Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I was reading one of my magazines today and there was a short interview with Sandy Vee, a French producer who recently moved to New York. Last year alone, he had Top 10 Billboard hits with Katy Perry, David Guetta, and Rihanna. So you can tell he obviously has credibility. You can read it here: http://emusician.com/interviews/feat...alk_sandy_vee/

Anyways, here's a quote of one of the questions and answers:

Quote:
What’s the music scene like in Paris?

France is a small country. We have some great talent, some very talented people with good vibes, but the market is really down. A friend told me yesterday that in a week, a Top 10 single in France sells just 500 copies a week. That’s just crazy. It’s very different working here.
You can see what Alizée and other French artists are up against.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
You can see what Alizée and other French artists are up against.
Yes it's very sad...

I believe Alizée also mentioned in an interview last year that there were not many tv shows in France for her to perform her single Les Collins on as the market was down.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 PM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
Really?

Well I'd say Alizée's voice was pretty much up there with her performances Il Jouait Du Piano Debout, La Isla Bonita and Ella Elle L'a. Offcourse they will always be some of her most classic and beautiful renditions/performances.. but what made Dis lui toi que je t'aime so amazing for me was the fact she was singing it live without it being polished up and tweaked in the studio.

Alizée sang her heart out here and this is one of most amazing renditions I've ever heard and I'm not just saying that cause it's Alizée.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VuYkEPyDquw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well one could argue that they're both beautiful versions.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UuwIOb3zRSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Alizee did very well until the last verse and she went sharp on the highest note. You can see that look on the face of the cute violin player during that sequence as the camera cut away to the violinist. She heard it too.All in all it was a very good performance especially for a live performance.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
Alizee did very well until the last verse and she went sharp on the highest note. You can see that look on the face of the cute violin player during that sequence as the camera cut away to the violinist. She heard it too.All in all it was a very good performance especially for a live performance.
I too thought I saw something in the expression of this girl.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:00 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naft View Post
I just watched several live versions of Moi...Lolita, one particular caught my attention, the Saturday Night Show one.
Are you referring to this rendition:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8jjTmu1uD9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If so, I am sorry, but I doubt very much this is live. Why do you say it is?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Cheesy

Naft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Are you referring to this rendition:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8jjTmu1uD9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If so, I am sorry, but I doubt very much this is live. Why do you say it is?
Because it's on the Saturday Night Live show? She's lipsyncing, but still there "performing" it live.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naft View Post
Because it's on the Saturday Night Live show? She's lipsyncing, but still there "performing" it live.
Well, if that is what you meant, sure.

BTW, I’m sure you know about this, but it is The Saturday Night Show. Saturday Night Live is something completely different.

Last edited by Corsaire; 03-01-2011 at 01:49 AM..
Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
...Dis lui toi que je t'aime
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VuYkEPyDquw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ok, now I also thought that was cool to see/hear Alizée sing a song like that. I don't really remember her singing a song like that before. I thought she did really well, but if there's something not that good about it, it wasn't her delivery but rather it would be her voice. That might seem strange since particularly back in the day, I said that the special thing that Alizée had was her voice which I really loved. I think if you are in the mindset that you really love Alizée and her voice, then it's great and I would think you would like it.
But if one doesn't like her voice in the song, I think it's because they don't think that her voice fits that kind of song that well. Alizée's voice doesn't quite have the timber that I think Vanessa's does (nor probably most singers). Alizée's voice I have figured out tends to be more nasally or something and I think some people don't like that. But yeah, I thought she did a really good job there. And you know, I don't particularly care for Vanessa's voice in general. So, to me it seems like this comes to personal preference. As Scruffy suggested, I think Alizée could be made to sound significantly better in a studio recording because, for one thing, they can isolate the voice and move levels around to balance sounds or bring out a quality that might be difficult to do in a live performance. I think that second Paradis song was better, though the file quality was fairly poor. But yes, I think it was cool to see Alizée sing a song well live and get the sounds she was going for and all of that. There is something about having a good live performance, at least occasionally. It shows the talent that she does have. If I suggest that Alizée does not have talent in singing, I'm forgetting many occasions. But that's not what I say, rather I say that it doesn't sweep her away and rather must be presented right for people to be impressed and carried away by her. After she's lost that "air" of pop-star, I'm not sure what can be done to get it back. It's more like these performances that one expects now. Alizée was not that big of a deal in her school or even at Graines de Stars, but the way Mylène presented her (and after instructing her on how to sing the songs and so forth, according to Alizée) Alizée came out looking like a real sensation. And of course I must point out that her performances were nearly all lip-synced. She actually has done more live singing this last year (in the very few performances she gave). Mais, bon.
But this is not the song I was making reference to before anyway.

@lefty, wow. That is really abysmal. I guess it's reserved for maybe only a few people to sell albums. I had seen some crazy numbers like that too. But I also thought I've heard of some performers like Nolwell Leroy selling over a 100K. In any case, I find it hard to understand how a singer can exist in a career where she does not perform her music anywhere for any amount of money or whatever. Alizée did one live performance. It just doesn't add up or down to me if people actually think she's a good singer and want to hear her; so, I have to assume that they don't or that she doesn't want to bother unless she's going to get paid. The latter doesn't even seem that likely considering what she did perform during the year. It's a matter of the strong survive it seems to me and that Alizée only performs when someone asks her to. She does not set up her own shows. I mean, what does that even mean? There was a time when she could have gotten people together for that, but she left it up to RCA or the concert organizer or whatever. That's how it went. They had a plan and not much outside of that plan was done. I don't really expect otherwise, but when it became clear that she badly needed some buzz, we said, do anything with anyone to make something happen. My guess is that Alizée figured that if following the normal methods it didn't happen, that it just wasn't to be. It can be extremely difficult to step outside of that and try to make something more happen. And in fact she even eventually did with the Alizée tv thing.

