Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 07:35 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Very well put, Vil. Very well. She wouldn't have done it if she didn't like it. I would also like to point out something: honestly, this 'Lolita' image was not made for her. Myléne was looking for a girl to sing it, so obviously it was written before they met Alizée. But, L'Alizé, remember, was written for Alizée. The only reason Alizée was labelled a lolita is because Myléne basically set it up to be that way before they ever even met, intentionally or not. But Alizée was warned of this, and still went with it. She was told the Lolita image would stick in peoples' minds, and obviously it has, just from reading this thread. But then there was J'en Ai Marre ! and J'ai Pas Vingt Ans ! Both these songs must have been written with help from her. I don't know the English translation for JPVA, nor do I want to. But I do know the translation for JEAM. And she at least provided the info for the 'list' on which the song is based. I have no idea what ÀCC is about (kinda sad because it's my favorite song!), but I don't need to in order to love the way she pronounces the words. Or all her songs, for that matter. While the Lolita, Goldfish, and Tinkerbelle are gone, they were still great, and each one probably still lives in her somewhere. One day, Edie will be gone, and whatever new Alizée type replaces it will be just as great, I hope.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

As another older bloke on the forum i have to disagree with the thought that there is something creepy about it? Why?
Do i find Alizee attractive? Oh Yes?
I hope that when i'm 90 i'm still finding young girls attractive. There would be something seriously wrong if i wasn't. That dosen't make me (or any of the other older guys) some sort of paedophile. It's just being human.
The first Alizee song i ever heard was Moi...and yes i thought she was really cute in the video but it was a combination of this and the song that led me to discover more about her and to eventually admit that i was a fan.
My love for Czech pop star Ewa Farna is the same. She is only 16 years old and i have been accused of many many things (none of which are true) for starting a fan site for her.
As you get older it's really good and surprising to discover something new and exciting, whether it be in music or anything else.
Should i deny myself the enjoyment of Alizee or Ewa because i'm 46 and society thinks that that's not something someone of my age should do?
Absolutely not.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Vil is on a distinguished road

Was talking about a post on page 4, where a poster said she effectively "killed" her Loita image. Maybe dissed wasn't the correct word, forgive my English
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil View Post
Was talking about a post on page 4, where a poster said she effectively "killed" her Loita image. Maybe dissed wasn't the correct word, forgive my English
Well in that case..

Killing her lolita image doesn't necessarily reflect her utter dislike for it. The way I take it, it means that she's changed completely out of that image into a new one, rather than that she couldn't stand that image, and tossed it out the window.

But a simple matter of using the wrong word, I understand too.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

When I started following Alizée in 2006 I first discovered her MCE era. From there I backtracked to Gourmandises. Now this is going to sound like blasphemy to some, but I didn't care for the song "Moi, Lolita" at first and never listened to the song the whole way through until I got the En Concert DVD. Then I developed a strong appreciation for it.

The fact is, I never bought into the whole "Lolita" thing because to me it was just a role she played for one song and video, nothing more. Of course it was an image that could be marketed too. It's not that I dislike the image, I just don't miss Lolita because for me she never really existed.

To me, all I ever saw was Alizée, and all I heard was her music and her voice. That's what makes me a fan. That's what always made me a fan. For me, all that is still with us, and it's what's real.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

@Shintsu
Unfortunately I can't read through every post on this. It obviously touches a nerve with people. I think it's pretty clear that indeed there was something extra special about Alizée back then that touched so many people. It's the people who saw the video performances on YouTube and stuff like that who ended up here. So, they are the people who really liked what she was. Obviously when she has changed so much, she's no longer what they used to love so much. We are not the people who Alizée always talks about having grown up with her. We are people who liked what we saw and that's what we liked. Honestly though, I think the general French public who liked her in the past feel the same way. So, Alizée has to deal with it and try to balance it with her attempt to live a contented life.

It was a time that existed and was what it was. Whatever her talent or looks now or then, that was then and this is now. Obviously some things had to change because she got older, but other things (like the tattoos) she did not have to do and it turns out that she's just different than what you were expecting or hoping for. I don't think it's wrong of you to feel the way you do and obviously I can't judge Alizée on what she thinks is important to her, what music she likes or whatever.

It is sad that you have to feel this way. I totally understand your dilemma. Sometimes there is just no fix for what ails us. All I can say is that it was quite apparent more than two years ago that she was no longer how we used to think of her. And indeed, the choice of musical style for this album was far from obvious. If we don't like it we don't. I was not impressed by Château Marmont and have been expecting to not like this album.

