Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section

Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Mylene Farmer magazine article from 2001

Mulene_Farmer_Magazine_2001.jpg

Greed is a deadly sin...but it's sooo good!

It was last November 28 that the first album of young Alizée was released in stores, a release rather chaotic, but very anticipated, however, and reflected upon for a long time. "Gourmandises". Produced and directed by Laurent Boutonnat and Mylène Farmer, this opus includes exactly 10 songs, all calibrated to be future successes, following "Moi... Lolita". An icy future, where the artist is exposed at the same time to the looks of adults [Impénétrable aussi, c'est mon maq... mon lit: c'est mon maquis], but also to the wondrous eyes of the little ones [Abracadabra Patipatata, d'la sorcellerie, même si ça marche pas].

The mood is sweet, sensual, even a little naughty. But nothing shocking, Alizée's Gourmandises, although light, shouldn't in any case be annoying. This album is geared to please, lively music, heady for some, lyrics with the Farmer sauce, stuffed with wordplay, sometimes a little heavy, let's admit it. Her first single had titillated a certain curiosity here and there, and this album is of the same caliber. James Bond Girl, young girls with simple morals, or little free spirit rocked by the wind, a whole panel of characters in which the young singer likes to enclose herself. 10 titles which will surely find their way with the public.

The visuals are all Laurent Boutonnat. First photographer to have immortalized Mylène's debut ("Cendres de Lune" cover), he will be the one to put a professional objective on the singer. Lying in the tall grass of a field with spring-like colors, the dress slightly drawn up, a saturated light, the cover is only provocative if you linger on the essence itself of the symbolism. This all reminds you, as was the case for the video "Moi... Lolita" the work of David Hamilton, photographer who put the charms of young girls in a flutter. A voluptuous image, a lascivious pose; naughty, a mischievous look, rebellious strands of hair, pretty much a made-up vision of the outside world. Following then the epicurean pleasures of the imagination of each one. "Les baisers d'Alizée ne sont-ils pas de vraies gourmandises?" (Alizée's kisses, are they real treats?)

Here's where Mylène borrowed the theme from Vladimir Nabokov for "Moi... Lolita": "She was LO in the morning, LO short, a meter forty-eight, in shoes, standing on one foot. She was LOLA in pants. She was DOLLY at school. She was DOLORES on the dotted line of forms. But in my arms it was always LOLITA", it's through these adolescent words that she composed 9 other songs. Alizée evoked moods, words, certain desires, certain fears, and Mylène relied on her gifts for the writing of the songs. Special mentions for "Veni Vedi Vici", "L'Alizé" or "Mon Maquis", could-be-better mentions for "Abracadabra" or "A quoi rêve une jeune fille". The 80's pop mood even leaks through such titles as "J.B.G." or "Gourmandises", a beautiful techno-disco-pop panoply of Mylène Farmer's talents.

"My shining star is gleaming, I have no mea culpa, I'm fine here and I like it". So much the better!