Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Nolwenn Leroy sang a song on this same show a while back and then sang part of another song when she was at the table with the mc and at least one other guy that was at the table when Alizee was seated after her performance. Her voice at the table without accompanying instruments was very impressive. My point is that because Nolwenn sounded as good on the fly at the table as she sounded on stage that this show was about live performances. Of course Nolwenn is much more talented in every way but possibly her dancing, than Alizee. I'm also not sure that during Enconcert that Alizee's voice wasn't autotuned to the max and a great deal of playback during the live performance. I understand the technology is capable. I have seen ZZ Top recently and I heard from a good source that their entire concert is primarily playback. I didn't notice anything fishy at the concert, so fooling fans is definitely possible. We know that all high energy/dancing singer acts/concerts use playback during the dancing scenes to allow for dancing during a song and not lose voice quality. In a studio performance the technicians are able to make someone that couldn't carry a tune in a barrel sound very good or at least sound on key. If it turns out that Alizee's duet was playback, then all bets are off as to her singing ability as much as that pains me to say.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 AM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
Nolwenn Leroy sang a song on this same show a while back and then sang part of another song when she was at the table with the mc and at least one other guy that was at the table when Alizee was seated after her performance. Her voice at the table without accompanying instruments was very impressive.
Alizée is a dancer before being a singer, you can't compare her to Nolwenn whose voice has be slowly shaped almost carved to perfection over the years like a greek statue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
@melove, the video you posted doesn’t work for me (there si no sound).
lapinschous à la rescousse !

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Lupegoulash is on a distinguished road

I like to think Alizée as an "entertainer", not simply as a singer. So with that being said, maybe a little playback is a small price to pay for overall perfection. Even after all of these years, she may still be the nervous little Corsicàn girl. That may affect her performances.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

There is also the element of deceit. I don’t care if a singer lip synchs on a show where it is evident that the performance is not live (no musicians and performance is identical to recorded version). I have come to accept that as “normal” for certain kind of shows. My problem with this particular performance of Hélène with RV and Alizée is that the makers of the show obviously wanted to trick people into thinking it was live (the musicians, RV unplugging his guitar at the end...), which is deceiving, if it is not the case. As far as I am concerned, it is not such a big deal if Alizée wants to use lip synching when it is understood by all that she does, but here, it is a little too deceiving for my taste, especially that RV is capable of delivering such a performance live, but for Alizée, it remains to be shown.

Last edited by Corsaire; 04-16-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovelily View Post
^ Or anything from mid 2011 till early 2013 or any of the les enfoireses from any year ( 2001-02-....12-13)

Or simply this...................... \/

oOver all a pretty good performance for Alizee. She went sharp a couple of times though. It does lead me to believe that the performance was live without autotuning involved. To be fair to Alizee, there are autotune mics and so we never know if any performance by anyone is truly live any more. My stepson is in a music college and plays in bands. He says he can tell if a mic is an autotuning mic. Deception is rampant music industry wide.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Why do you guys keep reposting a video that doesn't work?? Oo

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM
#Lilibugged #Alizéen #Hashtag

melovelily is on a distinguished road

It works for me, i just posted the url so i don't see why it doesn't work for some peeps here :/
Old 04-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinschous View Post
Alizée is a dancer before being a singer, you can't compare her to Nolwenn whose voice has be slowly shaped almost carved to perfection over the years like a greek statue...

lapinschous à la rescousse !

I am measuring that Nolwenn has a much more powerful voice with superior range, can play multiple instruments and I have never seen a bad sounding performance from her live or otherwise. I love Alizee for all of her attributes including her voice. I am just getting frustrated that a bad or mediocre performance from her being the rule not the exception.

If this latest duet turns out to be another playback deception I will have probably reached my limit. I agree with Corsaire. If it is known up front whether a performance is live or playback, I can live with that. I can't live with purposeful deception. Besides if all I'm hearing from any music artist at a live performance is album playback, I can save my money or time and just listen to the studio version. If I want to go for a dancing performance, I will go to the ballet. If I just want to be entertained I will go to the circus.With a musician or singer I want to hear the instrument first and any thing beyond that is icing on the cake. That is just me. Video killed the audio star! I don't give a damn what you look like or the show you put on if you truly have musical talent. I guess I'm old school. Many artists from the past wouldn't get the time of day from music producers today because many were ugly as a mud fence esthetically or had zero charisma, but they had soul and were excellent musicians. Since MTV many really talented artists never got the opportunities they deserved. I guess many mediocre or poor musicians have been given the chance to shine if they have the look or put on a charismatic show. With 3 chord guitar, auto tuning and playback you can overcome the lack of musicianship. What a superficial world we live in.

Last edited by pepelepew; 04-16-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

It seems that it has been relatively common for TV shows in France to use playback. My guess is this has more to do with quality control of the broadcast as well as making “live” performances more simple and save a lot of time rather than deceiving the public. Because you don’t have to set up all the microphones, do the sound checks and mix the performances live. Most of these performances are prerecorded in a studio, but they don’t spend the kind of time they would normally do when recording an album. Typically, little or no editing is done on the artist’s voice. Alizée seems to do these well and the recordings are “almost” live.

She also does studio recordings well. In my opinion, very little autotuning is used on Alizée’s albums. The reason I say this is because autotuning is one of those things that once you start using it, you have a tendency to want to fix everything. There are imperfections in Alizée’s albums that a person using autotune would have probably fixed. The other thing is that autotune sometimes leaves artifacts behind which can sometimes be detected. I never hear any of that on her albums. Even En Concert. If it had been up to me, I would have fixed JEAM and JPVA.

The fact is, most live concerts that are recorded often use audio recorded from other concerts on the same tour to get the best performances. They usually also record the whole concert with no audience present and use much of that for audio as well as close-up shots. I’m sure En Concert was recorded this way. We all have seen her hair change and her wedding ring appear, disappear and reappear.

Alizée’s voice is not a powerful one. People with softer voices often have trouble hearing themselves through the monitoring systems during live performances and they are likely to have pitch and other vocal control problems. I like Alizée’s voice just as it is, but the downside of her vocal style is that live performances can be more difficult. The final thing I would say is that I don’t believe Alizée has put the time and effort into practicing and vocal coaching like she did under MF. I have a feeling she has been doing a bit more lately, but I think a lack of serious practice has hurt her in live situations in the past. All in all, Alizée won’t probably have the best live vocal performances, but a lot of us like her voice the way it is. And I for one would not want to trade her vocal timbre for better live performances. However, I still believe it is within her ability to improve on those live performances if she works on it more.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

about the A voice... its really easy critize her everytime... but most singers dont need to do with their voices nothing, they are great and dont need a voice exercises... I think Alizée is on the second side, but during MF I think they didnt gave her this chance... so I think thats cause she most never sang live, and I think that was planned by MF... now, I think in the last year she made and hope makes voice exercises, cause by the last ACDLA performance she sounded much better.

Like Lefty wrote, I think too they recorder en concert without audience, buuut dont think they used it... maybe only just for the whole group practice... like we can see on DVD bonus by Youpidou practice