Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
School, my graduation will be the thing deciding my career for the next 5 years, 10 if im lucky, and if im really lucky, for life.....your asking me is my life more important than my music? I like Alizée, but im not foolish enough to throw my masterys into jeopardy for something as vain as playing a song on the radio, perhaps in my spare time, i'll be able to vote and savor victory when we win the hit parade. But not now, i have my standards and choosing leisure over success is not part of it
totally could have just voted there

but seriously if school is important to you that's great

I just never saw the point most the people that go to college still end up in the same line of work as me or something different but still one that does not need a college degree

but i hope that you do pursue your career of choice and it turns out well for you

Last edited by jung_adore_ALIZEE; 09-11-2008 at 10:35 PM..
Old 09-12-2008, 05:27 AM

Fixty Sixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
I just never saw the point most the people that go to college still end up in the same line of work as me or something different but still one that does not need a college degree.
That's actually not true. A college degree does increase average income. Personal_income_in_the_United_States

Last edited by Fixty Sixty; 09-12-2008 at 05:29 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 06:54 AM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Good Morning Mr. & Mrs. America and all ships at sea. Let's go to press. As of now Alizee is ahead by 1280 votes.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixty Sixty View Post
That's actually not true. A college degree does increase average income. Personal_income_in_the_United_States
studies like that are what make me mad its telling the kids that in order to succeed in life you have to go to college, but for the majority of people this is actually not true

one does not need a 4 year college degree for 90% of the jobs that they end up getting

I'm still not saying its a bad thing if you think its important great its just not for me

oh and keep voting

Old 09-12-2008, 08:41 AM

CWatkins is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm about choosing between school and voting but it seemed like it wasn't noticed. I'm sure he agrees that the voting isn't as important as your own personal goals.

Anyways, before you string up jung_adore_alizee, he's right. People make it almost mandatory to go to college right after high school. There was tremendous pressure for everyone to go when I was in high school last decade (man, I'm getting old) but now that I look back on it, there was no reason for a lot of that. Some people are content just to be a waitress, a mechanic, a plumber, etc and most jobs like that don't require a 4 year college and there's nothing wrong with them. This year, I finally got under $10,000 of college debt left and I graduated in 2002. Between 2002 and 2007, I didn't have a full time job that used my degree except for one year where I made the same amount of money as I did before. In the meantime, I had the same low income as everyone else without a college degree but with more debts to pay and that's one of the things those studies don't mention. Another thing those studies don't mention is the very simple fact that yes, you make more money on average, but compare that to your debt load. Are you really making any more money than the one without a college education for 10 years? There was an article on yahoo.com or something that questioned the wisdom of going to college because of that. That means something when everyone was saying go to college, it's your mandate! Suddenly, people are starting to think twice.

I don't regret going to college, especially because I'm in the right place at the right time today. I'm a geologist working for an oil company and things are going pretty good for me now. If you had asked me in 2006 when I was working at a grocery store, I probably would've wished I could change my major to something else. Perhaps to chemistry and have some classes with that hot chick... Oh well.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

In my experience, having a college degree means nothing if you have it, but everything if you don't.

I don't know what the situation is like elsewhere, but here in Toronto, bachellor's degrees have become so common that they're undervalued--having one is no longer special. What this means, though, is that a lot of employers will set this as the bare minimum for job requirements, even for jobs that don't necessarily require a great deal of skill or specialized knowledge. High school graduates need not apply. Even in the retail and customer service industry, you'll probably need a college degree if you want to rise above the ranks of middle-management.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Lili's up by 740 pts. Go us!

Last edited by Ruroshen; 09-12-2008 at 11:39 AM..
Old 09-12-2008, 01:26 PM

Afternoon everybody! We are still ahead by 495 votes.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:07 PM

I couldn't help but reading this discussion on college degrees. I'm in college trying to get a degree in engineering. It requires a lot of math. Most of which I'll probably never use again thanks to the aid of computers. I guess the question really comes down to is: Do you want to go to college? I see a lot of students on campus that are only there because their parents are paying for thier degree. Most of these students will drop out before they reach thier goal. I'm going to college because I want to become an engineer. If I wanted to go into something that makes more money then I would have gone into plumbing. (Don't laugh, plumbers make darn good money even at the apprentice level) So this is what I want to say: Do not equate success with money. There are many millionairs who are miserable failures as human beings. Peace Out!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Good news everybody! We have voted so many times at the 5 vote level that we have now erased the 100 vote. She is still in 1st place by 435 votes. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I couldn't help but reading this discussion on college degrees. I'm in college trying to get a degree in engineering. It requires a lot of math. Most of which I'll probably never use again thanks to the aid of computers. I guess the question really comes down to is: Do you want to go to college? I see a lot of students on campus that are only there because their parents are paying for thier degree. Most of these students will drop out before they reach thier goal. I'm going to college because I want to become an engineer. If I wanted to go into something that makes more money then I would have gone into plumbing. (Don't laugh, plumbers make darn good money even at the apprentice level) So this is what I want to say: Do not equate success with money. There are many millionairs who are miserable failures as human beings. Peace Out!
I couldn’t agree with you more, Rocket. And personally, I think engineering is a very cool choice. Oh yes, and I just voted...