Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
NRJ with Cauet

What was her answer to Cauet at the 30 second mark of that video?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM

comjoz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I have a question. Why are so many of you so concerned about the commercial 'success' of Alizee's recordings?

There are thousands of excellent musicians and singers all over the world who have long careers making music and who have their loyal fans but who never have 'top 10' or 'top 20 hits'. It does not prevent them from continuing to make music that some people enjoy and that they enjoy making. In fact I would go so far as to say that not bothering about major commercial success gives the artists the freedom to make the music that they want to make rather than some contrived piece of garbage designed to appeal to the masses. If we like the music then what do we care if no one else does?

Good point! I agree with every word of this.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

^^

Yes.. I have to agree Panther made a really good point.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM

Wizard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I have a question. Why are so many of you so concerned about the commercial 'success' of Alizee's recordings?

There are thousands of excellent musicians and singers all over the world who have long careers making music and who have their loyal fans but who never have 'top 10' or 'top 20 hits'. It does not prevent them from continuing to make music that some people enjoy and that they enjoy making. In fact I would go so far as to say that not bothering about major commercial success gives the artists the freedom to make the music that they want to make rather than some contrived piece of garbage designed to appeal to the masses. If we like the music then what do we care if no one else does?

So, I repeat the question: why are some of you so hung up about commercial success?
Panther makes a very good point. There are so many outstanding and talented musicians operating on an independent basis, who probably don't care about compromising their independence and artistic vision in order to satisfy some corporate goon in a suit. Maybe Alizée is one of those artists; she seems to behave in that manner, and it's one of the reasons I like her. She's going to do what she wants to do, and I'm cool with that. Besides, the world is full of mainstream pop garbage, and case in point, shows like American Idol, the Voice, etc., (at least in the United States) are hell bent on mass producing mediocrity. They all sound the same. We don't need more of that crap.

I think an answer to Panther's question is that many of her fans simply want to see more of her and see her reach a higher level of recognition, not only in France, but other countries as well, including the United States (unlikely as it may be). We're here because we like her, and we want more people to know of her. The smarter she markets herself, and her label promotes her, the more the rest of the world gets to see and hear her- and that's a good thing. But, if that doesn't happen, I will still follow her. I'm pretty sure she will continue to record albums. Excellent point Panther!

Last edited by Wizard; 03-20-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

I can't get Blonde out of my head. It was echoing all day at work.

It's a simple FUN song.

I'm glad she is experimenting with this type of music. She needs more high energy songs in her catalog. And this is a good choice for the first song after DALS. At DALS, she excelled at high energy, fun performances. This is where she really shone. This song is a little sassy and a lot of fun. She already has plenty of serious stuff. She needs a few of these to show the more playful side of her.

Imagine how this could look in a concert. Can't you picture her having a lot of fun with this song on stage?

Last edited by Rev; 03-20-2014 at 12:53 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

I understand Panther and Wizard's points.
I have been playing music since 1955. If my calculations are correct, that's before Alizée's birthdate, and probably most everyone here as well.

I got into playing because I really, REALLY love it. I still play out with my band 3-4 times per week, in addition to my 40 hr per week "real job", or as I like to call it, my real pain-in-the-ass boring job.

I have seen players get into music for many different reasons. Some want to become famous, and give themselves a certain amount of time to "make it big", or they get out of the biz.

I play because it is the one thing I have always loved to do. I have no ulterior motive. If I did get recognition, that would be fine, but it would not make a difference to me, from my point of view.

I do laugh, however when I here others talk about doing pop music, or going commerical. Many people seem to associate those words with something dirty or bad. I did a lot of session work up north, and it was commercial music. That is, it was music which had a wide audience appeal. Many songs now considered "classic" were once commercial. Had they not been commercial and appealed to a wide audience, they would have been forgotten.

I'm not only talking about recent golden oldies, but songs going back centuries.

While I studied classical and 1930's and 40's jazz, and swing growing up, I love to play out for people. The only way I could do that is to play music that people love to dance too, and remember from their youth, or even currently being played on the radio. In other words, commercial pop music, which has made the artist famous, which many people recognize, and love because it brings back fond memories from times past, or even recently.

