Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Cool parlez vous francais?

This is a tough one. I think French is definitely the more beautiful language, especially in the hands of the right person and Alizée is definitely the right person. J'en ai marre sounds much nicer than I'm fed up but mainly because they pretty much tried to do a direct translation of the lyrics. The part where she says the word ecstatic, just doesn't sound that good but with Youpidoo, they wrote pretty much all new lyrics and both the english and french versions sound great. I think I'd rank the two versions of this a tie.

Amelie M'a Dit sounds very beautiful in both languages, but I'd have to give a slight edge to the french version. J'ai pas vingt ans and I'm not twenty both sound awesome but once again, I'd have to give the french version the edge.

If I had to choose between going to a concert where she sang all the songs she has sung in english and a concert where she sang an equal amount of songs sung in french, I'd definitely choose the one in french and by the way, I speak very little french. I wish I had paid closer attention in my two years of french classes in junior high school.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

When it comes to Alizée, it's all good.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

The early works, written by Mylene and composed by Laurent, interweave the rhyme and rhythm of their lyrics and compositions with the voice and rhythm that is Alizée, wrapped in literal, phonetic and instrumental double entendres intricately tied to custom and language. Sure, it is so beautiful just listening. But when you can experience the beauty of not only the voice, but how it is intertwined with everything else, only then does the full glory shine forth. These are masterpieces of art that transcend the individuals, where the whole is so much better than the sum of the parts.
Don't get me wrong; Alizée sings beautifully in English too. And folks can be perfectly happy just listening to that angelic voice singing in French, while never understanding what goes beyond. But there is a power of art where voice, composition, and lyrics are wrought as one. If you want to experience the power of the full art, there is but one path…and one must follow it in French.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGRE View Post
If you want to experience the power of the full art, there is but one path…and one must follow it in French.

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 AM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

"Faire, ou ne le font pas. Il n'ya pas essayer".
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Languishing Without Lili

NarutoSoul is on a distinguished road

If it's Lili, I don't care WHAT language it is. Alizée is beautiful in any language.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Alizee=Czech-Princess! is on a distinguished road

I'm undecided, 110% undecided! My favourite performance of this year is "Love Is All" I think her accent makes it sound so beautiful. Then my favourite song is "Moi...Lolita", as Girls Aloud say "I can't speak French, so I'll let the funky music do the talking". It doesn't matter what language she sings in, its her voice that shoud capture people, then the words that voice is singing....
Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

^I like her singing in English better. Though she sounds great in french; I like understanding what shes singing about. Plus she is just too cute when she sings/speaks English.

600th Post

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Alizee=Czech-Princess! is on a distinguished road

Your not far wrong there FRA!
Despite my lack of French, I just thing the language has a....sexy sound to it (until spoken by men!) and the mystery of the lyrics is also attractive. That said, I'd LOVE her to do an English version of "Moi...Lolita"
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizee=Czech-Princess! View Post
That said, I'd LOVE her to do an English version of "Moi...Lolita"
Now there, I'm going to have to disagree, sorry. Singing in English is fine, if the song is supposed to be in English, but I have a problem with translating poetry. ML is a song in French, and in French it should remain.

BTW, what Scruffy said earlier about I'm Fed Up and I'm Not Twenty being translations of JEAM and JPVA is not true. They are original songs, original lyrics by Mylène Farmer in English, to the same music as JEAM and JPVA. I also think they're not nearly as good as the French songs, but not because they're poor translations, I just don't like them as well. OTOH, some have voiced the opinion that the English version of Youpidou is actually better than the French version. It, too, is not a translation but a different and original song. Mylène is fluent in both French and English. She usually writes in French, but is good in English, too, although IMO not quite as good.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716