Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

This story was discussed a long time ago. I don't remember if we ever came to a consensus about it, but I felt at the time that it was maybe only partially true. I took to heart the statement that it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I thought that it might be probable that Alizée was only aware of some of the double meanings. It might be the sister's own opinion that Alizée's old music was crap, and not necessarily Alizée's opinion. And as far as the money goes, I'm not sure what to think. There may be some resentment there, but Mylene is entitled to her fair share.

The other thing is people say a lot of things in the heat of the moment. Now that some time has passed since Mylene and Alizée split, Alizée may look at it differently and feel much more at peace with the past. I guess I see nothing to be depressed about at this point. Everyone has moved on and they all seem relatively happy.

Edit: By the way, I think that mall is not too far from where Jeremy's parents live. It's quite possible Alizée would have shopped there when they were visiting his family.

Last edited by lefty12357; 03-29-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
"...Alizée is mad at Mylène for several reasons.
The first one is this story of the double meanings in the songs. Yeah, it seems unbelievable, but Alizée didn't really fully understand what she was singing "je donne ma langue aux chats", "des défilés de doigts", "j'ai dans la gorge une épine". And when Jérémy made her see it (ie how some ofthe songs had a hidden sexual meaning), she didn't like it at all. "
Alizée suddenly aware of double meaning in her songs? I could buy it for the year 2000 , but how could it be true for the year 2003 ? I mean, she was not so naive anymore, if she ever was...

What can we think about this statement in a very early ( 2000) corsican intw :

She clearly aware about about some double meaning in her songs...( but she appears not so comfortable with it).

Last edited by Bigdan; 03-30-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Surely Alizée was no France Gall concerning lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post
Alizée suddenly aware of double meaning in her songs? ...What can we think about this statement in a very early ( 2000) corsican intw... She clearly aware about about some double meaning in her songs...
Thanks, Bigdan. That was the interview I remembered when I made my claim above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
[quoting a source]...Alizée is mad at Mylène for several reasons. The first one is this story of the double meanings in the songs. Yeah, it seems unbelievable, but Alizée didn't really fully understand what she was singing "je donne ma langue aux chats", "des défilés de doigts", "j'ai dans la gorge une épine". And when Jérémy made her see it (ie how some ofthe songs had a hidden sexual meaning), she didn't like it at all.
Yes, unbelievable is right. Remember, Papa Jo liked Madonna and Alizée listened to her as a little girl. By 1992, the year Alizée turns 8, on Madonna's Erotica album we have a rather explicit song (track 5) about cunnilingus, Where Life Begins. (Worldwide album sales exceed 5 million by now.)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYJSx6n8VoA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am about three years older than Papa Jo, and in our day there were NO such songs played anywhere. To sing about masturbation, cunnilingus or even simply heterosexual partner sex you had to be enormously cunning and "plausibly deniable." (See my recent lengthy and informative history at Are people who believe in Gainsbourg's priority suckers?)

But EVEN in those times, we STILL managed to received sex education in the schoolyard when the classroom or family den failed as instruction venues. I can reliably report that I was no older than 12 years old (I cannot say how much younger) when I learned about oral sex from an explanation of the joke about Little Red Riding Hood (and her loup!) detailed here. Maybe France Gall did not understand the possible meaning of Les sucettes (BTW, where was her songwriter father?) But I cannot believe a child raised in Alizée's time by Alizée's father was more naive than I was as a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
...I think that mall is not too far from where Jeremy's parents live. It's quite possible Alizée would have shopped there when they were visiting his family.
As far as I know, Jérémy's mom passed away (from cancer?) shortly before he met Alizée. So she isn't living anywhere now.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

It's like I said before, we'll probably never know the whole story or like Paul Harvey used to stay "The rest of the story", so all we can do is look through what is presented to us in thesee forums and decide for ourselves what is probably true.

I believe as far as the split up, of course there are a few people who think MF and LB wanted the split up but I think the majority feel it was Alizee's decision and if this was the case, I'm sure there were some ruffled feathers. They invested a lot of time and money in her and made her an international superstar (at the same time making plenty of money off of her) so they were probably let's say at the least disappointed with her when she left. But I don't believe there's any bad blood between them today.

As far as the money is concerned, MF and LB I'm sure took the lion's share of the profits, something they were probably entitled to, after all they were superstars in the music industry who worked hard to get where they were and they took someone who was unknown and very young and made her famous. So I'm sure they got most of the money, the question is, was there anything in her contract that stipulated if let's say one of her songs hit's #1 on the charts, or if an album went platinum she would get more money. Hopefully there were stipulations in there that said the better she did, the more she would get, incentive clauses I guess you would call them, but we'll apparently never know

So I believe they did take the lion's share which probably would have seemed fair in the beginning, but in the long run, Alizee brought so much to the table that it now seems very unfair.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 03-30-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Scruffydog777;201895
As far as the money is concerned, MF and LB I'm sure took the lion's share of the profits, something they were probably entitled to, after all they were superstars in the music industry who worked hard to get where they were and they took someone who was unknown and very young and made her famous. So I'm sure they got most of the money, the question is, was there anything in her contract that stipulated if let's say one of her songs hit's #1 on the charts, or if an album went platinum she would get more money. Hopefully there were stipulations in there that said the better she did, the more she would get, incentive clauses I guess you would call them, but we'll apparently never know

So I believe they did take the lion's share which probably would have seemed fair in the beginning, but in the long run, Alizee brought so much to the table that it now seems very unfair.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it works like that. Alizee probably made some money initially for signing the contract. After that, she made royalties, which can get pretty complicated. This site explains it rather well though.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Cool

From some of her early performances, her dance moves and dress appearances took our immediate attention...while her eyes seemed to convey a different meaning. That was, of course, from viewing her videos a number of times over that you see other details that make you go "hmmm?" I know it's reaching, but it kept me coming back to AAm and AF to understand more about her. Well done Corsaire.

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Early professional earnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I don't think it works like that. Alizee probably made some money initially for signing the contract. After that, she made royalties, which can get pretty complicated. This site explains it rather well though.
Radio play royalty schemes <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/business/media/08royalty.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print">vary</a> between countries, something HowStuffWorks does not make clear, even if what it may write is true somewhere.

At the start of the relationship with MF, Alizée was unproven in the MARKET, and so she (including her parents <i>et alia</i>) would have sensibly agreed to modest wages for the chance to enjoy extensive national exposure and also put "worked with MF" on Alizée's resume. Now, there were two major sources of income during the partnership: recording sales and shows. In the United States, if you employ someone under a labor contract, the courts cannot order "specific performance" because of the 13th Amendment; the best they can do is bar a worker unwilling to work from doing similar work for another party during the tenure of the contract. If a similar regimen operated in France, Alizée always retained the bargaining power to renegotiate concert earnings based on her proven appeal in the marketplace. Therefore, I expect that at first anyway, Alizée made little from her recording work and a lot from her concert work.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 PM

SaintÀlizee is on a distinguished road

FanDeAliFee, how do you find the time to write these articles? haha
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanDeAliFee View Post
Radio play royalty schemes <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/business/media/08royalty.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print">vary</a> between countries, something HowStuffWorks does not make clear, even if what it may write is true somewhere.

At the start of the relationship with MF, Alizée was unproven in the MARKET, and so she (including her parents <i>et alia</i>) would have sensibly agreed to modest wages for the chance to enjoy extensive national exposure and also put "worked with MF" on Alizée's resume. Now, there were two major sources of income during the partnership: recording sales and shows. In the United States, if you employ someone under a labor contract, the courts cannot order "specific performance" because of the 13th Amendment; the best they can do is bar a worker unwilling to work from doing similar work for another party during the tenure of the contract. If a similar regimen operated in France, Alizée always retained the bargaining power to renegotiate concert earnings based on her proven appeal in the marketplace. Therefore, I expect that at first anyway, Alizée made little from her recording work and a lot from her concert work.
Yeah, no s#%! it varies. It's just explaining how most companies and contracts work. There's no point in trying to negate my explanation by explaining it STILL, in terms of how it works in America. Why don't you try looking up how it works in France and maybe your point will look valid.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Other than a few exceptions, the artist does not receive royalties from airplay as was stated in the article mentioned. Those royalties are typically split 50/50 between the songwriter and the publishing company. That’s why many successful songwriters set up their own publishing companies to get the full share. Typically, the artist gets a percentage of sales of the actual CDs, but all costs are recouped by the record company from the artist’s share, until those costs are paid off. The recouping aspect is not very fair, in my opinion. Sometimes the percentage goes up a little bit over time.

Typically a deal is made for options on a certain number of albums over a certain amount of time. The company decides whether to exercise those options, and they can tie you up from working with anyone else during the duration of the contract, or they can choose to release you from the contract.

This is more or less what an “industry standard” contract would be like, but a knowledgeable member here assured me a while back that Alizée’s MF/LB era contract was not “standard”. Your guess is as good as mine as to what was in that contract. Regardless, her last two album deals were not standard, but again, we have few details about them either.

Bottom line, one would expect that Alizée’s main income came from a share of CD sales, concerts and various other performances and appearances.

Here is a better description than mine of typical recording contracts.