Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 01:28 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Time for some more promoting.

We knew pretty much beforehand that there would be no songs in Englixh on this album, but still I held out to the end hoping there might be one or two. What I was hoping for that with some English songs was the chance to promote this new album in the U.S.A.

So it came out with no English songs and I was deeply disappointed and with my busy schedule, I didn't realize until last month, there was still a great opportunity to promote this album to the French speaking people of the U.S. and Canada.

So last month I started looking for French radio stations in the U.S. and Canada and I started e-mailing them, saying I'd like to send them 2 cds (5 and MCE). Except for one internet station, I've recieved no replies. Now it could be these stations have read my e-mails and they think I'm a fool, or it could be my e-mails have been blocked by spam blocking programs. So what I want to do next is send these stations regular mail with my proposal. In some cases, stations have several djs listed and what I'd like to do is maybe send one dj a letter one week, then maybe another dj a letter the next week

I feel this album is at a major cross roads. It is being close to being labeled a failure. I thik we need to act before that happens. I think it's a good album and doesn't deserve that. So we need to promote this album to French speaking people in America and Canada right now.

So what I'd lke members to here do, is try contacting French speaking stations in the U.S. and Canada, seeing if they'd be interested in us sending them 2 of her albums. If members here can do that, I will pay for up to 100 of her new cds along with 100 of the cd MCE to be sent to them.

So all I'm asking here is members here come up with some contact information. I will do the rest, of if they prefer, I will send them the cds and they can pass them on.

The balls in your court! Do you want to make a difference, or is she just another singer to you? She needs us now, more than ever.

I had mentioned this idea about a month ago and didn't get much response and I was very disillusioned, but now Ray and MA from his distant part of the world have offered to help out and because of them, I will carry on.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 09-24-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Well I can try to contact some local radio stations here in switzerland , this country smells money so it might be easier for people here to buy the cds or download her album legally

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Hi Scruffy,
I know in the music world today that radio stations are owned by large conglomerates and have specific contracts with certain music labels. If for instance you are owned by clear channel, you can only play music that clear channel approves. The old days of a label or independent promoter being able to introduce an album, single or demo to any station is over. So before too much energy is put into contacting radio stations is put into action, it might be prudent to find out if they can play Sony/BMG produced music. Even if they can are there rules for foreign artists being introduced for domestic consumption or review. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

The only outlet that might be in play is the college / University on campus stations. At least their audience is receptive to different types of music including languages. Problem is that will take hundreds of CD's to get enough market saturation.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM

DannyMac524 is on a distinguished road

Hi Scruffy, I might suggest to try to contact the CBC for wide spread distribution in Canada. There are some local stations in Quebec one of which I somewhat remember was call Estree located in Sherbrook, QC. I know Estree has played music from Natasha St. Pier and Marie-Helene Thiebert.

Edit:

Scruffy, Here is the website for the station. 102,7 FM http://estrie.rougefm.ca

Last edited by DannyMac524; 07-10-2013 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

I discovered a local station that gave the impression of broadcasting many different international programs in various languages.

I've tuned in a few times at various times to see what was being played. Sunday there was a program in Amharic. Every other time I've tuned in there was talk program in Spanish being broadcast. I've yet to hear any music.

Monday evening I sent them an email:

Quote:
Hello,

I've looked over your website and I've not been able to find what I'm
looking for.

I'm curious about how much French language programming is aired on your
station, and at what times. Do you play any French music at any times?

If this information is on the website, then I apologize. Perhaps you could
provide me with a link to that part of the website? I was able to find some
On Demand information but am curious about actual broadcast schedules.

Thank you,
I don't imagine that it would get held up by a spam blocker, but I've not heard back from them yet. I'm wondering if they think I'm a competitor or something trying to get information. Perhaps they only want to hear from potential advertisers.

I don't feel that they are a good candidate to receive donated CDs based on what I've heard so far. They don't seem to play music at all, and don't seem to broadcast any programming in French. I will continue to tune in periodically for a few more days. Wiki says they broadcast Radio France international for 2 hours in the mornings and I'll try to listen in then to see if it's really the case.

Here is a listing of US stations that broadcast programming from Radio France International, according to the RFI website. I don't think it's necessarily up to date though. If any forum members are near enough to hear these stations perhaps they can listen in and report back what actually is being broadcast. I'm working on the two "Washington" listings.

Dallas
Freq. : 1230 AM
Emet. : KQUE
Houston
Freq. : 880 AM
Emet. : KJOJ
Los Angeles
Freq. : 106.3 FM
Emet. : VNCR
Miami
Freq. : 1490 AM
Emet. : Radio Collective Internationale
New York
Freq. : 91.5 FM
Emet. : WNYE
Orange County (Ca)
Freq. : 1480 AM
Emet. : KVNR
Porto Rico
Freq. : 89.7 FM
Emet. : Radio Universidad
San Jose
Freq. : 1500 AM
Emet. : KSJX
Urbana Champaign
Freq. : 90.5 FM
Emet. : Radio de l'Université de l'Illinois
Washington
Freq. : 1120 OM
Emet. : WUST AM
Washington
Freq. : 1160 AM
Emet. : WMET World Radio

I agree that college stations could be good candidates for this effort. There are quite a few in my area and I'm going to have to make time to research them some. There may not be much more time to make this happen.

Ok, so I found this at the University of Maryland student radio station website:

Quote:
Submitting Music to WMUC

WMUC receives piles of records and CDs every day from hundreds of recording labels. Our music staff tries to review each release and adds the good stuff into the studio for airplay. Each week, playlists are tabulated and e-mailed to CMJ and other publications for inclusion in the charts.

If you would like to submit a record or CD for airplay on WMUC, send it to:

Music Director
WMUC Radio
3130 S Campus Dining Hall
College Park, MD 20742-8431

WMUC accepts only cd and vinyl submissions. Please don't send us promotional videos, audio cassettes or other media. Please do not just send us mp3s or links to your website. Also, because we're a free-form station, we prefer submissions of full length albums or EPs, not just singles. Our DJs are encouraged to play their picks off of albums, and not just the singles that are targeted for commercial play.

Due to the amount of submissions that we receive, and because the WMUC staff is composed of full time students, we can't reply by phone or email to confirm that we received your cd or that it has been added. Do not send emails regarding submissions to any station staff members besides the music directors.

WMUC also has a live music program called Third Rail Radio. It airs every Sunday evening from 6pm to 9pm. Click here for more information on Third Rail. We encourage you to try to get on Third Rail Radio. Please note that the Third Rail Directors may ask you to send in a sample of your music before they book you. Keep in mind that while we focus on playing music not regularly heard on the radio, we cannot and do not aim to play all music genres not played on commercial radio. The music that we add and play is largely determined by the makeup of the staff at any time. When you send us music, keep in mind, we are full-time college students.
I guess I'm going to have to dig a little into their playlists, and try to determine the size of their audience before deciding to whether or not to send them a CD. Perhaps there aren't many other options though.

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 07-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Adding WMUC info
Old 07-11-2013, 04:06 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the great tips. It's been very frustrating, especially with not hearing back and not knowing if my e mails are getting blocked. I will send out some letters by regular mail. At least that way I can be somewhat certain they are getting through.

In my letter, I will ask them to also give me some info about who's music (Sony?) can certain radio stations play and I will also contact CBC.

I'll check out that list Ray came up with and also look into college stations. I've seen a lot of just internet music stations, but I wonder how large an audience they have.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Wizard is on a distinguished road

I live in the Dallas-Ft Worth area- sadly, "french fries" is about as close to French as people get to around here! I'll check out the radio station (1230 am) on Ray's list in Dallas- see what I find. 👍
Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

I just checked radio stations in soutwest Florida. Only top 40 national chain radio stations, country and spanish speaking.

When I Googled French radio stations in southwest Florida, only european stations came up.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Wizard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
I just checked radio stations in soutwest Florida. Only top 40 national chain radio stations, country and spanish speaking.

When I Googled French radio stations in southwest Florida, only european stations came up.
Similar results for me in the N. Texas area! 😁
The station listed in Ray's post (KQUE 1230 AM) is now a different station in an even less French-friendly area: Sulphur Springs!! However, as a result of my searching, I found a Conversational French Meet Up group near me, and joined it. maybe I can get a better handle on French-oriented radio stations or even get other francophiles in the area, interested in Alizee.

Last edited by Wizard; 07-11-2013 at 12:28 PM..