Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Should I e-mail them first or just show up with a brief case full of cds? If I e mail them, they might think I'm doing this for some type of financial gain, where if I just show up in person, hopefully they'll be able to see I'm sincere in what I'm trying to do. Maybe they also do a little fund raising for their cultural center. I'll make a $100.00 donation, that might be small potatoes to them but maybe it will somewhat prove my sincerity.
I don't think that you will be well received if you just show up and start handing out CDs, but then again, if you e-mail them, they might misinterpret your agenda and think that you're doing it for profit, as you mentioned.
I do, however, think that the appropriate thing to do would be to e-mail them wishing to find out more details about the open house, while expressing an interest in French culture and particularly music; you could tell them how discovering Alizée has motivated you to learn more. That might not be entirely accurate, but the bottom line is that money talks. The French Cultural Center, might be genuinely interested in promoting French culture and serving as a place where people interested in French culture can share ideas and convene, but they exist by charging for membership, and by selling French courses, among other things, and if they see Alizée as someone that can get people interested in French culture, subsequently bringing in more paid members to the French Cultural Center, they might be a lot more accommodating.

Quote:
Now what songs to put on a cd. I would think just about all French. You would think that some one who is interested in attending this type of event would probably speak French, but that might not be the story in a lot of cases.
As docdtv pointed out, not all events are held in French, and since they offer French courses, I'm assuming that quite a few of their members are English speakers only. So, you might want to include a couple of her English songs, but then again, her English songs are not exactly up to par with her French songs...

Quote:
Well this is a real quick version of the songs I'd like to include on a cd to hand out, or maybe I should make it a DVD.
In my opinion, a DVD with some videos of her performances has more potential to attract new fans. When I discovered Alizée I did like her music, but that wasn't what motivated me to research and find out more about her, it was her beauty. I thought she was, and still is, absolutely gorgeous and that's what piqued my curiosity. After watching countless videos of her performances, and interviews, and after reading numerous articles, I discovered that she's as beautiful on the inside as she's on the outside. Now I appreciate her music as much as I appreciate her, and I love Alizée the person, as much as I love Alizée the artist.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Well I guess I made the mistake of contacting the French cultural center and asking them if I could attend their open house and pass out free dvd's of Alizée's music along with a letter explaining what we were doing.
One of the main things they do here is teach French and the main purpose of the open house is so prospective students could come and learn more about their center. They said there was something else going on that night so they expected the place to be very crowded and didn't think it was a good idea under these cirmcumstances. I did talk to one young woman, Emily, who did speak English well as opposed to the 3 previous women I talked to and said she would post a flyer up for us if I would e-mail one over. I made up one real quick using the picture of a face that would launch a thousand ships. Unfortunately in my haste to get it there before they closed, the type didn't come out as clear as I would have liked it to, but it's readable and will have to do. I'll post a picture of it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was pretty demoralizing. I should have just showed up with a knapsack full of dvd's, pretending I was a prospective student and passed them out clandestinely. Maybe I'll still make some up and just go over there tomorrow and pass them out in front of the building.

Magic 106.7 never sent me the times for the ads over the weekend.
Here are the times for tonights ads which I will try and record.

7:11 - 7:21 pm Youpidoo
8:40 - 8:50 pm A Contre Courant
10:11 - 10:21 pm I'm not twenty
11:36 - 11:46 pm Ella Ella

5 ads will air tuesday night. They gave me the times which I will post tomorrow. They didn't say which songs, but Moi Lolita shoud be broadcast for the first time.

P.S. I just recieved the following e-mail from Emily at the cultural center.

Hi Dave,
I am not able to print in color in the format in which you sent the flyer. Could you please send it in a Word document or a PDF form?
Thank you!
Emily
I don't have any experience with posting pictures in a word document or pdf form. Can someone do it for me and e-mail it to me and I'll e-mail it to her in the morning. Here's the picture I would like used and you can get the text from the picture above.

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/et4rxi.jpg/
Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Merci Alizée

Just sent you an e-mail with the flyers.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Thank You MA.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe I'll still make some up and just go over there tomorrow and pass them out in front of the building.
I think you should do it. This is the last week that the Alizée ads will be playing, and if you want her songs to be played on the radio this might be your last chance. I'm pretty confident that at least a few people have called Magic 106.7 to request Alizée songs, and if you manage to pass out some DVDs and flyers, I'm sure that some more people will call to request them, and that might just be enough to get her songs to be played.
Of course, the final decision rests in your hands, and if you feel good about doing it, then you should go for it, but if you don't that's alright as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM

The only problem is in my experience of trying to pass out free cds or dvds, people dont believe you're giving away something good for free. They figure there's some catch to it and a lot of times don't want any part of it.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Amélie/Emily m'a dit? ;)

Quote:
Well I guess I made the mistake of contacting the French cultural center and asking them if I could attend their open house and pass out free dvd's of Alizée's music along with a letter explaining what we were doing... I did talk to one young woman, Emily, who did speak English well as opposed to the 3 previous women I talked to and said she would post a flyer up for us if I would e-mail one over...

