Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 04-24-2010, 08:44 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default calling all musicians, what to get?!

Ok, I would like to know what type of equipment for simply recording voice and then saving on the computer preferably. I'm talking a few hundred dollars budget here. I can plug a microphone, even a half-way decent one, into a computer, but obvious that will sound like crap. I assume a good microphone and something to do the recording will be necessary.
Does anyone have any advice for me? I've gone to American Musical Supply's web site or catalog for example and oh my, there's so much stuff and most of it is really expensive.

Merci Fanny
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Well, for vocals in a studio environment (rather than a rowdy stage) you're going to want a condenser microphone. What will narrow down your search is how you want your microphone to connect to your computer. If you want something simple, there are a few mics that go directly to USB. If you want something a little more professional, you can get a normal mic and some kind of audio interface (one that supplies phantom power).

I can recommend these two of the top of my head, they go directly to USB so you can start singing your brains out right out of the box.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...2157668&sr=1-1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-CO1U-US...2157705&sr=1-2

But also, you have to prepare a proper studio setting even if you have the best microphone in the world, like don't have your mic right next to any large electronic devices or windows.... boy, I'm tired
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Alex is on a distinguished road

Hmm not a musician, but I can give you a suggestion . How about getting a small mixer, mic, and connecting the mixer with the computer.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

A condenser microphone is your best bet for quality. If you don't get a USB microphone and opt to use an audio interface between your computer and your mic, make sure the audio interface has 48v phantom power for the condenser microphone. Dynamic microphones don't require phantom power, but won't sound as good. If you go the audio interface route, just search for "audio interface" at American Musical Supply and look at what they have. There are quite a few that hook up to your computer via USB and are relatively inexpensive. Some even come with Lite versions of some decent recording software. Just remember to make sure they have phantom power if you will be using a condenser mic.

If you feel unsure about all this, you might be better off going to your local Guitar Center or music store and asking them to make recommendations. Sometimes it's easier when you can talk to someone face to face and look at what they have.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Yea, those Guitar Center guys are freaking weird, but geniuses.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Yea, those Guitar Center guys are freaking weird, but geniuses.
Yeah, if you're not sure what you need, sometimes they can be helpful. At least it's easy to take something back if it isn't right for you. I buy almost everything online now, except for guitars and stringed instruments. Those I gotta play before I'll buy. But keyboards and electronic stuff don't have that "feel" issue for me.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:23 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

cool. thanks guys, that will start me off. I'll do that search you suggested lefty.
Yeah, I've been to guitar center in the past and they were pretty cool. Probably won't need to for this, but still.

Merci Fanny