Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
The Scotland base was, by far, my favorite. They were a very friendly bunch, and of course I loved the accent. They kept telling me to ask my boss if I could take a trip there. They loved the pubs, and they were anxious to show me a good time. However, I had to have a business need, and it never came up for Aberdeen Usually I got sent to the most remote, undesirable locations.

Omigod, Aberdeen...

I apologize...

That town has probably one of the most undecipherable Scots accents ever. "Doric".

It's just not right, I tell you, for being in Aberdeen is like being in one of those "Twilight Zone" "through the mirror" episodes.

The buildings look the same as "normal", the people "dress" the "same", the street names are the "same", and, if you check the map, it does appear to be the "same", country, in the "same" world.

But...

The people "spout" totally incomprehensible gibberish, HONESTLY.

One of my friends, an "Aberdonian", left the "Forces" for a "high level" management job in the oil industry, based in Aberdeen, (far better paid, and much less of the getting shot at, which sounded like a win to me), and when I was up there, (usually about twice a year), we'd get together, "shoot the breeze", have a couple of beers and a good Curry, and just "chill" and talk about the old times.

Now, when he was "working", military or otherwise, he would use perfect "Queens English". Almost flawless. But, the minute he got home to Aberdeen, he would "default" to his local dialect, which is like NO human "tongue" on earth.

Initial greetings would go something like this:

"Hey min, fit wid yae be daein at wi the day, loon.

Translates to something like "hey man, so what are you going to be doing today, sir".

And things would just go "downhill" from there, until he finally remembered that the rest of the country nominally used some kind of comprehensible variant of English.

<sigh>

Scots are generally very sweet, friendly people, and generally "love" Americans. You will have fun.

Just don't do the: "Murica OOORRRRaaaa "thing"; talk about religion or politics, (which are not at all important in Scotland); or do the "If it wasn't for us you'd all be speaking German" thing, and you will be utterly fine.

Food across in Scotland, you will find to be very "bland", for it is NOT "hugely over sweetened" or "totally over salted" like it is across here.

Apart from that, you will find them to be friendly helpful people that live in an utterly tiny, but truly beautiful country.

If you ever get a chance to go, do so, for there is SO MUCH to see...

Last edited by RedRafe; 01-24-2019 at 07:55 PM..
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRafe View Post
Scots are generally very sweet, friendly people, and generally "love" Americans. You will have fun.

Just don't do the: "Murica OOORRRRaaaa "thing"; talk about religion or politics, (which are not at all important in Scotland); or do the "If it wasn't for us you'd all be speaking German" thing, and you will be utterly fine.

Food across in Scotland, you will find to be very "bland", for it is NOT "hugely over sweetened" or "totally over salted" like it is across here.

Apart from that, you will find them to be friendly helpful people that live in an utterly tiny, but truly beautiful country.

If you ever get a chance to go, do so, for there is SO MUCH to see...
Somehow I picked up on that accent pretty quick. Maybe living in the southern US for so long and learning to understand their accent helped me along (have you ever been to Arkansas?).

I am never the ugly American. I come from humble origins and my parents were E. European immigrants. Most of the places where I was sent that have the "black gold" were not the places I would casually book a pleasure vacation. I find most countries are good to Americans if you don't have a chip on your shoulder.

My travel "punch list" contains the U.K., and not just the touristy London thing. I would like to hop on over to Ireland, since "I am in the neighborhood". At least stop at the Guiness brewery.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

I like Scotland. I love European History—especially British—and I particularly enjoyed visiting the castles there. I was also mesmerized, as a typical tourist, by Loch Ness. I can’t find my Nessie T-shirt (it has been a few years...) but I have fond memories of seeing her. Well, sorta almost.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

You all might like this group, Mazzy Star. In this video the singer has terrible stage fright and the audience is inexcusably rude. But she still sounds incredible.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:51 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
You all might like this group, Mazzy Star. In this video the singer has terrible stage fright and the audience is inexcusably rude. But she still sounds incredible.

I really enjoyed that song. I'll have to check out more of her music....
Old 01-28-2019, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I really enjoyed that song. I'll have to check out more of her music....
I’m glad you enjoyed it, Scruffy. I discovered that band (and many other great singers and bands) on an independent Internet radio station called “Radio Parsdise.” It is entirely listener supported, and they play a very wide range of music: many different genres and singers both well known and virtually unknown and everything in between. I have never heard them play anything by Alizée, however, so I am planning to write to them and make that suggestion.
You might want to check them out. They really have some good stuff.

http://new.radioparadise.com/home

Last edited by Bamagirl; 01-28-2019 at 08:19 PM..
Old 01-30-2019, 03:25 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

There's something about this one that . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4VHSX57j8

It's the dog. I think it's the dog.

Last edited by Shepherd; 01-30-2019 at 03:32 AM..
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
There's something about this one that . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4VHSX57j8

It's the dog. I think it's the dog.
Very cute dog. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:13 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Here's another good song by Mazzy Star called 'Flowers in December'. From what I read it's about a person who steals someone's heart, but doesn't love them back.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Here's another good song by Mazzy Star called 'Flowers in December'. From what I read it's about a person who steals someone's heart, but doesn't love them back.
Thanks for posting that, Scruffy. I’ve never heard that one—it’s beautiful but also sad. I like watching the singer—she seems so natural. No pretensions about her at all—just a lovely voice.