I'll admit. She was more beautiful before she started getting tattoos and loading on eye make-up. Her choices don't make sense at all to some of us. But, those are our opinions. She has her own reasons for why she does things and frankly, over all, some of the things that we don't like might actually work out better for her in general. There is a wide spectrum of opinion and preference.

Finally, it has taken me time to get used to, but I have found myself enjoying certain things. I thought the Les Collines video was good. I thought she looked great on Grand Journal despite the make-up. When she showed up on "2010-03-27 TV show - J'aime beaucoup ce que vous faites - Virgin 17" (the one with the hat), she looked really cute and more like we generally prefer her, though I think changing it up a bit sometimes is good too. When I see those old photos my eyes still bug out or tongue falls to the floor if you know what I mean.
Recently I have found myself really caught up by the song Factory Girl. So, though I have also learned that yeah, sometimes her live singing is laughable (I've witnessed her signing very well and dreamily and also just plain badly), I have also found that even in this style I didn't think I'd like, sometimes it can take hold.

So, I guess I'm still obsessed with Alizée and with coming here. It's all of that. I'm not as star struck witnessing a goddess blowed away anymore, but Alizée is doing what she can and I seem to be liking some of it and really getting into it sometimes. I'm 35 and yet she made me feel like the teenager that I never was. It's thus sad to me that she doesn't seem to feel that way anymore herself, but life happens and becoming an adult is a bitch. There is no replacement for being a crazy optimistic fan, but even after going through that depression of come-down from cloud 9 I think you might find a continued appreciation for her and maybe even come to like some of the music a lot. I tend to get caught up in things and I find myself excited by the idea of more cinematic videos for this album or doing what was in my imagination last night - creating a version of Factory Girl with a chorus and orchestra.

I don't know what Alizée will end up doing or if she will actually even have any concerts. Unfortunately it's really hard to say until it happens or you see some sales figures or something. But, I have been following what's going on and find myself increasingly interested in a concert. It seems that Alizée is having some success with me and that's the most important thing for me. I hope for your own happiness that you can come around. If not, I wish you well in the world and hope you can find a balance of contentment. That's all Alizée is looking for and struggling to maintain. So, I can at least respect that.

(And I concur, as a man ages, little changes in his appreciation of the beauty of a young woman. I mean, I'm generally not as affected by it as I used to be (generally), but it's still there. Alizée was very sexy and beautiful from about 17. She was more just cute and pretty before that. Those are related appeals, but a little different. When Alizée was maybe 18 she had such a perfect balance of those that she was just a real work of art from this universe. It was magical. And she showed it off to the delight of millions whether she was really aware or not. And when one comes to like her as a person too, sees that innocent and sweet personality with a certain carefree sensibility, then obsessive adoration kicks in.)

Merci Fanny
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to pop in and say..

so I'm working in the library as I listen to my ipod on shuffle, and as I was reading this thread, Simple Plans "How Could This Happen to Me" came on, makes me want to kill myself, the overall sad undertones of this thread plus the song.. unbelievable depression.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM

peterc is on a distinguished road
Default Shintsu and others re: a true fan no more....

I agree with several here who have commented on the changes Alizee has made and the creativity she seems to now have brought to fruition with the new CD. I have followed many thoughts here for sometime before becoming a member and have been a fan, though not from the beginning of her career. I did not know of her nor did they play her music here in the US. Never saw here even on YouTube as I did not spend much time there either. But like she was/is to so many, her voice was like a soothing wind, a calming force to me as I have been going through some very difficult times in my life. Her voice and her songs have this calming effect.

But I do think that Alizee gave us all clues early on as she had commented that was was being marketed, although she was grateful and became this beautiful, down to earth star, she stated that what Mylene Farmer and her partner put together was not her. It was not what she would have done or seemed to want. She played the part and performed wonderfully for us all, but it was not her.

I am excited for her as she goes through these creativity growth spurts and am glad she is doing what she wants. I do think that if she stayed with the Mylene Farmer partnership, she would be more famous and more desired by a wider market on the business side, no matter what one may think of that. Mylene Farmer has shown year after year her own resilience in the industry. Alizee may not have been comfortable with some of what she would have had to become to get there.

I too, as all her fans, will take a listen to her new music and put our votes in by support or not. Her music of late as we all know is vastly different from her early work and sometimes change is hard to take, but give her a chance. As some have stated, it is easy for us to stay captivated with her early work, it was that good and she is an awesome young woman. But she does deserve to at the least really do what she wants, whether it takes off or not. I think she is very brave to do this as she has gone through many changes in a few years too. I do think she has narrowed her market and marketability, but I hope she does well and excedes her own expectations. She will not fail.
All the best to her fans here.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 PM

Orion is on a distinguished road

Alizée means a lot of different things to many people, yet many fans have shared opinions and likes and dislikes. It is simply normal for fans of any artist to lose that drive and heart they once might've had.

The one thing that people need to keep in mind is that this isn't the united nations, and we have to keep a look out for warring factions etc. . . it's about the music and the person: simple enough. Yet, things get complicated when the artist changes and grows up, fans that have fallen in love with a certain look and aura of by-gone eras feel left behind or frustrated due to the effects such changes have on their feelings. . .

There is nothing odd in any of that; it's all normal, and to be expected. Personally, Alizée means a lot to me, more than any body part of style or era ever could. I found her in 2000/01 with the release of ML, joined AF in 2003, and here I am today. My feelings have not changed, and sometimes I may appear "militant" to some, but that's only when people start disrespecting her, and her loyal fans.

I have grown a fondness for the fans on these forums, not because they share their interest in Lili with me, but because whenever I see a person say the sweetest things . . the kindest things your own loyalty for Alizée envelops them, and you see the community as being special.

Sometimes people may not understand another's feelings . . . they question . . . they mock . . . and they attack sometimes. It's all normal. Even when different loyalties arise on forums for different artists, clashes occur . . people get mad, swearing left and right . . grrr here and "shut up" there . . everybody joins in, sides a re taken . . . It's funny, after the fact, ofcourse, but can get very tense durring!

Normal! Take each day as it comes. Enjoy yourselves . .and when the time to move on creeps upon you, exit with class, and respect for your OWN feelings left in those eras that gave you so much happiness, and memories.

Once in a while we have to step back a bit and take life for being much more simpler than we sometimes make it out to be. We may lose sight even of that fact, but we get up, dust ourselves off, and learn from our mistakes and experiences!

I say have fun and enjoy yourselves. Alizée is well off and we have great forums, and enjoy the music and media. We build great communities, and hopefully Lili can create albums for our enjoyment. It's really that simple. Only when feelings get in the way (negative) do we find ourselves off the beaten track, and allow ourselves to argue and even fight. Maybe Alizée does some things that some fans do not agree with, but everyone must realize that it's JUST her versus US . . . . . . . .one v. thousands!

Not everyone is perfect, and when so many eyes are on ONE person, all those little "wrinkles" have a much greater opportunity to be noticed. . . or there is a greater op for her to find new stories, grievances and joys even. The whole mix.

yet sometimes here we are like bees to a hive . . one voice and a deafening buzz, at times. I always tell fans to relax and take a step back. After more than 10 years following Alizée, I have seen it all, and have learned a lot of things about fan psychology, haha. I have seen fights go to the extreme, I have seen MANY more moments of utter joy and exhilaration. Sometimes some of it may seem obsessive, bordering infatuation, etc. I have tried to help such fans over the years, and I have learned that many have personal issues to deal with in their private lives. That fact has made me look out for fans so that they are not taken advantage of, and become prey to vultures.

To all those that lose interest in Alizée, and do so with class and respect, you have always got a community here on these forums. If everyone were to be more understanding of things and what it means when people's feelings change and how to deal with it, the world would be a much better place. Everyone is just out to get the other, it seems at times. There is no loyalty or respect anymore, it seems. . . . On these forums I have seen such acts of kindness though, and brother/sisterhood that we cannot allow ourselves to be fooled into thinking that we are anything but a great community of fans with different stories and reasons for being here.

That is our essence! Any sinister act for being here, or any act that spews negativity must be quashed, if the outcome sought is to disturb and disrupt good people who simply want to enjoy their time following Lili.

If you are a fan of another artist and root for that artist MORE than you do for Lili, Great! power to you, and enjoy yourselves as we do to. Let's not even create competition, especially when artists will not stoop to such levels of disrespect. Why shall we not do the same? Life is too complicated for fans to attack others or accentuate grievances with negative commentary to the extreme.

Alizée has the greatest fans, imho! And why shall we not hear such words on forums dedicated to Alizée!?