Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 AM

sumi1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I used the formula T=2Vyi/g, and got T=1.114seconds, now is that the total "in-air" time of the projectile, or just the time "to return to launching height from the max height"?
Time to return to launching height from *launching height*.

Quote:
And again, X=VxT.... X=.7442meters, is that the total range or just from launcher to max height?
Total range, assuming T is as in previous question.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Alright Sumi, I'm laying in bed now (I'm about ready to abandon that crap, but I'm so frustrated I want to solve it all the more)

I found a formula to solve for the angle,
2ø=arcsin(gR/Vyi^2)

But gravity times the range makes the numerator greater than the denominator, and you can't solve arcsin(anything greater than 1), and I think that fraction works out to be something like 60something/29.7...

It worked when I had had solved the velocity incorrectly and had the velocity ten times slower than it should've been, but even then I got something like ø=7.08...
Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 AM

sumi1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alright Sumi, I'm laying in bed now (I'm about ready to abandon that crap, but I'm so frustrated I want to solve it all the more)

I found a formula to solve for the angle,
2ø=arcsin(gR/Vyi^2)

But gravity times the range makes the numerator greater than the denominator, and you can't solve arcsin(anything greater than 1), and I think that fraction works out to be something like 60something/29.7...

It worked when I had had solved the velocity incorrectly and had the velocity ten times slower than it should've been, but even then I got
something like ø=7.08...
I assume that you are still trying to solve for maximum angle so that the projectile just misses the ceiling by 5 cm. Now to make sure that I understand the notations you are using -- Is Vyi the vertical component of initial velocity? Then in the formula you mentioned, the denominator should not have Vyi but Vi. Further, how did you derive the formula? I would just equate the potential energy at max height with kinetic energy due to vertical velocity. That gives:

theta = arcsin(2g(H-0.05)/Vi^2)^0.5
Old 11-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Recline yourself

Sumi, you are awesome. That formula worked perfectly....

Unfortunately......... I'm still doing the rest of the problem incorrectly. I'll make a diagram and post it later
Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 AM
Euphoria

Tom is on a distinguished road

1. In Runescape, how do you level the new skills? (new to me): Hunter, Summoning, Dungeoneering.

2. I didn't understand the end of Lost. What really happend?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Recline yourself

- Hunter: Same as any other active skill. You start out "hunting" for smaller game (such as setting a trap for a kebbit). You get xp for setting traps, and successfully capturing game.
http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/...etting_started
- Summoning: I'm not too keen on this skill, I don't train it (my levels in hunter and summoning is greatly due to Tears of Guthix, and my dungeoneering level is ONLY due to tears of guthix). Basically you gain XP by combining "ingredients" that grow in scarcity/cost as the level increases to create a "pouch", and when you click on the pouch you will "release" the spirit animal you put into the pouch (depending on the ingredients). It's a pretty useful skill from what I've heard, as each different animal aides you in combat and has passive skills as well (ex: the rock shelled crab has some weird special attack, and boosts your fishing level up like +4).
http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/...ing_the_basics
- Dungeoneering: I have no clue. I haven't really paid any attention to it, and I don't understand how it's a "skill". From what I understand, it's a cross between agility and thieving that you can only train at ONE place. This place (I think it's a pyramid in the kharidian desert) has different "levels" that you can enter and pretty much loot/steal treasures n' shit.
http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/...ing_the_basics

--------

2. What I believe (and I'm pretty sure I'm accurate) is that everything that had occurred on the island (time travel, others, smoke, etc) was real. Real stuff that happened on a fucked up island in the world. It would make a lot more sense if you rewatch in your head season 6 ignoring the "sidways universe" scenes. Bomb didn't work, lighthouse, Ricardus, Jack dying, end scene. End of the physical story of Lost.

However, before all the survivors moved on to heaven, a limbo (everything in the sideways universe) is created and "replays" the world as if the island never existed (I believe to kind of give their souls a "second" chance to have a normal life, since the island fucked up theirs). Within this limbo, the islanders lived "lives" until they began to find clues (starting with Desmond) that all isn't as it seems. Desmond realizes (but never states) that he's figured out that all that is limbo, and knows that before he can "move on" he must trigger revelations in all the other people (So rich Desmond is just Desmond, but after he has his revelation he regains all the memories and then becomes the real Desmond from the island).

Jack, that stubborn ass, is the last to have a revelation, and is told by his father something like "time doesn't apply here...." Basically what he meant was that that "universe" was limbo and it didn't technically "start" until everyone involved with the island had died ("some died before you, and some long after"... so the limbo didn't start until Aaron had died in the real world)(also, the bit between Hurley and Ben at the church shows that Hurley and Ben had continued to live on the island for some time "you were a great number 2/1").

Why they'd need to realize their lives and accept it, I'm not sure (it may have some religious themes, but I'm not religious so I can't readily identify them).

Island (real), everyone dies, everyone goes to limbo (sideways), and then ascends to heaven after CHRISTIAN SHEPHERD opens the doors.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Euphoria

Thank you very much Lok'schtar for all that information.

- Hunter sounds boring, I hope you can have the creatures you capture as pets.
- Summoning sounds very useful but boring to level. Creating "pouches"? Sounds like it's kind of like Herblore/Crafting.
- Dungeoneering sounds like Pyramid Plunder or something.

Also about RuneScape:

I heard the maximum combat level is not 126 anymore. What is it now?
And also, how can you get from 126 to the new combat level? Is one of the new skills a "combat skill"? Hunter?

<hr>
That made things a lot clearer about Lost, really. I tried to find out just after I watched it what really happend online but I still didn't get it. Thanks.

I prefered Lost in the beginning when everything wasn't so "messed up".
Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Recline yourself

You don't keep what you capture per se, but for example with level 5 hunter you can have pet dogs (well, you can have one, choosing between several different breeds), 10 I think you can have geckos and penguins follow you, and so on until 99 where you can even have a baby dragon follow you (I think you get the creatures just by chance, like getting a birds nest while wcing)

Yeah, they tried to make summoning like some druidic-native american-spiritual crap (you don't have animals, you have "spirit" animals who in spirit will help you (although it's pretty entertaining to see someone walking around with a terrorbird following them)

The new max level is 136, and it's due to dungeoneering. Again, I don't know crap about that skill, but there must be some combat aspect to it.

-----

I'm a Lostophile like none other. I remember deciding two summers ago "uh, I'm bored... *goes on netflix*, k I'm going to watch one of these two shows that are said to be good; Lost or Dexter".

I chose Lost.

(backstory: I look forward to summers because I don't follow a sleeping schedule, I go as long as I can, sleep wherever I drop repeat. I'll be awake for 30 hours, but I'll sleep for like 24, which is really creepy, it's like time traveling)

I watched Season 1 uninterrupted in one shot, ate some food, watched season 2 in one shot, half of season 3, slept, finished 3 and 4, season 5 took a bit longer because I had to watch it on youtube (wasn't on netflix at the time) in 480p with each episode being divided into thirds and taking a couple minutes for each to fully buffer.

Then I was looking for season six... I started freaking out because I couldn't find it, then I see "season 6 premiers Feb 10" (keep in mind, this was like the first week of July 09)

Then I moved away from New Korea to Whiterepublicanland, and freaking every other episode it'd get interrupted with those BEEP BEEP EMERGENCY things talking about a 15% of flash flood in a county an hour and a half away...

I admit to man-crying (there's a difference) on the finale.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Euphoria

Ok, thanks again! I won't start playing again though, just interested. The game seems to have changed a lot.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Recline yourself

It's not the same game as when I started back in 06

---

Does anyone know of an online converter that can convert .aif to .mp3?