Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 03-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Ide love to save you wasab, yea in those cases I think I could live with it, but would if we are on the offensive?
That's the point I was trying to make.

Whether or not we are on the "offensive", us ground pounders will need assistance, whether it be artillery, or close air support.

The term "offensive" can't really be applied to modern combat. It's no longer like WWII, when we had companies of soldiers fighting in masses. Modern combat is all about small unit combat, usually down at the squad level, or maybe up to a spread out platoon(a platoon is usually made up of around 4 squads.).

Sure, there is initial aggression, such as when we first invaded Iraq and took out their Army. But now, it's all about scattered guerrilla warfare, in which there really is no defined offense and defense. It's a quick switch between the two depending on who engages first.

Either way though, FRA. The main point I'm trying to convey is that you don't have to look at it like you are killing someone, but that you are saving someone.

It's all a matter of perspective it.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First off fighter jets do drop bombs and other ordinances a lot, so I am VERY likely to kill someone if I join the USAF. Second if I use my engineering background to design "the next F-22" which is my whole dilemma here, I am causing harm to people since I am designing a weapon which is why im not sure if I want to do that or not.
Oww... that hurt... guess you didn't read tips 1 and uhh... the... last... one...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLP View Post
Oww... that hurt... guess you didn't read tips 1 and uhh... the... last... one...
why did it hurt? I read what u said and I agree

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
why did it hurt? I read what u said and I agree
Just the way you put it, you seemed like you were being slightly harsh. Though, I was having a bad day, so I guess I should stop whining.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLP View Post
Just the way you put it, you seemed like you were being slightly harsh. Though, I was having a bad day, so I guess I should stop whining.
sorry i put it harshly, im was kinda and still am in a bad mood too, sorry bout ur bad day

Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
sorry i put it harshly, im was kinda and still am in a bad mood too, sorry bout ur bad day
Naw, it's cool. I understand. And I must say, you have EXCELLENT taste in planes. F-22's are like the coolest ever... There is a reason they are in EVERY freakin' movie from the past five years that has American fighter jets... And I personally spent nearly $200 just buying all the Starscream repaints from the Transformers movies. So, that says a LOT about me, I guess...
Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Alizee Fan!

Ali is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread, All I can advice to you is to finish your degree. It is good that you are thinking about morality issues such as whether you should continue on being a fighter pilot with the dilemma having to kill someone. For my personal point of view I don't know if I want to kill someone because I don't think I could live with myself if I did. I believe that the only time killing is justifiable is when someone attacks me, hence my belief that the war in Afghanistan is justifiable to a certain extent, minus the civilian deaths. You should look at what some Israeli fighter pilots have done, many of them refused to fly sorties because many of the bombs they dropped ended up killing innocent Palestinian women and children. As someone have said, when you are in the military you don't really have a choice, you do what the Commander in Chief tells you to regardless of whether you think it is right or wrong. Having said that being in the military doesn't necessarily mean you have to kill someone. I have a friend who recently graduated from University with an engineering degree who works in the military and he is not in the battlefield killing people. Sometimes I think I should do the same because of the job security, but on the other hand, I think private industry is a more innovative place to work but with far less job security and much higher stress. You also have to look at your options, there is no guarantee that you will get a so and so job, you may be forced to get a civilian job or military job depending on your job prospects. I have an Uncle who is an engineer who worked for a defense contractor that made bombs for the US military, he ended up getting that job because the previous company he worked for wanted him to relocate to a different state, something that he didn't want to do. He no longer works at the company that make bombs...but you get the point.

Life is not always it's cracked up to be. Not to get side tracked....As someone who is studying engineering I can relate somewhat. When I was kid I always wanted to be a hardware graphic card engineer (I am a graphics whore) for a company like nVidia, now I am realizing that prospect may not be possible, I may not even have the interest anymore. People who work in that particular field have high stress due to the fact that graphics card industry is a competitive field, not only that you have to have a strong aptitude (imagine designing a chip with 3+ billion transistors), which I don't necessarily have. I had always thought about getting a masters business degree in the last couple of years, something that I have always been interested in and become managers of engineers. So, in the end I may not end up doing what I always wanted to do as a child. The point is, people's beliefs and interest change over time. I will do what my heart tells me when the time to make the decision comes and make the best decision about what to do next based on my circumstance. I would suggest to follow your heart and conscience. Hopefully the good Lord will guide you in the right path. Cheers.

Last edited by Ali; 03-16-2010 at 02:37 AM..
Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
Interesting thread, All I can advice to you is to finish your degree. It is good that you are thinking about morality issues such as whether you should continue on being a fighter pilot with the dilemma having to kill someone. For my personal point of view I don't know if I want to kill someone because I don't think I could live with myself if I did. I believe that the only time killing is justifiable is when someone attacks me, hence my belief that the war in Afghanistan is justifiable to a certain extent, minus the civilian deaths. You should look at what some Israeli fighter pilots have done, many of them refused to fly sorties because many of the bombs they dropped ended up killing innocent Palestinian women and children. As someone have said, when you are in the military you don't really have a choice, you do what the Commander in Chief tells you to regardless of whether you think it is right or wrong. Having said that being in the military doesn't necessarily mean you have to kill someone. I have a friend who recently graduated from University with an engineering degree who works in the military and he is not in the battlefield killing people. Sometimes I think I should do the same because of the job security, but on the other hand, I think private industry is a more innovative place to work but with far less job security and much higher stress. You also have to look at your options, there is no guarantee that you will get a so and so job, you may be forced to get a civilian job or military job depending on your job prospects. I have an Uncle who is an engineer who worked for a defense contractor that made bombs for the US military, he ended up getting that job because the previous company he worked for wanted him to relocate to a different state, something that he didn't want to do. He no longer works at the company that make bombs...but you get the point.

Life is not always it's cracked up to be. Not to get side tracked....As someone who is studying engineering I can relate somewhat. When I was kid I always wanted to be a hardware graphic card engineer (I am a graphics whore) for a company like nVidia, now I am realizing that prospect may not be possible, I may not even have the interest anymore. People who work in that particular field have high stress due to the fact that graphics card industry is a competitive field, not only that you have to have a strong aptitude (imagine designing a chip with 3+ billion transistors), which I don't necessarily have. I had always thought about getting a masters business degree in the last couple of years, something that I have always been interested in and become managers of engineers. So, in the end I may not end up doing what I always wanted to do as a child. The point is, people's beliefs and interest change over time. I will do what my heart tells me when the time to make the decision comes and make the best decision about what to do next based on my circumstance. I would suggest to follow your heart and conscience. Hopefully the good Lord will guide you in the right path. Cheers.
thanks for the advice Ali... cheers~ I am going to wait until this yr ends see how my grades are and see if i want to stick with engineering and the air force.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road

Moral issues are for the philosophers and sages... Can't remember where I read that, but, in so far as the military is concerned, its pretty accurate.

I spent time in the USN from August '80 to April '91. My first tour was in the Persian Gulf during the Iran/Iraq war... Flew from Ithaca, NY, to Manama, Bahrain, with layovers in Germany and Austria. Spent 3 days "acclimating" and went to my ship, which then immediately went to the northern Gulf, and within 96 hours of leaving my hometown, I was watching rockets streaking back and forth across the front...

Ultimately did tours in Beruit, Honduras and Grenada...

My only thoughts on the questions you've raised are this:

No one can take an education away from you - and even *if* you do stick with aerospace engineering, there is no telling what job you might get - so, in the short term, stick with the degree program.

Take the time to think it out, and I'm sure you will find an answer *you* can live with...

Ed

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience