Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
When I suddenly became a fan a year ago, I first became a fan of the person. Then the music, and now pretty much everything. In early July when ACDLA came out I was really frustrated that it wasn't available in the US for downloading. I thought "How can she be a big success again if they won't sell here?" But reading interviews and trying to pay attention got me to thinking that perhaps she doesn't want the big success that I wanted for her. Until she says how she feels I'm just guessing. She has been revealing more and more recently so maybe she'll discuss this sometime too. She certainly has been promoting the new album, getting out there and being seen and heard. I've said this in PMs before but I don't think in the forum yet, and I mean nothing against her at all, but to me it seems like she prefers to be a sort of 'hobbyist' artist. Making songs and albums, and performing is something she enjoys doing but she doesn't want to live it full time. I do think she really enjoys meeting the fans at the autograph sessions she has. If she were really big she may not be able to have the kind of sessions she has, where she will sign anything you hand her, even multiple items, and permit a photo with her. Maybe to her, less is more. It is what it is though. Just my thoughts....
Thanks for all the replies to everyone .

Ray made me think the only issues or emotional bs she probably does go through is the typical critic non-sense which probably bugs her a bit but not enough to do any real harm and pressure from the company saying more more more - greedily . To which when you consider that again she herself would probably agree - less is more . Anyway when her next hit song is titled Less is More ya'll better remember this hehe .
Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 AM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

I was not talking about the cancelled concerts... I was talking about the present, where almost every artist would perform in a small club or theatre. Except for Alizée. I don't consider tv shows as gigs, I am talking about a proper concert, an event where you buy your ticket and the artist performs in front of the audience.
It is ridiculous the lack of live performaces and gigs we have from her. There is a middle ground between filling a whole stadium and not performing at all.

Instead of taking a micro and perform five or six songs, she did "DJ sessions". I really don't understand how those sessions are going to promote your music, instead of singing your own songs and letting the people hearing them.
Anyway that is a lost battle, I don't think she will perform in front of fans in a regular way anymore, she is an album artist right now, with poor sales.
And those poor sales and the lack of concerts will end her career at some point.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Less is more, except when it's costing more money to produce your music, videos, and promote you than you're making back. Do you guys really want Alizee paying out of pocket for this shit for years and going broke?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Euphoria you're on to something. Alizée needs to market and merchandise her brand. She needs an exclusive clothing, accessories and jewelry line because from what we are seeing, music has become a hobby and play thing to her. With the way the music industry has evolved her music needs to be vehicle to promote the Alizée brand and not her only income generator.

If she needs an real world example of this, she doesn't have to go any farther than Sports Illustrated Model and business woman Kathy Ireland. How about former 70's Charlies Angel Jaclyn Smith and her exclusive clothing line. Another that comes to mind is the former Bond Girl and actress Jane Seymour has her own jewelry line.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Aldighieri is on a distinguished road

Please this need lot of money..she's not a Hollywood star!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

I don't think you realize how much money it costs to produce an album.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinschous View Post
When did that happen?
You obviously never saw her interview with Feff McScwuff!

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Оле Оле

alizeefan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
I was not talking about the cancelled concerts... I was talking about the present, where almost every artist would perform in a small club or theatre. Except for Alizée. I don't consider tv shows as gigs, I am talking about a proper concert, an event where you buy your ticket and the artist performs in front of the audience.
It is ridiculous the lack of live performaces and gigs we have from her. There is a middle ground between filling a whole stadium and not performing at all.

Instead of taking a micro and perform five or six songs, she did "DJ sessions". I really don't understand how those sessions are going to promote your music, instead of singing your own songs and letting the people hearing them.
Anyway that is a lost battle, I don't think she will perform in front of fans in a regular way anymore, she is an album artist right now, with poor sales.
And those poor sales and the lack of concerts will end her career at some point.
Yes I realized this and was making a point of she does still have enough popularity to be featured on a tv show in front of a live audience .
You're missing the main point of this whole idea , again she been there done that , she isn't 16-18 anymore and probably enjoys the less hectic lifestyle of how it is now in comparison to the hey day of then .

I realize what you're saying by ending her career but how can her career every really end when you do not disregard the past success . As for the dj thing as a promotion tool i'm sure it helped but very very little . I doubt that was the overall purpose of such performances , she was probably just there to support and have fun with friends . While there can be no doubt she would prefer a higher success in sales I highly doubt , money , fame and the like are the reason she still puts out albums - more on that in a moment i'll edit in the replies to others below yours . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Less is more, except when it's costing more money to produce your music, videos, and promote you than you're making back. Do you guys really want Alizee paying out of pocket for this shit for years and going broke?
The only way it would ever cost her a penny to put out music is if she was doing so in her garage , producing the music herself with no corporate sponsorship . . . How you can think she pays for producing these or any costs therein when they are clearly by a major label is beyond my comprehension ? I'll guarantee you she is signed to a contract , paid up front for the new album , sales don't matter to her besides the fact that she is probably contracted to get residuals if sales reach certain numbers - meaning she gets more if sales are good . I find it pretty hilarious ya'll are like under the impression she has no money , is poor , spends too much on shoes ( seriousilly ? lol ) . . I've no doubt she is a multi millionaire and has enough money to last a few lifetimes . Even if in the case she did the garage band thing she has enough contacts and friends in the business it would cost very little to produce her own thing and she would know at that point as she clearly does now it's not about sales , performing day and night in front of large crowds and more just for fun because it is what she has done the majority of her life .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Euphoria you're on to something. Alizée needs to market and merchandise her brand. She needs an exclusive clothing, accessories and jewelry line because from what we are seeing, music has become a hobby and play thing to her. With the way the music industry has evolved her music needs to be vehicle to promote the Alizée brand and not her only income generator.

If she needs an real world example of this, she doesn't have to go any farther than Sports Illustrated Model and business woman Kathy Ireland. How about former 70's Charlies Angel Jaclyn Smith and her exclusive clothing line. Another that comes to mind is the former Bond Girl and actress Jane Seymour has her own jewelry line.
All that about branding and becoming the entity she is I agree great idea . I'm sure she thought of most of it long before we came to this topic as well other similar discussions here . . As for those you mentioned Aldighieri makes a good point . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldighieri View Post
Please this need lot of money..she's not a Hollywood star!
Alizee isn't any of those extremely popular of the past gals ya mention .
With such stardom comes a star lifestyle , with a star lifestyle comes high bills to pay for such . Highly doubtful to me we will ever see Alizée having to resort to being on QVC , Kmart , Walmart and whatnot to cash in . . Nor do I think she would ever have the desire to do such or the popularity to have her own line of that is to the extent of the Kathy Ireland kmart collection . . Now yes as I said above Aldighieri's quote branding herself moreso to cash in is a great idea . Fact of the matter is she isn't doing it at the moment , reason i'd say is clearly that she has no need to or would be . . Again great idea but we probably won't see the likes til she is in her twilight such as all those great great grandmothers you mention , i'll add there she simply isn't popular enough to be offered such lucrative contracts . I mean you can think that Jane or whoever it was their idea to do such but i'll guarantee you it was the idea of the parent company to brand name something using a celeb is one of the oldest sales tactic tricks in the book . It's like c'mon do you really think in her spare time Kathy Ireland designs the majority of that junk with her name on it at Kmart ? Some of it sure , most of it definitely not . Celeb endorsement is one of the first things you'll learn in business school / classes even at the highschool level , it creates trust and puts a name behind a bunch of junk that wouldn't sell as well without the star tag .

As for it being a vehicle again that will come later in life when she is more in control of her own music , not a contracted musician paid up front where the contract says do this and do that , get paid . Consider why she would want to do all this extra leg work to earn sony or whomsoever more money . . . Again don't get me wrong I totally agree with you there and think the idea is fabulous wish she would do that sorta thing now but she isn't and the reasons are pretty obvious to me anyway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I don't think you realize how much money it costs to produce an album.
Again doesn't cost her a penny , all though time is money and that is her main cost . Which she weighed upon heavily im sure before signing the contract to do it . Sony or whoever she is signed by now long before they presented her with such contracts did cost analysis - if the numbers didn't add up - poor sales - no concerts or not they wouldn't be paying her howsoever much she is getting paid . It's like this - sony , rca whoever , they have so much money to spend from making money of the stable of artists to sign a certain number of artists and they spend most every single penny of that allotment . To them she was one they wanted in the stable , yes they want to make money but guess what , they already did long before the ink dried wether it was money made from her or other artists isn't really an issue to such large companies with money to spend . It could even come down to something as silly and some of you will find this ridiculous but it's happened more than you think - Billionaire majority owner of Virgin records for instance but not the only instance , likes ( insert any artist ) and says yes give them X amount simply because I want them under my label or any number of reasons beyond what I care to go into detail but use your imagination .

Last edited by alizeefan; 05-16-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 05-16-2013, 07:11 PM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're missing the main point of this whole idea , again she been there done that , she isn't 16-18 anymore and probably enjoys the less hectic lifestyle of how it is now in comparison to the hey day of then

And you are missing mine, she is not choosing not to perform, she just could not do it now if she wanted. So you have to guess that she is more happy now because she did it in the past already. It is a big guess.
I know she is not 18 anymore, I don't know why you think I am talking about the past and her former glory when I say a musician should be able to perform in front of a live audience, even if is in a little club, with only the company of a guitar and a piano.
There is less of her everytime an album is out. Less sales, less tv shows, less interest from the people and less interest from her I would dare to say...

The reason there is no Alizée merchandise is because it would not be profitable at all right now. We can not have the "less is more" and the "branding and merchandise" at the same time, because you can not sell anything when you are in the "less" side.

I would agree with the less is more if she was this unknown girl who has a great voice and play her guitar in many small cafes and bars in Paris and sell her albums online for a few dollars.

In Alizée's case, the less is more is not something she did choose. It is something related to poor sales, hence making her options smaller.
I don't think she is in control of her career and does what she wants like you said. Her little success at the moment means she has no options to choose, she is just doing what she can do, a lot of autograph sessions and some tv or radio shows, she does not have 20 offers in her table to go on tour through Europe, her phone is not ringing with people wanting to collaborate on a duet or producing her next album. Or doing a commercial, or a small role in a movie.

And I am not saying she needs any of those things, I am just being critical with her career, not even that, I think I am explaining the reality of her musical career at this point. I don't blame her, but I think there is no reason to put sugar and don't say things like they are.
If you think this point of her career is good, I won't try to convince you otherwise.

But I see this "less is more" thing like someone driving a Ferrari all his life and then because the lack of money having to drive a crappy second hand car and saying that it is much better than the Ferrari because it need less fuel...

Last edited by SpanishFan; 05-17-2013 at 12:00 AM..
Old 05-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizeefan View Post
The only way it would ever cost her a penny to put out music is if she was doing so in her garage , producing the music herself with no corporate sponsorship . . . How you can think she pays for producing these or any costs therein when they are clearly by a major label is beyond my comprehension ? I'll guarantee you she is signed to a contract , paid up front for the new album , sales don't matter to her besides the fact that she is probably contracted to get residuals if sales reach certain numbers - meaning she gets more if sales are good .
I suggest you research how recording contracts work, because your discription of the situation is off the mark. Usually the artist is given some sort of advance payment (which isn't usually that great of an amount). Remember, Alizée has not been a big seller for many years, so it is unlikely they would give her a big advance. The artist generally has to pay back most of the record company's expenses out his or her percentage. This is called recoupment. If the artist doesn't make enough sales, they end up in debt to the record company. The artist usually also pays half of the expense of any videos made. And keep in mind there are lawyers and managers who also need to be paid by the artist. Nowadays, an artist has to sell quite a lot just to break even.

So I would not conclude that Alizée doesn't have to worry about sales. Artists like her do not get paid in full up front. She may have plenty of money in the bank, but I doubt she is going through all this trouble putting out an album, only to walk away with nothing. Or even worse, a debt.

Tags
alizee, lack of medicines, popularity, promotion