Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWaters
Edit: OK, I just watched several JEAM performances full-screen from the vids on this site (that's what you call highly enjoyable research) and I don't think I agree with you that she's singing "bouge" instead of "rouge." It's a little tricky to hear the difference between those two consonants, but if you watch her mouth, it's clearly slightly opened at the start of the word, not closed the way it would be to say "b." Granted, she's lip-synching not actually singing, but I'm assuming she's synching correctly.
Mylene actually does this kind of thing very very frequently. she means to blur the lines so we hear both i think. when i hear it she doesn't say a real b, and doesn't say a real r either, its a kind of mixture of both.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Yes, I can see that. All I'm saying is that Alizée was pretty clearly singing "rouge," whether or not Mylene intended the double-entendre, and yes, I can believe she would. I think, if she did, the similarity of the "b" and "r" sounds was enough to convey the meaning.

When she sings (unlike when she speaks), Alizée enunciates very clearly. Her mouth opens really wide and she articulates everything very sharply. (There's an ACC video where at one point you can actually see her tonsils!) So it's visually obvious whether she has her mouth closed (for "b") or slightly opened (for "r") and the latter is the case.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
It tells about love of two real person who has been couple.

The electricity is just a cover up for all that. The electricity does not relate to the love story any way. The real story is just written with alternative words. With words of electricity.
I disagree. It is a song about two lovers (whether they're real people or not I don't know), but the electricity theme isn't just alternate words. It's a reference to something impacting on love: invisible currents of energy, connecting two people who are separated in space and time (note the recurrent mention of both of those, space and time), overcoming that separation, joining like an electromagnet, which pulls even at what it isn't touching. Also the danger of personal erasement in such a powerful love (electrocution), with passion being the only protection.

It's a powerful theme. Although I could be mistaken, I would expect that it was Alizée herself who most likely proposed the theme, although it was of course Mylene who wrote the actual lyrics. I understand that the two of them worked together like that.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Yes, I can see that. All I'm saying is that Alizée was pretty clearly singing "rouge," whether or not Mylene intended the double-entendre, and yes, I can believe she would. I think, if she did, the similarity of the "b" and "r" sounds was enough to convey the meaning.

When she sings (unlike when she speaks), Alizée enunciates very clearly. Her mouth opens really wide and she articulates everything very sharply. (There's an ACC video where at one point you can actually see her tonsils!) So it's visually obvious whether she has her mouth closed (for "b") or slightly opened (for "r") and the latter is the case.
Hey there. Glad to see the translations still getting read and thought about :-)

I agree that Alizée clearly says "rouge" on multiple occasions, and that the switching back and forth, as well as easy confusion between the two, is entirely intentional. My use of "bouge" however is due to the fact that that's what the "official" lyrics are, as written in the accompanying libretti. Most translations I've seen of the song treat "rouge" as if it were the official phrase, so I felt the need to emphasize the alternative.

At least, I think that's what I was thinking :-) It's been a while since I did these :-P
Old 09-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

I have no idea if this is a stupid request or not. But does any have a phonetic transcription of the chorus of J'en Ai Marre? I wrote a cover to it, but I can't get the pronunciation of the chorus correctly. If any has, could they please post it here or pm me.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Ange d'coeur

Simon A is on a distinguished road

Very nice!!
is me with nothing to fold
And feeling so without knowing me by soul is just as cold

I put my words to final, and say - By your side untill i mold or get to old,

Fan of Alizée, Now, And forever

// Simon A - Poetist / Lyric Writer
Old 09-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
I have no idea if this is a stupid request or not. But does any have a phonetic transcription of the chorus of J'en Ai Marre? I wrote a cover to it, but I can't get the pronunciation of the chorus correctly. If any has, could they please post it here or pm me.
It's hard to do phonetics without using the IPA, as our pronunciations differ between countries, and regions within countries. Also, certain sounds are entirely contextual (such as the soft J in French, written in phonetics as a combination of D and Z). Let me know if you read and understand IPA, as I'll be happy to do one in that, otherwise, here's an attempt at how I'd write it in American:

Jean A mar de se key plur
Key ne rule ka de a lure
Key se la mont A keys feex
Sewr lee day dune E day feex
Jean A mar de se key ral
Days X treem eest ah de ball
Key vwa la vee toot en nwar
Key mex pe dee dan kaf ar
Jean A mar de la grand sir
Key Jay mee too A key plur
Mar de la plui day cor jet
Keem fon vo meer sue la kwet
Jean A mar de se sin eek
A dan lay pray lay coal chic
Jean A mar dawn av whar mar. O see.

-Capital letters are pronounced as the name of the letter (A, O, X, etc)

-Every occurence of the letter J is soft, like in the French name "Jean." There is no American English combo to use for it, so I just kept the J.

-I tried to use real words when I could, but obviously that won't apply to most things.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

wow that's pretty good cooney!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Ange d'coeur

Simon A is on a distinguished road

Nice ;D that helped my studies alot with pronouncement
is me with nothing to fold
And feeling so without knowing me by soul is just as cold

I put my words to final, and say - By your side untill i mold or get to old,

Fan of Alizée, Now, And forever

// Simon A - Poetist / Lyric Writer
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
It's hard to do phonetics without using the IPA, as our pronunciations differ between countries, and regions within countries. Also, certain sounds are entirely contextual (such as the soft J in French, written in phonetics as a combination of D and Z). Let me know if you read and understand IPA, as I'll be happy to do one in that, otherwise, here's an attempt at how I'd write it in American:

Jean A mar de se key plur
Key ne rule ka de a lure
Key se la mont A keys feex
Sewr lee day dune E day feex
Jean A mar de se key ral
Days X treem eest ah de ball
Key vwa la vee toot en nwar
Key mex pe dee dan kaf ar
Jean A mar de la grand sir
Key Jay mee too A key plur
Mar de la plui day cor jet
Keem fon vo meer sue la kwet
Jean A mar de se sin eek
A dan lay pray lay coal chic
Jean A mar dawn av whar mar. O see.

-Capital letters are pronounced as the name of the letter (A, O, X, etc)

-Every occurence of the letter J is soft, like in the French name "Jean." There is no American English combo to use for it, so I just kept the J.

-I tried to use real words when I could, but obviously that won't apply to most things.
No, no that's perfect Cooney. I just needed it so that I could see what it was meant to sound like and then listen to the song, to hear it like that, rather then understanding sentences here and there and hearing the rest as unrecognisable mumblings. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.