Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Apprendre le français

Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

That's why I pick a small amount of topics at one time If you teach me Spanish, I would want the same thing from you
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Since we're on the subject of food, I was wondering how a native French speaker prefers to use poivron and piment for peppers. I have generally used poivrons only for sweet peppers and piments for hot, but I know that you can also use piments doux for sweet peppers.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

Thank you for the addition Twitch! I have added that word in. Why not translate piment as chili instead of pepper?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:20 PM

I thought about that but was told that piment reffered to all peppers, including sweet peppers (because of piment doux), and you used piment fort when you wanted to refer to only hot peppers. Although in my travels I have almost always seen sweet peppers called poivrons, if not they were called piments doux, but never just piments. And chili and other hot peppers were always called piments, with piment fort being used only when someone wanted to stress the importance of getting a really hot pepper. Why I asked for the clarification.

EDIT: I read on Wiki that piment doux and piment fort are used mostly in Québec, and poivrons, for sweet peppers, and piments, for hot/chili peppers, seems to be the norm in France.

Last edited by Twitch; 12-12-2006 at 08:35 PM..
Old 12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
I thought about that but was told that piment reffered to all peppers, including sweet peppers (because of piment doux), and you used piment fort when you wanted to refer to only hot peppers. Although in my travels I have almost always seen sweet peppers called poivrons, if not they were called piments doux, but never just piments. And chili and other hot peppers were always called piments, with piment fort being used only when someone wanted to stress the importance of getting a really hot pepper. Why I asked for the clarification.

EDIT: I read on Wiki that piment doux and piment fort are used mostly in Québec, and poivrons, for sweet peppers, and piments, for hot/chili peppers, seems to be the norm in France.
Red hot chili peppers?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:57 AM

French: un yaourt
British: a yoghurt
American: a yogurt
Canadian En/Fr: a/un yogourt

I thought of this while at the grocery store but almost all of the yoghurt sold in Canada is labeled yogourt. It might not be the most popular spelling in French or English (outside of Canada) but it is a spelling that is understood by both the French and the English, and is an alternate spelling in both languages. So by using it companies only need to put, in this case, Plain Yogourt nature (nature = plain in this context) on their labels and not both yaourt nature and Plain Yoghurt. And on a side note before this thread I would not have known yaourt to mean yoghurt.

Spellings like this are a byproduct of Canadian bilingual labels (I've also seen syrop, syrup/sirop). But since Alizée is French, she would know it as yaourt and IMO that is the best spelling for an Alizée fan learning French, I was just bored with nothing else to do.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
What Wiki said
Old 12-17-2006, 03:31 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the lesson garçon :-) I knew a lot of the foods, but not all of them! I'll see if I can do the lesson and send my attempt at answers to you.

I'm stoked, I just received my French Rosetta Stone software today. Lessons start tommorrow.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM
silver bullet

neoteny is on a distinguished road

te toi...deposhez vous? il est tres comprend something or rather?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

audio is now linked to this lesson - each French word is linked only one time so you have to remember the 1st time and hear it in your head the second time . Click on the word to hear its pronounciation.