Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-03-2008, 03:33 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par mon paupieres View Post
Even so, how beautiful she is, even when the expression gets long.

It's hard to tell the difference between contemplation and sadness sometimes, because the face goes neutral and the eyes lose focus when we contemplate.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
yes - i think she's not as happy as the JEAM days probably

her own album hasn't sold millions and she's not as famous as she use to in France. I think i would be sad with this too. No matter how much you try to hide it it's going to show up in the eyes and facial expressions.

But everybody goes through tough times - Alizee just needs to keep working hard and things will get better soon than later

imho - this is off topic - but i think 50/60 should have been the first single. It's much more upbeat than MJ and it's catchier. I think album sales would have been better if this would have been the case.
I'd like to know to why she had to re-orchestrate all of her early songs. There's got to be more to it than she just wanted to go in a new direction music wise. After all, she said she wanted to get away from the Lolita image but she still keeps singing that song.

You're also right about 50/60. They wasted too much effort on making MJ the signature song of the album.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I'd like to know to why she had to re-orchestrate all of her early songs. There's got to be more to it than she just wanted to go in a new direction music wise. After all, she said she wanted to get away from the Lolita image but she still keeps singing that song.
I think the answer is in the TV5 interview. She sees herself as having progressed artistically, but wants to maintain some link to her past music. I don't think the re-orchestrations are an attempt to compete with the original orchestrations. The re-orchestrations acknowledge her past, but allow her to progress away from it as well. I'm a little surprised she continues to perform Moi Lolita relatively unchanged, but it was her biggest recording.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
Even so, how beautiful she is, even when the expression gets long.

It's hard to tell the difference between contemplation and sadness sometimes, because the face goes neutral and the eyes lose focus when we contemplate.
Yeah, we seem to have this obsession in the US with the idea that you're either smiling or you're miserable.

By the way, I don't really recall Alizée ever saying that she wanted to get away from the Lolita image in spite of being asked about it multiple times. She said she's different now and wants to reflect who she is now and besides "Lolita" in the way the song suggests was more of a role that she was playing anyway. That's not the same as 'trying to get away from the image'. And, what Fifty Sixty said.

Merci Fanny
Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixty Sixty View Post
I think the answer is in the TV5 interview. She sees herself as having progressed artistically, but wants to maintain some link to her past music. I don't think the re-orchestrations are an attempt to compete with the original orchestrations. The re-orchestrations acknowledge her past, but allow her to progress away from it as well. I'm a little surprised she continues to perform Moi Lolita relatively unchanged, but it was her biggest recording.
I agree. There is nothing that prevents her from using the old arrangements. It's a choice she has made.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM

tbailey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Yeah, we seem to have this obsession in the US with the idea that you're either smiling or you're miserable.

By the way, I don't really recall Alizée ever saying that she wanted to get away from the Lolita image in spite of being asked about it multiple times. She said she's different now and wants to reflect who she is now and besides "Lolita" in the way the song suggests was more of a role that she was playing anyway. That's not the same as 'trying to get away from the image'. And, what Fifty Sixty said.
i think this is a really good point
but even if Alizee is trying to exemplify who she is now i think one's most informative and influential years are in their youth

i don't know how much a person can change from who they were at an early age since at that point one is most easily shaped as a person

but then again who's to say that Alizee was "Lolita" in her teens after all it was just an image

but i don't really buy into the whole maturity thing too much - yes of course we change as we get older but i think people put too much emphasis on "maturation"

i know a lot of adults that are extremely immature unfortunately
and i can be immature sometimes too - i'm sure some of one would certainly agree with that

Last edited by tbailey; 06-03-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post
i think this is a really good point
but even if Alizee is trying to exemplify who she is now i think one's most informative and influential years are in their youth

i don't know how much a person can change from who they were at an early age since at that point one is most easily shaped as a person

but then again who's to say that Alizee was "Lolita" in her teens after all it was just an image

but i don't really buy into the whole maturity thing too much - yes of course we change as we get older but i think people put too much emphasis on "maturation"

i know a lot of adults that are extremely immature unfortunately
and i can be immature sometimes too - i'm sure some of one would certainly agree with that
Well, I sort of agree with the maturity thing. I've learned things and changed over the years, but could I say I've matured since I was about 16? Maybe not. Maybe just learned things and changed. I think some of it is "maturing" - finding a different way of being that is the inevitable result of a fuller understanding of life due to experience or just the settling of a position due to such experience. That's not really always a good thing though. Maturity might also mean becoming set in one's ways. That can be good, but not always.

As for Alizée acting differently because it's more appropriate for her age or something, well, maybe she thinks it is, but compared to other people, maybe not.

Merci Fanny
Old 06-05-2008, 02:33 AM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Thank you for those who provided the various download links!

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

By incessantly cutting away from Alizée to show the band members, the video editing of this show lost a considerable amount of the subtle theatrical expression that Alizée put into these performances. Out of curiosity I measured the amount of screen time Alizée received in the Fifty Sixty performance which appears to be typical of all 5 performances. The song is approximately 3:30 minutes long. Alizee received 1:30 minutes of close ups and the band members received 1:35 minutes of closeups. The remaining 30 seconds or so comprised of long shots where both Alizée and the band were visible. I'm stunned that the band members received more screen time than Alizée. The number of times they cut away from Alizée just as she looks into the camera is astonishing. In addition to that, the switching between shots had very little coordination with what the various people were doing musically. The performances are very nice which makes this style of video editing all the more unfortunate.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixty Sixty View Post
By incessantly cutting away from Alizée to show the band members, the video editing of this show lost a considerable amount of the subtle theatrical expression that Alizée put into these performances. Out of curiosity I measured the amount of screen time Alizée received in the Fifty Sixty performance which appears to be typical of all 5 performances. The song is approximately 3:30 minutes long. Alizee received 1:30 minutes of close ups and the band members received 1:35 minutes of closeups. The remaining 30 seconds or so comprised of long shots where both Alizée and the band were visible. I'm stunned that the band members received more screen time than Alizée. The number of times they cut away from Alizée just as she looks into the camera is astonishing. In addition to that, the switching between shots had very little coordination with what the various people were doing musically. The performances are very nice which makes this style of video editing all the more unfortunate.
I know!!!! We're dealing with some real idiots here! It's like there's a general rule in France that you quickly and constantly cut away and show short clips of everything. Oh, and don't forget to get a shot or two from behind some piece of furniture or just anything that can somewhat obscure the thing you are looking at. Go back and look all all videos of Alizée from her entire career and you'll see that nonsense. They have the opportunity to know what she is going to do and plan their shots based on that, but instead it's all super generic fast cuts fast cuts. They even cut away from her when she did the 'un hic' in a really high voice on JEAM, which I would really have liked to see her expression for. So, they think since she's not dancing around that her expressions have nothing to do with carrying the song at all and it doesn't really matter when or if they show her or what angle or how close up. This is probably the thing I can criticize the most. See, that's why movie directors have 5 cameras going. Then they can edit later to show what they want when they want it. These guys usually have a few cameras and maybe for an interview they get a little clever going back behind a chair across the room occassionally, but for a performance like this, there was really no thought at all. Just keep the god damn camera angles moving like some kind of f*ing snake charmer!

Merci Fanny