Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road
Default I need your advice

I need your advice guys, I'm in quite a mess. As you may know I am an engineering major so I have to take a lot of calculus classes. Well last semester I had a great professor and did well in the class and got an A. This term I have some Asian (not to be racist) professor who you cant understand, speaks so dam low you cant hear her especially with over 60 kids in the lecture. She is just horrible, and doesnt know how to explain things at all, she will be doing one example and then wonder off topic leaving the example undone and then go on to a new example and repeat the process. She makes an easy topic such as limits so complicated. The fact is she just cant teach and shouldn't be teaching. I am a great studnet in math and this lady will f**k it up for me. She is the worst teacher I ever had and everyone agrees with me. Just look at her rate my professor page http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Show...jsp?tid=967618
I want to transfer to a different calc class but all the others are closed, I check everyday for an opening. What should I do guys, this lady is going to put a dent in my GPA and I cant afford that in my most important class, Calculus. If anyone has advice please help me

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Weird Member

Nikita is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with my Frenchteacher.
He never prepares his lessons, instead he just stands and rants about grammar from the top of his head for 1,5 hours.
As a teacher, he should understand when his techniques aren't working, and change them so we understand what he's on about.
Instead of answering every question I ask with "Mondieudon'tyouknowthatwe'vebeenoveritathousandti meshowmanytimestoIhavetotellyou?"

I've been struggling with his class for a year and a half now, and really it was supposed to be over by Christmas, but the class got extended, so we have to stay until summerholidays.
Last time we spoke about grades, I had what you will call an A, and I'm not going to give up and throw it all away, even it feels like the only thing to do sometimes.

So I know how you feel.
How about meeting up with some other students, maybe you can help each other?
Ask parents or relatives for help.
Try talking to the teacher, firmly and tell her how you feel.
Maybe she's feeling unconfident teaching too, and needs more communication with her students.

I don't know if I was to any help, but all the same,
I know how you feel, just keep on going!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
I have the same problem with my Frenchteacher.
He never prepares his lessons, instead he just stands and rants about grammar from the top of his head for 1,5 hours.
As a teacher, he should understand when his techniques aren't working, and change them so we understand what he's on about.
Instead of answering every question I ask with "Mondieudon'tyouknowthatwe'vebeenoveritathousandti meshowmanytimestoIhavetotellyou?"

I've been struggling with his class for a year and a half now, and really it was supposed to be over by Christmas, but the class got extended, so we have to stay until summerholidays.
Last time we spoke about grades, I had what you will call an A, and I'm not going to give up and throw it all away, even it feels like the only thing to do sometimes.

So I know how you feel.
How about meeting up with some other students, maybe you can help each other?
Ask parents or relatives for help.
Try talking to the teacher, firmly and tell her how you feel.
Maybe she's feeling unconfident teaching too, and needs more communication with her students.

I don't know if I was to any help, but all the same,
I know how you feel, just keep on going!
first she cant understand us, lol so no communication between us.
My dad is a high school math teacher but asking for his help over the phone wont work so well.
As for my getting together with my peers, we are in the process of making a study group, but I am not a fan of learning something by myself.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
first she cant understand us, lol so no communication between us.
My dad is a high school math teacher but asking for his help over the phone wont work so well.
As for my getting together with my peers, we are in the process of making a study group, but I am not a fan of learning something by myself.
I'm going to tell you something I wish I had understood 25 years ago...

If you are not happy with the teacher you can do one of XXX things:

1. Nothing.
Nothing will change, and it will get as bad (or good) as it gets by some
"miracle"...

2. Speak to your Teacher.
Communication is a two way street... If you don't try, then obviously the class isn't that important. (Document your attempts at communications with this teacher).

3. Speak to the teacher you had last year.
Possibly he can assist you with this teacher (but be aware - You DON'T know what department politics are like, and you may get NO HELP).

4. Speak to the Teachers Supervisor/Dept. Head/Director/Student Affairs.
Talk to as many people as possible that you can think of. REMAIN RESPECTFULL AT ALL TIMES. This is an education you (or your parents) are paying for. You deserve to get the best out of it you can.

5. Form a Study Group.
Regardless of whether or not you "LIKE" it, learning on your own may be your best option in the short term.

But whatever you do - DO SOMETHING! Doing nothing, not wanting to "rock the boat" or "draw attention to yourself" gets you absolutely NO WHERE.

Good Luck.

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
I'm going to tell you something I wish I had understood 25 years ago...

If you are not happy with the teacher you can do one of XXX things:

1. Nothing.
Nothing will change, and it will get as bad (or good) as it gets by some
"miracle"...

2. Speak to your Teacher.
Communication is a two way street... If you don't try, then obviously the class isn't that important. (Document your attempts at communications with this teacher).

3. Speak to the teacher you had last year.
Possibly he can assist you with this teacher (but be aware - You DON'T know what department politics are like, and you may get NO HELP).

4. Speak to the Teachers Supervisor/Dept. Head/Director/Student Affairs.
Talk to as many people as possible that you can think of. REMAIN RESPECTFULL AT ALL TIMES. This is an education you (or your parents) are paying for. You deserve to get the best out of it you can.

5. Form a Study Group.
Regardless of whether or not you "LIKE" it, learning on your own may be your best option in the short term.

But whatever you do - DO SOMETHING! Doing nothing, not wanting to "rock the boat" or "draw attention to yourself" gets you absolutely NO WHERE.

Good Luck.

Ed
Yea thanks man, I spoke to my professor from last semester a while ago and she said that another spot should open up in another class but that hasnt happened yet. Because of the economic crisis instead of having 6 calculus 141 professors there are only 4. So every 141 class is closed out. I have spoke to the department to get a force registry into another class, all that has got me doing is filling out an assload of documentation only to wait a few weeks to get it back with a nice denied stamp on it. As for talking to my current professor, I dont think she would understand, she cant even answer students questions about a simple math problem, how is she going to assist me with this issue. I am not the only one in the class who feels this way, I guarantee everyone else is going through the same crap. I have to go with option 1 or 5.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yea thanks man, I spoke to my professor from last semester a while ago and she said that another spot should open up in another class but that hasnt happened yet. Because of the economic crisis instead of having 6 calculus 141 professors there are only 4. So every 141 class is closed out. I have spoke to the department to get a force registry into another class, all that has got me doing is filling out an assload of documentation only to wait a few weeks to get it back with a nice denied stamp on it. As for talking to my current professor, I dont think she would understand, she cant even answer students questions about a simple math problem, how is she going to assist me with this issue. I am not the only one in the class who feels this way, I guarantee everyone else is going through the same crap. I have to go with option 1 or 5.
Well, if you want to fly planes for Uncle Sammy, #1 is not an option.

Good luck my man. O7

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This term I have some Asian (not to be racist) professor who you cant understand, speaks so dam low you cant hear her especially with over 60 kids in the lecture. She is just horrible, and doesnt know how to explain things at all, she will be doing one example and then wonder off topic leaving the example undone and then go on to a new example and repeat the process. She makes an easy topic such as limits so complicated. The fact is she just cant teach and shouldn't be teaching. I am a great studnet in math and this lady will f**k it up for me. She is the worst teacher I ever had and everyone agrees with me. Just look at her rate my professor page http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Show...jsp?tid=967618
I want to transfer to a different calc class but all the others are closed, I check everyday for an opening. What should I do guys, this lady is going to put a dent in my GPA and I cant afford that in my most important class, Calculus.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

You could always ask Paenguin on ways to understand Asian women?
She's had to live with one, for a looooong time.