It was pretty demoralizing... Maybe I'll still make [disks] some up and just go over there tomorrow and pass them out in front of the building...

P.S. I just recieved the following e-mail from Emily at the cultural center.

Hi Dave,
I am not able to print in color in the format in which you sent the flyer. Could you please send it in a Word document or a PDF form?
Thank you!
Emily
Don't be demoralized! It was KIND of Emily to make the gesture of posting your bill when they are so busy preparing for their commercially important Open House! You may want to contemplate reciprocating in some way, after reading my thoughts below.

I remind you that The French Cultural Center of Boston includes a library, which like typical modern places of that category possesses audio and video recordings. Among these you will find two CD titles you will recognize - "Gourmandises" and "Psychédélices." But when I tried using their online library catalog search engine at: http://204.19.231.60:88/zonesl/ (and then select from left-side menu) I could NOT find three other disks I wanted to see there. You know which ones I mean! They are: "Mes Courants Électriques", "Alizée En Concert" and "Une Enfant du Siècle". (You can see their Alizee collection via:
http://204.19.231.60:88/alswww6.dll/...22951277162098
Someone named Alizée d'Oc is also cited in another catalog entry.)

Surely some combination of people at Alizée America can finance filling out their Alizée collection, with their kind permission. One can start with "Une Enfant du Siècle." I remind Scruffy that I myself, and then many others, pledged to pay him, without evidence, in the event some person fails to buy the Paris CD he had personalized, so that he might send that "orphan" CD to a radio station of his choosing instead.

As far as I am concerned, a donation to a library in the network of Alliance Française institutions in North America is just as good - and I suspect the other insurance underwriters would say so too if asked. In fact, rather than send a CD to a radio station unlikely to play it, I think its gurarenteed presence in a major urban French library open to the public is even better, at least as a first step.

If all the UEdS CDs are in fact now gone, we can still work something out, just as we can for the two other missing titles. Wouldn't this be a very modest way to say thank you to the Corsican Girl?

The library now at issue posts its rules and policies at:
http://www.frenchlib.org/index.cfm/l...-and-policies/
In part, these state that: "The Library welcomes everyone to visit, browse, read and/or consult the catalog or the librarians. However borrowing privileges are restricted to members." It is not clear if there is any opportunity for the public to audit recordings in-room, but Cultural Center members obviously may borrow same.

An inquiry of the library's interest in our prospective gesture can be made to librarian@frenchculturalcenter.org . It is possible they might refuse! Decades ago now, I remember the first time I offered to donate some fine books to the collection of a public library. I was taken aback when the librarian said that the local "Library Friends" group would instead be happy to accept my books and attempt to sell them to raise funds for the library.

One should always try to crawl before running. But if manage to stock the French library in Boston, the next stop could be New York City for a similar effort. Remember, the Boston folks say: "We belong to the largest network of French language and cultural centers in the world, with... 140 chapters in the US..." (cf. http://www.frenchlib.org/index.cfm/l...h-at-the-fccb/ )

I don't know if Scruffy would find enough personal advantage in becoming a member of the Boston center at $120 per annum. But a cheaper way to say thanks for posting a problematic paper bill is available with a few clicks and a PayPal account, by starting at
http://www.frenchlib.org/index.cfm/s...ontribute-now/
They write: "The French Cultural Center of Boston appreciates gifts of any amount."

I'd also point out that our Internet Age potentially makes it possible to be an off-site volunteer. Perhaps the Cultural Center has never had someone of this description yet, but there is a first time for everything! It may be significant that their Web site links to no online videos. Perhaps the free services of an experienced Internet video editor would be most welcome. (It would seem they might even appreciate less challenging assistance with desktop publishing!) One could make an e-mail query of Nicole Malo, the French Cultural Center's Membership Liaison via nicole@frenchculturalcenter.org

A less forward way to volunteer would be to use their standard volunteer form at:
http://www.frenchlib.org/index.cfm/a.../volunteering/
Note that they say "We are looking for qualified volunteers to help with administrative tasks, cultural programs and special events." Among the answers one can give to the question on "French Speaking Ability" is "I know a few words!" Surely anyone who has visited France on multiple occasions can make that claim, if not more.

A simple act of friendship which the French Cultural Center might appreciate is a link from the AAm Facebook page to the NEW, post-merger page they maintain at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/French...1457867?ref=mf
The old one is still online at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston...8873876?ref=ts
A very close friend of mine has made the first entry on their new Facebook discussion board, whose topic title is "Alizée, chanteuse française".

By the way, if you like, you can make contact with 24 "confirmed guests" of their Bastille Day festival via Facebook at:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...727226&index=1
(Aside: Could someone with name like Fabrizio Mazzetta, a home town of Paris and a current town of Boston possibly be of Corsican descent? It would seem not, the Mazzetta surname is only intensely present (10+ PPM) in Switzerland and Italy, and Infobel reveals not one Mazzetta on I d B.)

I will now think aloud. I hope no one will be offended or feel imposed upon. I had said that the plans for the 8 July Boston Bastille Day festival are surely set in stone by now. But one hopes that the radio ads will motivate many Boston area residents to hit http://alizeeamerica.com now. What if one could slap a big ad for the festival on this Web page between now and its execution? Would its organizers do something of potential value to AAm, like concede a free booth space at which sample CDs and cheap rectangular stickers might be distributed - and perhaps even YouTube videos played (possibly even from a looped DVD which "caches" said videos?) Could this be a dry run for the forthcoming Annual North American Alizée Convention, in Boston? (You already know I think Montreal is a way better venue!) Maybe this is all just a very silly dream, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Will the planets ever again be in better alignment for a magic trick like this?

You can reach what appears to be the event coordinators (or maybe just the music impressarios?), World Music/CRASHarts at (617) 876-4275. Learn more about them at: http://www.worldmusic.org/about_aboutus.php ) Their Web site writes in part: "World Music, Inc. was established by Maure Aronson in 1990 to connect performing artists from cultures around the globe with audiences in greater Boston." Someone who dreams that Alizée herself might one day perform in Boston, however unlikely that might be, could seem to do worse than touching base with this entity!

The French Cultural Center itself give yet another telephone number in connection with the event, (617)912-0400 .

When Scruffy touches base with Emily again he could say something like this: As a simple fan and entertainment amateur, I very much appreciate your kind help with my Alizée publicity on such short notice. Surely a charming woman like yourself deserves a song in her honor. My favorite singer long ago recorded one for you, but I hope you will not be offended that she could not get your name completely correct. Then point her at:

I could tell you one can rely on advice from someone with bastard children in fourteen countries, but such a claim would be a lie!

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 06-21-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Here are 3 of the 4 commercials that aired last night.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dywmmgim15m

Edit:

It's an Alizée blitzkreig on Magic 106.7 tonight 5 commercials being played. They didn't tell me which ones. Hopefully I'll get home from the cultural center by then to record them
Here are the times
8:16
8:45
9:45
10:13
11:38

all times are pm plus or min 5 minutes of assigned times

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 06-22-2010 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Scruff for handing out and sending out flyers to promote her!

But man DocTV I get halfway down your posts and it hits me that i have another 20mins worth of a post to read haha. But yah good point that we should try and fill their Alizee collection to spread her even more. But do enough people access that library or whatever it is that it would be worth it? Just putting it out there not trying to shoot it down sorry.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Extensive versus intensive evangelization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
But yah good point that we should try and fill their Alizee collection to spread her even more. But do enough people access that library or whatever it is that it would be worth it? Just putting it out there not trying to shoot it down sorry.
There certainly is a big part of me that says something like: "Oh, how quaint! A physical atom-based library you visit in person in this age of potential cloud-based global 24/365 universal information sent using bits at the speed of light! Why would anyone move when they could potentially interface with everyone else in virtual reality and effect physical work through robotic proxies?"

And in fact, certainly "very little" of Alizée's music is unavailable electronically at no out-of-pocket cost, and through an overt and convenient source like YouTube at that.

But while the CD channel surely is shrinking fast, some people still buy music that way and Société Alizée STILL can make a bit of money selling disks. I think such people can be prompted to make a decision to buy when they can hold a CD in their hands, such as in a library. And by whatever means, the operations of The French Cultural Center of Boston STILL provides some magnetic pull on Boston area residents who are (potentially) into French things. I assert that the language barrier is the biggest problem for access to the USA by Alizée, making the Center one of the few holes in the linguistic Maginot Line in New England. Putting this all together, supporting the Center with Alizée media is a fairly unique opportunity in Boston, and when the radio campaign is over, the Center may be Scruffy's best opportunity to make local converts should he be inclined to continue trying. You should think of the jewel cases that hold disks as heavy flyers people do not toss out like they do paper ones.

You may recall that for some time I lamented the futility of supporting art through media and file sales as Napsterism becomes ever more universal, and argued that direct subsidy through patronage should be revived as a major revenue stream. I have not changed my mind - only my opinion of AAm's potential to play a useful role in such a movement.

As the WorldCat-based library holding studies cited here revealed, very few copies of Alizée's music are held on physical media in the world's lending libraries - NONE AT ALL showed up in New England. (Evidently the small library of The French Cultural Center of Boston is not a WorldCat participant.) It would not cost a lot of money to fill out the Center's Alizée collection, certainly not compared to a $3,000 radio campaign, and then one could send old-fashioned people in the ad campaign area still into physical media there to sample all her stuff. IF Scruffy has any ambition to leverage the Center to evangelize Alizée, surely filling out their library is a simple kind gesture that could get a relationship started out on the right foot. AAm could even help him do that.

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 06-22-2010 at 04:12 PM..