Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-07-2020, 05:56 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road
Default Mademoiselle Juliette video

Does anyone know the real meaning behind this video?
It has always been kind of bizarre to me.

Considering the lyrics of the song (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5529), it seems obvious that Alizée plays the role of Juliette from the famous tragedy of Shakespeare. But this "modern" Juliette is fed up with her role, she wants to be free to live her life without following what the writer initially established for her (now that I wrote this, it seems to be a clear reference to you-know-who...).
If I remember correctly, there should be an interview of Alizée where she explains this stuff, but I don't know where it is.

But, anyway, what is pretty dark to me is the figure of that girl with the mask... The only meaning that I find behind her is that she may represent the voice of Juliette's conscience. The voice that told her that it was time to leave Romeo (who may represent "the law" of the writer) and to be finally free.
This may be confirmed by the fact that both this girl and Juliette have a tattoo on the back, which may show the connection between the two of them. It seems to be a futile thing, but I don't think it is fortuitous. It is too evident.

Another thing which is obscure to me is the end of the video: all the girls are dancing and suddenly everyone falls to the ground and there is only that girl with the mask standing. This means that even Juliette fell...
The video ends with this girl who takes the mask off and leaves the scene.
I don't know what to think here.

Moreover everything becomes a little more complicated (and I would say interesting) if you consider Juliette as a metaphor of Alizée herself. But this makes the end of the video even darker... Or should we say phrofetic? Obviously this is speaking in hindsight and it isn't the correct meaning. So there must be something else...
What do you think?
Old 01-07-2020, 01:34 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

I went through some of Alizee's interviews that she did in 2008 that I have in document form. I wanted to see if she had said something in depth about the video in an interview. I came up empty except for a excerpt where she is answering a question about clothes:

"I'm a big fan of clothes. I spend all my money on clothes, you could say! In fact, I asked myself the question of if in the photos, in the music videos, I would again play a role as far as my clothes, or if I would wear exactly the clothes I like? I wanted to wear something new, I really want in the videos and photos to wear things I love, but which I couldn’t wear in my daily life, in the street.… I have a period corset in the video, a real corset, wasp-waisted, like that. But yeah, it’s a bit of all that. Also, I try to me inject a little bit of current fashion, without making it too distinctly dated – things that will not have become unfashionable in 10 years, much less in 6 months."

I think some of the words did not translate very well but it is still understandable.

Juliet is a fictional character from the 14th century. As Alizee says, in her videos she wanted to wear things she couldn't wear in real life, so she or the producer fit a corset on her. Maybe this is a vision they had of Juliet. I had to look it up, but French corsets were not invented until the 16th century. The fashion is off by a few hundred years.

There is probably some symbolism in the video but I'm not sure about a deep meaning. Some things seem a little random. The girls in the bathtub is something Mylene did in her Libertine video. I think I remember reading more about this video some time ago. I will try to keep searching when I have more time.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:58 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

There was a lot of discussion about this video on this forum when it first came out, including what I thought were a few insightful ones. Try searching our history.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Here is a long thread on the video.

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...selle+Juliette
Old 01-17-2020, 04:44 AM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
There was a lot of discussion about this video on this forum when it first came out, including what I thought were a few insightful ones. Try searching our history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Here is a long thread on the video.

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...selle+Juliette
You're right. I totally forgot to check the site.

I'll read this thread this evening. There is a lot of stuff

But I've already read this one this morning:
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...selle+juliette

And I didn't know this
Quote:
I remember like Alizée talked what should mean this cover. It should represent two Alizée. The left an adult Alizée, the right still the childish girl what she was (is). Except the cover, the whole album has the both sides.
I should check this interview, but I think there is a lot of other stuff like that in the thread CleverCowboy posted.

Moreover I found something which may be obvious but is completely new to me: the kiss at the end of the director's cut :O
And, after watching this version, I'm pretty sure that the tattoo on the back of the lady in black is Tinkerbell, so she must definitely represent another side of Juliette's (Alizée) personality!
There must be a lot of stuff behind this video...
For now, I tend to think that Shakespeare and the world of the pink Alizée are a reference to Mylene Farmer and those years.
If there is anything interesting in that long thread, I will let you know.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:18 AM
MMA Teen who was thunderstruck by Alizée

Kajue is on a distinguished road

Seems to be some Black and White checkerboard symbolism. Pillars in video could be alluding to Jachin and Boaz. The women in the video seem to be programmed like robots, maybe alluding to MK Ultra type stuff. (Am I saying Alizée has anything to do with this? No, I really think she didn't, but the directors and screen writers might.) Okay, thats enough rambling from me.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:30 AM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road

It’s a little weird (video), but I love Alizée’s looks!!!

And of course the music is the best!

Alizée 💜