Music is after all a business, and it's a hard one. Even though it is an intangible, it takes many hours to learn to play and/or sing competantly, buy gear to use and find the places which will hire a group.

Some of the very best musicians in the country are session players who are hired to record pop songs. It may not be their first choice for music they want to play, but it is a living, and for the lucky few, a really GOOD living.

We all want Alizée to be successful and well-received world-wide. In order to do this, she needs a large audience following. If she is not a "commerical"
success, regardless of whether she wants to be or not, she will not succeed. She may, in fact, want to and continue to do things her way, and that's great, but she still needs to be accepted and wanted by an audience, who buys her records and merchandize, goes to her concerts, listens to her on the radio, and who support her, etc. In other words she needs to be a commerical success.

(Sorry for the long post, but I just thought you might undertand the logic.)
Stephen
Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some of the very best musicians in the country are session players who are hired to record pop songs.
Can you say the "Funk Brothers" who worked for Motown Records.

From Wikipedia,

Quote:
The Funk Brothers was the nickname of Detroit-based session musicians who performed the backing to most Motown recordings from 1959 until the company moved to Los Angeles in 1972. They are considered one of the most successful groups of studio musicians in music history. The Funk Brothers played on Motown hits such as "My Girl", "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", "Baby Love", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours", "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", "The Tears of a Clown", "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", and "(Love Is Like a) Heat Wave".

The role of the Funk Brothers is described in Paul Justman's 2002 documentary film Standing in the Shadows of Motown, based on Allan Slutsky's book of the same name. The opening titles claim that the Funk Brothers have "played on more number-one hits than The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, and The Beach Boys combined."[1]
Old 03-20-2014, 10:53 AM

C-4 is on a distinguished road

Good one ALS!
Another world class group of studio musicians was The Wrecking Crew. This was a group of musicians in Los Angeles who played on everything that was seen on TV, in the movies, TV shows such as the Oscar awards, you name it, they played on it. If you were listening to radio or went to the movies between 1952 and 1989, you heard the music of the Wrecking Crew.
The most recorded guitarist in history was Tommy Tedesco, who was nicknamed the Czar of L.A. based recording. He played on everything from Ozzie and Harriet, the Monkees, the Beach Boys to Frank Sinatra, classical music, anything.
Other members of the Crew were Dennis Budimer, Lee Rittenaur, Hal Blaine, Mitch Holder, Tim May, and several others. These were also the members of bands who played on the TV Games shows when the music came on for a commercial break or at the beginning and end of the show, and this included The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

Last edited by C-4; 03-20-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
HipHopHead

Jacotey is on a distinguished road

http://www.casting.fr/casting/figura...html?c=EDMyYjN

Casting for Alizee's new clip!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Panther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-4 View Post

We all want Alizée to be successful and well-received world-wide.

(Sorry for the long post, but I just thought you might undertand the logic.)
Stephen
I'm sorry but I don't agree with that first statement. It doesn't bother me one way or the other whether or not she's famous world-wide just as long as she's happy and continues to make music that I enjoy. She can do both of those things with or without being world famous.

Ok, just to clear up any misunderstandings here, I wasn't suggesting that being a commercial success was automatically a bad thing or that 'commercial' pop music is all rubbish. I would argue however that much of it over the past 20 years or so is very forgettable. My take on it is that some of the music that I like to listen to could not be classed as commercially successful but that doesn't spoil my enjoyment of it and neither does it prevent those artists from continuing to make music. And let's face it the last three albums that Alizee has made since splitting with MF & LB have not been commercially 'successful' and yet here we are anticipating yet another new album. So the lack of commercial success to date does not seem to have deterred her from continuing to make music. In fact she has made more unsuccessful albums (3) than she has successful (2). I didn't like Psych very much but I really do like UEDS and '5' so I am quite happy with her commercially unsuccessful output.

As for this latest single, 'Blonde', it's a bit of fun and there's nothing wrong with that at all. I can see it appealing to very young teenage girls and perhaps that's the target demographic post DALS, judging by the people in the photographs of the autograph signings at the time. I can't, however, imagine it ever being on 'repeat' in my car

Having said that I'm sure there will be some tracks on the new album that I will enjoy