from 2000-2003.)

It is hard to know exactly what a celebrity is worth, but let's assume that her net worth really is $50 million.

At 10% annual return, she would have $5 million per year in income. This is more than enough money to live very comfortably for the rest of her life.

In terms of singing, her voice is good--- but not great. And I think she knows it.

I think she should try acting. Not for the money, but I think its something that she would enjoy. (And its something that we would enjoy.) I think she would make a great actress--- a fantastic actress, actually.

I would, for instance, like to see her in a science-fiction movie. Not as a lead character, but as part of an ensemble cast. I'm serious.

Starring in a good science-fiction movie would certainly be better than doing karaoke in Poland.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:39 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum Mr Coucou.

I'm sure everyone in here has a different opinion on these subjects. I kind of question that net worth of 50 million dollars. I think she treasured the view from the place she used to live in near the Blood Islands. Granted the place was probably getting a little more crowded with the addition of Gregoire and Jon Snow, but she moved into an older building, where there is lots of traffic.

Maybe that was better for Annily attending school and maybe it was better for her if she has that baby she seems to want which would leave her close to her parents/baby sitters, but she could have had both or she could have had a place built for her out by Little Capo in addition to her new place, if she was worth that much. She seems to spend a lot on accessories which leads me to believe she isn't that frugal, so why not two places, if she has that much money?

I think she has everything she wants in life, with the exception of at least one more baby. She's an extremely lucky person in the sense she was once the hottest female singer for 3 years in Europe, then she walked away from what made her that and couldn't even hold a conert in her home country after leaving MF/LB.

But unlike so many other stars who quickly fall out of the lime light, she found herself back on top again with DALS and without MF/LB. She was a star on her own merit and had nothing else to prove.

I think she'd be perfectly content to live out her life with the additon of another baby, but as far as career, I think she's perfectly happy with just the dance studio with the income it provides. The only thing I think she's happy with would be an occassional appearance on a show that features other singers or maybe an interview or like the game show she was on or in an interview, but I don't think she wants to have any part in anything that takes her away from Corsica for an extended period of time.

I think she'd make a wonderful actress, but though I hate to bring it up again, she pretty much shot herself in the foot with all the tattoos. Now Scifi was mentioned which might be a good selection for her with costumes she might wear, but then it comes back to the fact that I don't think she wants to spend any extended period of time away from Corsica, even for just a movie. In fact, it was said, she turned down a role in a movie I believe a couple of years ago though I never heard the details of it.

I think Greg is probably behind why she appeared in Warsaw and why she was going to appear in Mexico. I think she was offered these gigs and mentioned it to Greg and he was the one who said she should do it, because he is a driving force. He wants more and better for both of them, where Alizee is happy with status quo. At least that's my opinion.

One thing I mentioned in my recent meeting with them, I asked them if they might 'both' be in the next Les Enfoires show and Alizee quickly said no, while Gregoire seemed interested in what I had to say.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
I don't think she is doing any of it for the money.

I read on the internet that her net worth is $50 million. (This is the wealth that she amassed from 2000-2003.)
Same opinion here as Scruffy in that I doubt her net worth now is $50 million or even close. The figure is probably based on estimates on record sales, concert revenue, etc., which can be calculated, and not because Alizee offered any financial statements. Mylene and Laurent probably took more than half as part of their contract. Then you have the very high income tax in France.

I think Alizee is what I would call a "free spirit" when it comes to personal finance. They are more likely to want immediate gratification from their income versus "saving for a raining day". She even had said from her own mouth that she would spend everything she had on clothes if she could. Add to the mix her first husband, who I think was also a free spirit, and you have a couple who most likely lived beyond their means, thinking that their success will continue indefinitely. From the Psych days on, their incomes dwindled because their musical projects fell far short of their expectations.

Look at how most Lotto winners end up broke in a fairly short period of time and you wonder how it can be so? Buying a big house, fancy cars, eating out every meal, the best clothes, bad investments, etc. can eat right through a small fortune. This is not to say that Alizee went broke or anything close, but I am suggesting she is well below that $50 million figure.

Greg strikes me as the more frugal type, which is a good balance for a free spirit.

