Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 AM

Philippe is on a distinguished road
Default Mylène Farmer

hi everyone

I'd be curious to know if some of you discovered Mylène Farmer thanks to Alizée and became a big fan of her too
Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Yes. Although I should say I discovered both of them at same time.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

No. I discovered Alizée first. And I still love Alizée. And I still despise Mylène. But I do love the song "Mylène Farmer", because it's so stupid and funny! (Or funny and stupid.) Which is what I thought this thread might have been about. But it isn't. So never mind. Signing off.....
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
HipHopHead

Jacotey is on a distinguished road

Three months after I discovered Alizée, I also became a fan of Mylène thanks to Lilly. Now I love her as much as Alizée.

And I don't know how is it possible to despise Alizée or Mylène, but I also despise all the haters, so whatever.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Default weird

yep this Chuck has a strange reaction that is one thread out of hundreds lol
Old 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

I had heard of Mylene before Alizee but i'd never actually heard anything she'd ever done (if you know what i mean?).
I've tried with her a few times but i'm sorry to say she doesn't really do much for me. I don't like the image she projects at all which puts me off her a lot.
She's not for me.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Thanks to Alizee I did discover Mylene Farmer, but was never impressed by her music or her person; however, through Alizee I discovered a whole world of European artist I never knew existed and that I treasure today: Lara Fabian, Johnny Haliday, Edith Piaf, Mirellie Mathieu, Garou, Jacques Brel, Louis Delort, Zaz, Gabriela Guncikova, Michel Sardou, Shy'm, Stromae. All of these treasures, I owe to Alizee.

Last edited by Shepherd; 07-21-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 PM

wow, indeed you discovered many singers and all different
from Piaf to Stromae, that's a long way

you should also try Patricia Kaas, Zazie, Pascal Obispo and well we have loads.

The French singer that is doing well abroad at the moment is Indila with her big hit Dernière danse

Concerning Mylène Farmer it's weird, some people I know abroad don't care about her, as you and some others were mesmerised from the very first note they heard ... She has a special "universe", you're in it or you're not in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5KAc5CoCuk
Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

After Alizée, I first discovered Mylène (I have watched many of her concerts). Then I expanded into several others - mostly ones that are active with Les Enfoires.

There are several good singers, but none close to Alizée.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
wow, indeed you discovered many singers and all different
from Piaf to Stromae, that's a long way

you should also try Patricia Kaas, Zazie, Pascal Obispo and well we have loads.

The French singer that is doing well abroad at the moment is Indila with her big hit Dernière danse

Concerning Mylène Farmer it's weird, some people I know abroad don't care about her, as you and some others were mesmerised from the very first note they heard ... She has a special "universe", you're in it or you're not in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5KAc5CoCuk

Thank you Philippe for the suggestions. I will definitely check them all out. I don't have any hostility for Mylene Farmer. I appreciate what she did for Alizee. Without Mylene, I might never have found Alizee.

I met Alizee in New York in 2003. I live in San Antonio, Texas, and went to the Big Apple to visit my sister, Rita, who was living there at that time. My sister took a few days off work so we could explore Manhattan. We were walking through Central Park, and on a lark decided to ride the merry-go-round. Rita, got on a horse to my left and just as the ride began a young woman jumped on the horse on my right. This took me by surprise because the marry-go-round was practically empty, perhaps 5 or 6 people on it. The girl could have sat any place. The young woman was very winsome, laughing and talking to me, but I couldn't understand a thing she said because, I don't speak French. The only French I knew was "bonjour," so I said "bonjour" and she laughed. She was with an older woman who didn't ride the merry-go-round. She stood off to the side and watched. I have no idea who this woman was. Rita had lived in Paris for a few years so I asked her to translate. She got off her horse and came around to talk to the young woman. They exchanged a few words, and then Rita said, "Oh, my God! This is Alizee." "Oh, I said," somewhat surprised that Rita would know her. "Is she a friend of yours?" "No, she's a famous pop star in France, like Madonna." I was somewhat flustered and had no idea what to say to a famous French pop star who didn't speak English, so I said, "bonjour." Alizee laughed. It was a little awkward, and Alizee dismounted her horse and jumped off the merry-go-round while it was still moving and she left. The whole event couldn't have taken more than 3 or 4 minutes. I marked it down as an interesting experience and quickly forgot about it because--frankly--Alizee meant nothing to me. Ten years later in 2013, I was cruising You Tube and stumbled upon the video of Alizee singing "J'en Ai Marre." She knocked me out of my chair. She looked familiar, but I wasn't sure it was the girl in the park. I called Rita who confirmed, "Yes, that was Alizee." I think Alizee got onto the merry-go-round next to me to see if a stranger in America would recognize her, and sure enough, I didn't. Now I'm a severely addicted fan.