Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Alex is on a distinguished road

Well I've been(still) pretty busy, but let me just say my thoughts on this really fast before I get back on my project :P :

I agree with Jung in most of his points. I think we need to see as in today if she is interested in being promoted, performing, or entering the US music market in this UEDS era. It has also been mentioned that in the past she was not fully interested in entering such market for several reasons, but I bet she never was interested or thought of entering the Mexican Music market before and that turned to be a big point in her career. True having out-dated image promotion in Mexico brought dissapointment to alot of people, but all this promotion was done during her absence, but how would they know the 180 degree turn she would make for Psych?

We also need to ask ourselves what or who are we promoting? are we promoting the Alizee from 2000-2010? The lolita Alizee? The UEDS Alizee? Her performances? or Her physical beauty? After we all have decided what we will be promoting then it we need to decide where are promoting her. Will it be in TV stations? Radio Stations? Street Teams? Colleges?, Social Network Sites? etc... and also we have to see what kind of public are we targeting, kids, teens, college students, adults, all of them?

Another good point I read is that Scruffy mentioned YouTube, YouTube has only been out only for 5 years having Moi...Lolita 5yrs outdated, but still as in today it has millions of views of people interested in this video, song, girl. That's an interesting point.

Promotion in Mexico is still being done, street teams in several states are being organized and doing promotions in cities to spread the word and promoting UEDS. Magazines and newspapers have been mentioning UEDS and articles have been seen more frequently in the past weeks. True UEDS has aslo not been successful in Mexico too, but as they have mentioned in their forums, the album artwork and not having the name of the CD or EVEN her name in the CD doesn't help at all. I guess when the time comes and she returns to Mexico, we'll see the overall status of her popularity in Mexico.

So what to do now, we'll I suggest we get well organized in the material we want to promote, and start acting by promoting her personally or thorugh the internet. If we get a response from her about her not being interested in coming to the US then we can stop our promotion and just continue being fans and traveling to see her. I just think it's time most of us stop just giving ideas and supporting those members who been dedicated in promoting her through media, friends, or other ways, because we already have an abundant of ideas in AAm and have only focused on very few of them.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
Ok, I have a few thoughts. One: I agree with wasabi to a certain degree. If she doesn't want to 'come' (whatever that may mean) here, then the most we can do is promote her in small ways, as we have, or maybe this comercial idea. It is her choice in the end. No body can or should force her to 'come' here. Two: does anybody here honestly believe she should have a mass album release here? I have agreed with this point ever snce I heard my frst non-English music years ago. Foreign artists simply don't have the chance to become mass-marketable in the US, as sad as that truth is. This country is just too choc-full of strong patriots, and xenophobes. Alizée's simply is not the type of music for the typical American. If she did have a mass release here, and had reasonable success, I would take that all back. But I don't honestly see it happening. On the subject of México: how do you think she got that strong fan base there? She had to have an initial release there. TBC
I have to disagree. 1) Foreigners can be mass marketed (even assuming you just mean non-English), though it doesn't happen much.
2) She was already popular in Mexico before releasing anything there. They only released there because there was clearly a lot of support and many times a day Mexicans posting to her MySpace account begging her to come to Mexico and declaring their adoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I'm a little confused here. What I'm saying is really pretty simple to understand. I think if she had some type of major exposure in this country, she might have the same type of success that she had in Mexico a few years ago....
She got an increased sense of popularity and credibility by her fame in Mexico, but ultimately I would say that the "type of success that she had in Mexico" was selling albums and concert tickets.

So, is the idea to just create enough support that she will think it is worth coming over for something and thus having her support will help you take it to the next level? Is there a next level? That's what I'm trying to figure out. What is the strategy?

One could say that selling copies of her earlier work is a goal in itself, but unless it's just a way to "get a foot in the door", as it were, in order to turn people on to her new music and the possibility of going to a concert why would she come here for any tv appearances? That's why if you say that you aren't impressed by her new album and don't think a concert would be a good idea, I have trouble comprehending what the point is?

If Alizée gave up the chanced offered by Brian "Mon Maquis" to do a tv show in the U.S., I can understand that maybe she felt it would interfere with her strategy to promote in France or just didn't believe that it would lead to anything. So, I agree that getting a significant boost in interest by major exposure might help to convince her to take certain American fans seriously and help out with promotion here, but is that your point? I do believe that promotion here would be greatly enhanced by her participation/cooperation.

As to the other stuff...
When I found Alizée at the end of 2006, it was disappointing to see that all that great stuff happened years ago and since her situation changed, it was clear that it would not be the same, but unclear what would happen next. Still, I was eager to find out. In the time that I became a fan there was the excitement of seeing all the new performances and interviews coming out, but there was also an overarching looming end goal of going to a concert that pervaded the fan community and my own interest. I dreamed of going to a concert in France like one could see in "en concert". There were times when I felt like my interest was teetering on the idea of at least going to a concert before I could be satisfied. Well, my interest did not stop after I did go to a concert, but the concerts were great, just they happened to be in Mexico instead of France.

I'm not trying to say the radio station promotion is not a good idea. I was just trying to understand what the strategy behind it is.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

I just want to say, if you guys and I pull this off to where she is on any american channel or radio station, I will faint. My friends will too. So like Alex said, we have all the ideas, so let's actually Promote. I know it's hard since people have jobs, a life, and its easier said than done, and most of us are young. But hey, if Alizee tried and succeeded with being a very popular star in France, then we can try and succeed to make her name known here. Break! Sorry if I sound pushy(and dumb and pointless), but I'm tired like everyone else haha.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Yes the main goal of the radio ads, is to sell more albums, which at the same time I'm sure would generate more concert ticket sales. It doesn't really have a main goal of having her come over here, but if it did generate more album sales, it would be in her best interest to come up over here to follow up on that success. The other alternative which I think is a lot less likely to happen is to have her come over here first, and appear on a tv show like I mentioned before, which would generate the same type of mass interest that the radio ads would have.

The main purpose of using her earlier work is because in my opinion it's the best bait, the best way to get her foot in the door, to get her noticed. Once people find out about her, they can decide for themselves whether there disappointed that the songs are from years ago and don't want to hear any more or what I think would happen, they will find out about all her music. Some will love the old, some will love the new. But either way, I think it would bring in a significant amount of new fans. Most of our efforts to get new fans through givning away cd's, putting up flyers, what ever only gains one or two new fans at a time. At the same time, we're probably losing a fan or two who've been around for a few years and have given up the chase. We're making no progress in the number of active fans we have. You can see it in this forum by the names you used to but seldom see any more. We have to do something different. If not this, we have to come up with something else.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 05-27-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it quite interesting that everyone always speaks that "we gotta do this", "we gotta do that" to get more people interested. Last I saw we are not her promoters. Telling your friends and what not is one thing, but when you start talking tv and radio ads, who's gonna pay for such things? She has promoters that promote her where she wants it (no matter how piss poor of a job they do that's their job not ours.) By all means tell your friends and other people who may be interested, but full force promotion is best left to those who she has hired to do that. She knows what she wants.

Quote:
Yes the main goal of the radio ads, is to sell more albums, which at the same time I'm sure would generate more concert ticket sales. It doesn't really have a main goal of having her come over here, but if it did generate more album sales, it would be in her best interest to come up over here to follow up on that success.
First of you need to get all these masses of people interested, and second but most importantly..... Has she responded to the letter that you gave her? I believe that had in there questioning about whether or not she wanted to come here. You are a fan you are supposed to enjoy her not work for her.

Regards,

Jung

Old 05-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
... Most of our efforts to get new fans through givning away cd's, putting up flyers, what ever only gains one or two new fans at a time. At the same time, we're probably losing a fan or two who've been around for a few years and have given up the chase. We're making no progress in the number of active fans we have. You can see it in this forum by the names you used to but seldom see any more. We have to do something different. If not this, we have to come up with something else.
Well, I pretty much agree with you there. It would be great if all the great ideas and contributions that have been posted here over the years could be kept in a discoverable way. Instead, even though everything is here for years to come, it mostly just gets buried under everyone's comments; so we almost might as well be simply doing "chat". That means that new people ask all the same questions and we post all of the same things over and over. To an extent that's good because it gives people the ability to continue to have a reason to communicate, but on the other hand, there is so much art, ideas, promotional materials, links to download stuff, ideas that just get lost to time.
I don't know what to do about that except to do what has been attempted on Alizee-forum.com through was called the Alizee-fanpage.com (see gallery and news section now). But that takes people to update and it has not been made easy to contribute to updates. Somethink like a wiki would work, but it doesn't seem like wikipedia.org is a great place to attempt to put so much stuff. They place a lot of restrictions on things that are not appropriate for fans' needs.
I guess this discussion is going toward this thread Promoting Alizee / AAm.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Not to put a damper on any promotional strategy, but hasn't the U.S. had the same opportunities to see the same youtube video's that the Mexicans have seen. My point is it prompted massive attention in Mexico and minimal interest in the U.S. Actually I think Americans have much more access to youtube just by virtue of the amount of people that have computers and or access. No disrespect towards Mexico or it's wonderful culture, but it is still by and large a 3rd world country the last time I checked. Their cultural differences not withstanding, they obviously have different taste in music than americans by and large. In other words I don't think the lack of exposure is much of a factor as to why Alizee didn't set off the same firestorm here. Although we super fans that completely get it when it comes to Alizee and can't understand why everyone hasn't fallen in love with her, it is just a fact. I guess I am saying that It would take an all out blitz by Alizee and her promotional team to increase the exposure way beyond what youtube has failed to do in America. As far as I know there hasn't been a peep from Alizee regarding the request and AA volunteering to promote Alizee here in America. Going it alone will take millions of dollars of advertisement in all venues to have a chance of success. I do have great admiration and respect for all that have taken action to promote Alizee in America and by all means keep it up. I may be all wet and I hope I am and am proven wrong for fans sake and Alizee's.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
Not to put a damper on any promotional strategy, but hasn't the U.S. had the same opportunities to see the same youtube video's that the Mexicans have seen. My point is it prompted massive attention in Mexico and minimal interest in the U.S. Actually I think Americans have much more access to youtube just by virtue of the amount of people that have computers and or access. No disrespect towards Mexico or it's wonderful culture, but it is still by and large a 3rd world country the last time I checked. Their cultural differences not withstanding, they obviously have different taste in music than americans by and large. In other words I don't think the lack of exposure is much of a factor as to why Alizee didn't set off the same firestorm here. Although we super fans that completely get it when it comes to Alizee and can't understand why everyone hasn't fallen in love with her, it is just a fact. I guess I am saying that It would take an all out blitz by Alizee and her promotional team to increase the exposure way beyond what youtube has failed to do in America. As far as I know there hasn't been a peep from Alizee regarding the request and AA volunteering to promote Alizee here in America. Going it alone will take millions of dollars of advertisement in all venues to have a chance of success. I do have great admiration and respect for all that have taken action to promote Alizee in America and by all means keep it up. I may be all wet and I hope I am and am proven wrong for fans sake and Alizee's.
Well yeah, I agree. The magical super-popularity explosion didn't happen before and probably won't happen now, but assuming that the radio thing did work to get some people's attention, it would be good to have a plan to hold their attention. Send them to a web site where they are given instructions on what to do next in their journey of becoming an Alizée fan (download this, send a letter here, post a message to Alizée saying such and such here, and hopefully we will succeed in getting X to offer to put her on tv and we can convince her to do it.) ?? something like that?

How about having a web site where all efforts to promote and all successes in promoting Alizée are listed in a readable format and maybe in a chronology rather than letting them just get buried and forgotten in threads like this. Yeah, why don't we have that? Who would even take up the effort to update such a thing? Hey, that would be like having a fan club. Imagine that.

Oops. Again that belongs here I guess: http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?p=166975

Hey, make 2000 CDs and drop them out of an airplane over a populated area.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Big fan of SooYoung and IU

Lucian_RO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
I find it quite interesting that everyone always speaks that "we gotta do this", "we gotta do that" to get more people interested. Last I saw we are not her promoters. Telling your friends and what not is one thing, but when you start talking tv and radio ads, who's gonna pay for such things? She has promoters that promote her where she wants it (no matter how piss poor of a job they do that's their job not ours.) By all means tell your friends and other people who may be interested, but full force promotion is best left to those who she has hired to do that. She knows what she wants.

First of you need to get all these masses of people interested, and second but most importantly..... Has she responded to the letter that you gave her? I believe that had in there questioning about whether or not she wanted to come here. You are a fan you are supposed to enjoy her not work for her.

Regards,

Jung
I just want to share my pessimism with you. It's far too complicated for some regular fans to achieve what her management hasn't achieved lately (especially in 2007/2008, from what I read, her promotion was awful). The point is, when you're such a huge fan like Scruffy, you'd like to convince all the world to think just like you, but it's going to be a big disappointment not being able to achieve what you wanted because you simply aimed too high.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

The problem with Youtube is though just about every one who has internet access knows and has been to Youtube many times. The average person only finds out about her through accident, like the way I did, when I was searching for a Madonna song, I stumbled across Alizée's version of La Isla Bonita. So again you are only finding one or two new fans at a time. What happened in Mexico is, after finding out about Alizée, her new fans organized their efforts to spread the word. It certainly wasn't just because of Youtube.

There was mention of the possiblity of a concert in France in september. I seriously doubt there will be another concert in France. The French apparently don't like this album. They didn't like Psych. Why would they go to one of her concerts? What will happen in Mexico? If she doesn't put on a good showing there, she has nothing left. There will be no more albums.

That's why I use the word "we" so much. Her best hope for any type of meaningful success is in this country. She doesn't have enough confidence in her chances of success here, so she probably will not try to promote anything here and will not try to come here. So what do "we" do? Do we just stand by and watch her career slowly come to an end, or do we try and do something about it? Maybe it doesn't mean that much to most of the people in here if her career goes down the tubes, there are plenty of other singers out there. but for me, in all my many days on this earth, there is no one who has come close to bringing as much enjoyment into my life as she has. . So I'm trying to come up with something, anything. If any one has any other ideas that are practical, I'm eager to hear them.