For what it's worth, there is one time that Alizée was singing live for sure. It was a different performance.

And as to Scruffy's question, I still think (perhaps hypocritically after giving so many opinions about this stuff) that it's sort of in bad taste to try to come up with, as a group, a list of stuff that we think Alizée should do, especially after having lived through so much of this and seen Alizée apparently take little to no interest in such opinions after months (years now?). I guess I sort of feel like, if she could have done something, she would have and it's sort of like harassment to try to pressure her into doing things that she is probably in less of a position to actually make happen than ever before. You saw how she reacted to that other guy's post. She wants someone to do something for her (/her career) I think, not tell her what she should do. (ok, and like with the paparazzi, if she's harassed enough, she's going to lose it.) I suppose people say, "have concerts" and she thinks, no sh** dude, but how!? My answer in mid-2008 would have been something along the lines of, however you can! You just can't let it go because everyone will lose heart and loose faith in you! I guess not everyone did, but many did. And then 2009, 10? Seriously? People were talking about concerts around now a couple months back? It feels to me like I have about as much chance of having a concert or anyone who can get on stage and sing (ok, which I can't do). Being a singer was something that I have always wished I could do. Alizée did it and sort of still continues. That's pretty cool. But outside of fairytales comes doing business and that's what she ran into. Il faut toujours montrer l'espoir, malgré les faits qui nous blessent ?

I pretty much ran out of hope a couple years back and figured that if gnashing of teeth is what it would come to, then I'd really like to think that Alizée could just get into something where people are not treating her this way and where instead she could just do something where people would be happy with it. I think she just wants to have peace and have people happy with whatever she does rather than wading into the fray and all that. But what do I know? She's the stubborn one and she's the one who tried with another album, though at the time it made all the sense to give it a shot. Did Alizée herself really say that she will work on another album (even if through the unofficial official rumor sources)?

And ok, so she reads her own Facebook wall. I figure she probably does not read this kind of stuff. And really, do you think she'd be inspired by it?

Merci Fanny
Old 03-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Cheesy

Naft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Well, if that is what you meant, sure.

BTW, I’m sure you know about this, but it is The Saturday Night Show. Saturday Night Live is something completely different.
Well, if the technical term is in fact that she's actually singing it live then I apologize.

Yeah, I must have gotten it confused with its American counterpart, aren't they both talkshows though?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
And as to Scruffy's question, I still think (perhaps hypocritically after giving so many opinions about this stuff) that it's sort of in bad taste to try to come up with, as a group, a list of stuff that we think Alizée should do, especially after having lived through so much of this and seen Alizée apparently take little to no interest in such opinions after months (years now?). I guess I sort of feel like, if she could have done something, she would have and it's sort of like harassment to try to pressure her into doing things that she is probably in less of a position to actually make happen than ever before. You saw how she reacted to that other guy's post. She wants someone to do something for her (/her career) I think, not tell her what she should do. (ok, and like with the paparazzi, if she's harassed enough, she's going to lose it.) I suppose people say, "have concerts" and she thinks, no sh** dude, but how!? My answer in mid-2008 would have been something along the lines of, however you can! You just can't let it go because everyone will lose heart and loose faith in you! I guess not everyone did, but many did. And then 2009, 10? Seriously? People were talking about concerts around now a couple months back? It feels to me like I have about as much chance of having a concert or anyone who can get on stage and sing (ok, which I can't do). Being a singer was something that I have always wished I could do. Alizée did it and sort of still continues. That's pretty cool. But outside of fairytales comes doing business and that's what she ran into. Il faut toujours montrer l'espoir, malgré les faits qui nous blessent ?
@Roman, I think you make a good point here. I’ve been thinking about this too and here are some of my thoughts on the subject.

It is fine to speculate about where Alizée’s career will take her and what has happened behind the scenes to put her in the position she finds herself in today. It is also fine to talk about the direction we would like to see Alizée go or the music we would like to see her do. There are a lot of good topics for discussion. And it probably is valuable information for Alizée, to know how the fans react to something she has done. We know what we like and don’t like and that is our right, and this is probably useful for Alizée to know and for us to share. But I think sometimes fans go overboard with their attempts to tell her how to run her career.

I say this with all due respect to everyone and I sincerely mean no offense. But how many of us have been inside the music business and know its inner workings? How many of us have set foot in a recording studio or played live on stage? How many have written songs or sang on stage professionally? How many have produced an album or worked as a promoter or booking agent? How many have read and signed a recording contract, or are lawyers specializing in entertainment law? The fact of the matter is, most of us here have no professional experience in any of these areas, yet we continue to tell a woman who has been a star, been in the music business for 10 years and sold millions, how to run her affairs. Honestly, why should she take advice from amateurs? Who knows, maybe she is even offended that we think she knows less than us, even though most of us know next to nothing to begin with. Yes, some things may be obvious, even without experience. But do we think Alizée isn’t smart enough to know the obvious?
Personally, I think we have no idea what efforts she has made and things she has tried behind the scenes and out of sight of the fans. I'm not saying Alizée hasn't made mistakes and caused some of her own problems, but I doubt many of her fans could do better.

Again, I’m not trying to offend anyone and I know everyone has Alizée’s best interests in mind. But I believe it must be very difficult for her to read all this "advice" sometimes. I just hope she knows that our hearts are in the right place.