Quote:
I think she should try acting. Not for the money, but I think its something that she would enjoy. (And its something that we would enjoy.) I think she would make a great actress--- a fantastic actress, actually.

I would, for instance, like to see her in a science-fiction movie. Not as a lead character, but as part of an ensemble cast. I'm serious.

Starring in a good science-fiction movie would certainly be better than doing karaoke in Poland.
As far as acting goes, Alizee is a natural. With her facial expressions, she could fit in doing just about anything, but comedies or something else light-hearted would be the best fit, in my opinion. She has a billion dollar smile, so why not have her in a role that shows it off?

Her tattoos severely limit her as an actress, as was mentioned, or even eliminate her as a serious candidate. While I have chosen to accept and ignore them, casting directors probably won't. If the producer want Alizee specifically, they would have to cast her in a role as herself or in a part where her outfits would cover them up. Possibly there might be a role where tattoos would be a requirement. But still, it is unlikely that acting would be something that she would be hired for on an ongoing basis because of these reasons. She might be able to do voice-overs, which is something that the French singer Lorie has done along side her singing career.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-22-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
... She might be able to do voice-overs, which is something that the French singer Lorie has done along side her singing career.
As she already has, with Disney.

I wasn't going to comment on her net worth, but have changed my mind. Her net worth is closer to $200K than it is to $50 million. Some of her recent choices confirm this. It's not that her income is zero, but her net worth is not that much.

In the US, in a typical first contract the singer gets 6%, the lyricist gets 6%, and the songwriter gets 6%. This is a maximum, not a minimum. Also, the record company can deduct some significant expenses from these amounts. Therefore, she made some money, but definitely not enough to retire on.

Edit:

See the articles below for more information:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...82610186.shtml

https://www.gerryhemingway.com/piracy2.html

Last edited by Rev; 10-28-2018 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Her net worth is only $200,000?? MF/LB only paid her $50,000 per year??? WTF?!?!?!? (Or did she just blow most of her money with that Chatalain guy??)

You said her recent choices confirm the $200,000 figure; what choices do you mean???

Thanks for the articles; interesting.

Edit:

Addition:

It makes sense that she may have spent alot of her money. She was very young, after all.

One thing I admire about her is her emotional maturity--- she had to be an incredibly mature teenager to handle all of the pressure from 2000-2003. I've struggled with emotional maturity all my life--- and I'm simply in awe of some like Alizee.

So I guess I was assuming that the maturity would extend to finance. She was very young, so perhaps not. I'm still in awe of her, of course--- anyone who can handle that 2000-2003 rocket ride as well as she did is almost superhuman, in my opinion.

Last edited by Mr Coucou; 10-28-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
As she already has, with Disney.
I wasn't going to comment on her net worth, but have changed my mind. Her net worth is closer to $200K than it is to $50 million. Some of her recent choices confirm this. It's not that her income is zero, but her net worth is not that much.
Thanks Rev for elaborating and the links. Very interesting reading. I'm not going to question your information because I know you would put something out there that would not be from a reliable source. It does make sense.

Edit:

Quote:
Her net worth is only $200,000?? MF/LB only paid her $50,000 per year??? WTF?!?!?!? (Or did she just blow most of her money with that Chatalain guy??)
I think at one time her and Jeremy had a chunk of change, well in the 7 figures. The only reason I say that is that when Alizee broke off with Mylene, I read she had to pay one million dollars to Mylene to get the rights back to use her business name "Alizee". Of course, the source has to be trustworthy, and for all I know that figure might have been pulled from the air.

I don't have a lot of nice things to say about Chatalain, so I am going to zip it, however, Alizee loved the guy and still does to some extent because he is the father of her child. I have said before I felt they lived beyond their means thinking their popularity will last forever. They took a big chance and lost. Money problems cause most marital issues, so putting two and two together, you can make some reasonable conclusions.

Alizee rose to fame during a worldwide economic recession fueled by the .com bust and 911. If she would have had the guts to sink half of her money in stocks in that 2003-2004 time period, when things were bottoming out, she would be loaded today. But, shoulda woulda coulda. Most of us missed that opportunity.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts