Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I know some people think that UEdS is just not working in France. But I think the more accurate view of it is that most people in France have not even heard any of it. Alizée has done plenty of interviews, but the actual music has had very little exposure. She has only performed 4 songs once in public, and that was to a small group of industry insiders, media and a few core fans. If UEdS was more like her first two albums, I doubt it would do much better with the kind of exposure it’s getting. Scruffy’s recent radio ads featured Alizée’s old music and so far it seems it did not work its magic. As Roman once said, people aren’t just looking for music, they’re looking for an experience. Well, to capture that experience from Alizée/MF/LB’s music, it helps to immerse yourself in old Alizée videos. Being a fan of Alizée requires some effort. And even the MF/LB music will not appeal to everybody today. And today, there isn’t much of an opportunity for Alizée to provide us with that experience.

Right now I think the music is not her biggest problem. There is a new generation of people who hardly know who she is. Others see her as a has-been, and there is a mindset she is up against. People have moved on, they want someone or something new. Alizée burned bright in her beginning. But often things that burn so bright, burn out quickly.

Gourmandises was indeed a phenomenon, the kind that only comes around in a decade or so. Its impact was greater than Alizée/MF/LB combined. MCE was a success, but it sold much less than Gourmandises. Psych sold much less than MCE and UEdS has sold much less than Psych. It’s easy to look at Alizée’s career as the MF/LB years versus the post MF/LB years. But Alizée’s sales and the public’s interest started to decline steadily after Gourmandises. I think it’s a mistake to assume that if Alizée would just go back to something similar to Gourmandises or MCE, success would simply come rushing back. I don’t think it is as simple as that.

So what does Alizée do now? Probably what she has been doing. Keep plugging along doing things the way she wants, and market more directly to her core fan base. As long as there are enough of us that stick with her, she can keep going. But the level of success of Gourmandises and Moi… Lolita is probably gone. My only advice to Alizée is to stay engaged with the core fan base. It's the one thing she can count on right now to sustain her career.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Psychédélices era fan.

Marquis<3Alizée is on a distinguished road

Wow I can see I got a lot of views and replies to this thread. I was just looking at all the comments you guys posted and they all seem to be the same replie "should Alizée go back to Gour or ME. What's really crazy about the whole thing is if you think about it as we reply to this thread Alizée is think of something new for her original fans and for people who aren't fans. What I admire the most is she is fighting for what's she's doing and she's doing what she want's and how she want's to. Now that's a person everyone should admire. I can see a good future for Alizée as long as she keeps fighting and she has a really good core fan base like everyone at AAm she'll make it. STAY STRONG ALIZÉE!!!

Merci beaucoup Alizée for everything!

http://www.youtube.com/user/limelight8494

Last edited by Marquis<3Alizée; 07-11-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM

ACRUZ is on a distinguished road

My first listen to Alizée was starting from UEDS which I liked but went backwards listening to her older albums and I thought GM and MCE has more stronger tracks but had a more childish theme (no offense) targeting a younger audience that was deviced by Mylene and Laurant. Hopefully Alizée continues the more mature themes but she just needs one big hit from her lastest album which I think Eden, Eden would be a good choice to capture a new audience which I am an example. The ones from the earlier days that have moved on are gone forever, but also those loyal fans like you guys here are always be by her side.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I think it’s a mistake to assume that if Alizée would just go back to something similar to Gourmandises or MCE, success would simply come rushing back. I don’t think it is as simple as that.

So what does Alizée do now? Probably what she has been doing. Keep plugging along doing things the way she wants, and market more directly to her core fan base. As long as there are enough of us that stick with her, she can keep going. But the level of success of Gourmandises and Moi… Lolita is probably gone. My only advice to Alizée is to stay engaged with the core fan base. It's the one thing she can count on right now to sustain her career.
I wish "I agree" had a much deeper and passionate meaning because that is exactly what I think and agree with. Thanks for putting that into words Lefty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRUZ View Post
Hopefully Alizée continues the more mature themes but she just needs one big hit from her lastest album which I think Eden, Eden would be a good choice to capture a new audience which I am an example.
Although they are few, some people have found Alizée through UEDS and have enjoyed it. She definitely does need a miracle to happen for her to at least be as popular(for her music) as she was during Psych.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:33 AM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My first listen to Alizée was starting from UEDS which I liked but went backwards listening to her older albums and I thought GM and MCE
interesting to see that view point.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
Whatever comes naturally I would say.
Just today I listened to the songs again for the first time this month I think. Usually I listen to them everyday, sometimes all day if I'm in the mood. But not this past week and a half. Not because I wanted to take some "break" from her songs, I love them very much, but it just happened. I listened to some other music a bit but not much.
lol that's like me half way through a song. i have musical ADD.

Last edited by Människöpesten; 07-12-2010 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

I have been checking out all of the discussion about the OLD Alizée and the NEW Alizée and to this brand new Alizée fan ITS ALL ALIZEE. She is the greatest. For her at this age to be able to make her first attempt at REINVENTING herself is AMAZING. Remember that Alizée's greatest influnce was the mother of the reinvention, Madonna. Some of Madonnas reinventions were not at all well recieved, remember???? but toward the apex of her career she is inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame anyhow???? And how did Madge do it????? She did it HER WAY just like Frank Sinatra did, and just like Alizée will do. Does anyone out there realize the kind of guts it takes for an artist to follow up with a reinvention after realizing multiplatinum sucess???? My hat is off to Alizée because old rockers like Rob like artists WHO DONT SELL OUT TO THE MAN. And Alizée leaving behind the production and mgmt team of her childhood stardom took a hell of a lot of guts and heart. Let Alizée follow her heart, and you will see that one day she will also be an inductee into THE ROCK HALL. If she sells out before her time she may not ever realize that pinnacle of sucess. But my gut tells me that Alizée will follow her heart and not sell out before her time. THAT IS WHAT MAKES HER DIFFERENT from all the other young pop stars we have today, ALL OF THEM WILL SELL OUT, LADY GAGA< MILEY CYRUS< SHAKIRA etcad infinitum will all sell out to the man and it will bring early ends to all of their respective careers. Alizée on the other hand will refuse to sell out and she will continue to follow her dream. And I can hardly wait!!!!!!!

Last edited by RobandSandy; 07-12-2010 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrhein View Post
I have been checking out all of the discussion about the OLD Alizée and the NEW Alizée and to this brand new Alizée fan ITS ALL ALIZEE. She is the greatest. For her at this age to be able to make her first attempt at REINVENTING herself is AMAZING. Remember that Alizée's greatest influnce was the mother of the reinvention, Madonna. Some of Madonnas reinventions were not at all well recieved, remember???? but toward the apex of her career she is inducted into The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame anyhow???? And how did Madge do it????? She did it HER WAY just like Frank Sinatra did, and just like Alizée will do. Does anyone out there realize the kind of guts it takes for an artist to follow up with a reinvention after realizing multiplatinum sucess???? My hat is off to Alizée because old rockers like Rob like artists WHO DONT SELL OUT TO THE MAN. And Alizée leaving behind the production and mgmt team of her childhood stardom took a hell of a lot of guts and heart. Let Alizée follow her heart, and you will see that one day she will also be an inductee into THE ROCK HALL. If she sells out before her time she may not ever realize that pinnacle of sucess. But my gut tells me that Alizée will follow her heart and not sell out before her time. THAT IS WHAT MAKES HER DIFFERENT from all the other young pop stars we have today, ALL OF THEM WILL SELL OUT, LADY GAGA< MILEY CYRUS< SHAKIRA etcad infinitum will all sell out to the man and it will bring early ends to all of their respective careers. Alizée on the other hand will refuse to sell out and she will continue to follow her dream. And I can hardly wait!!!!!!!
I hadn't thought of that! Alizee took a really big risk reinventing herself after she had all that success with one image. Yes, she SHOULD be commended for just doing what she wants with her music rather than turning into a corporate sell-out.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Félicité

Cubeface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrhein View Post
I actually hadn't really thought of that either. Totally makes sense, and you're completely right! She's so brave for changing, and doing what she wants. Some of her fans may not like it, but in the long shot, she's doing far better then any of those other young pop stars you mentioned. Very inspiring robertrhein.

Happens all the time

Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM
A Contre Courant...

Rictor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My first listen to Alizée was starting from UEDS which I liked but went backwards listening to her older albums and I thought GM and MCE has more stronger tracks but had a more childish theme (no offense) targeting a younger audience that was deviced by Mylene and Laurant. Hopefully Alizée continues the more mature themes but she just needs one big hit from her lastest album which I think Eden, Eden would be a good choice to capture a new audience which I am an example. The ones from the earlier days that have moved on are gone forever, but also those loyal fans like you guys here are always be by her side.
Hmm...I always thought the subject matter for "Moi...Lolita" was fairly "mature" considering the content. I mean it WAS based on the book Lolita which had some pretty intense themes. You're right about M&L trying to target a younger audience with those first two albums though, but it's hard to say whether they knew that our Lilly would appeal to so many people of different ages and backgrounds. I LOVE the newest album but I don't think it has the same "universal appeal" that the first two did. Childish or not, they were catchy + pop that worked.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 AM

spysmasher is on a distinguished road

I love, love, love Alizée’s new album, Enfant. Love it. In fact, I like it so much that it has brought about a shift of perspective in my view of Alizée. I first discovered and became a fan of Alizée about 5 years ago, at which time the only Alizée out there was the MF/LB version. When Psych. was released, the MF/LB-Alizée was the standard by which I judged it: I thought it was okay, but a bit of a disappointment. Now Enfant comes along, which is so different from the old Alizée and yet so good that it has wrenched me out of that point of view rooted in the MF/LB-Alizée and allowed me to see what I call The Whole Alizée (which, incidentally, is still a work in progress). Now, more than ever, I am excited to see what she will do next.

And one more, somewhat random, observation: with all the talk of Alizée’s more mature image these days, it strikes me as kind of ironic that in the picture on the cover of her new album, she really looks like a little girl! Doesn’t she?

Tags
alizée change