Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

I was trying to come up with singers at a similar crossroad in their music career at some time (which is practically all of them), and I came up with Kylie Minogue. You could say Britney Spears parallels Alizee more closely with the abrupt marriage and child at the peak of their careers, but Britney is a train wreck without Alizee's talent or beauty, so I'll leave her out of it. Anyway, here's some excerpts from Kylie's Wiki page which I felt Alizee could use for inspiration considering Kylie reinvented herself from 80s one-hit wonder to international star in her late 30s. I butchered the page, so passages may not flow from one to the next.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylie_Minogue

Initially presented as a "girl next door", Minogue attempted to convey a more mature style in her music and public image. Her singles were well received, but after four albums her record sales were declining, and she left Stock, Aitken & Waterman in 1992 to establish herself as an independent performer. Minogue had fulfilled the requirements of her contract and elected not to renew it. She later expressed her opinion that she was stifled by Stock, Aitken and Waterman, and said, "I was very much a puppet in the beginning. I was blinkered by my record company. I was unable to look left or right."

Rhythm of Love (1990) presented a more sophisticated and adult style of dance music and also marked the first signs of Minogue's rebellion against her production team and the "girl-next-door" image. Her music videos showed a more sexually provocative and flirtatious personality and several hit singles followed.

She credited Cave with giving her the confidence to express herself artistically, saying: "He taught me to never veer too far from who I am, but to go further, try different things, and never lose sight of myself at the core. For me, the hard part was unleashing the core of myself and being totally truthful in my music."

By 1997, Minogue was in a relationship with the French photographer Stéphane Sednaoui, who encouraged her to develop her creativity. Minogue countered suggestions that she was trying to become an indie artist. She told Music Week, "I have to keep telling people that this isn't an indie-guitar album. I'm not about to pick up a guitar and rock." Acknowledging that she had attempted to escape the perceptions of her that had developed during her early career, Minogue commented that she was ready to "forget the painful criticism" and "accept the past, embrace it, use it".

In the UK, Music Week gave a negative assessment, commenting that "Kylie's vocals take on a stroppy edge ... but not strong enough to do much". Retitled Kylie Minogue in the UK following the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, it became the lowest-selling album of her career. At the end of the year a campaign by Virgin Radio stated, "We've done something to improve Kylie's records: we've banned them." A poll conducted by Smash Hits voted her the "worst-dressed person, worst singer and second-most very horrible thing — after spiders".

She signed with Parlophone Records in April 1999. According to Miles Leonard, her new A&R at Parlophone, it was the label and not Minogue that was responsible for her career downturn, believing that her talent hadn't been tapped into by Decontruction. Leonard later told HitQuarters: "I believed that she was still very strong vocally, and still definitely a star ... and I knew that with the right project, the right songwriters, the right producers, the right team, she would still have a fanbase out there." Parlophone wanted to reestablish Minogue as the pop artist they felt she essentially was, but that had been lost. Leonard said: "But I didn't want to make a throwaway pop record, I wanted it to have an edge and some depth."

Following the tour she was asked by a Seattle Post-Intelligencer journalist what she thought was her greatest strength, and replied, "That I am an all-rounder. If I was to choose any one element of what I do, I don't know if I would excel at any one of them. But put all of them together, and I know what I'm doing."

Minogue's efforts to be taken seriously as a recording artist were initially hindered by the perception that she had not "paid her dues" and was no more than a manufactured pop star exploiting the image she had created during her stint on Neighbours. Minogue acknowledged this viewpoint, saying, "If you're part of a record company, I think to a degree it's fair to say that you're a manufactured product. You're a product and you're selling a product. It doesn't mean that you're not talented and that you don't make creative and business decisions about what you will and won't do and where you want to go."

By 2000, when Minogue returned to prominence, she was considered to be have achieved a degree of musical credibility for having maintained her career longer than her critics had expected. That same year, Birmingham Post noted “Once upon a time, long before anybody had even heard of Britney, Christina, Jessica or Mandy, Australian singer Kylie Minogue ruled the charts as princess of pop."

Her progression from the wholesome "girl next door" to a more sophisticated performer with a flirtatious and playful persona attracted new fans to her. Her "Spinning Around" video led to some media outlets referring to her as "SexKylie", and sex became a stronger element in her subsequent videos. William Baker described her status as a sex symbol as a "double edged sword" observing that "we always attempted to use her sex appeal as an enhancement of her music and to sell a record. But now it has become in danger of eclipsing what she actually is: a pop singer."

In March 2010, Minogue was declared by researchers as the "most powerful celebrity in Britain". The study examined how marketers identify celebrity and brand partnerships. Mark Husak, head of Millward Brown's UK media practice, said: "Kylie is widely accepted as an adopted Brit. People know her, like her and she is surrounded by positive buzz".
Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
I can't say if she is apologizing or not but I think it's obvious to say she definitely is regretting the break up! She went from huge Euro-sensation to "struggling" to make on her own since the break up.
There is a lot more to this situation than just that.

Alizée went from desirable single hottie to married, pregnant house wife in twelve months. Then on top of that she crawled under a rock and hid for more than four years between albums. Four years out of the spot light is an eternity in the music world.

Separating from Mylene and Laurent was only one of a several decisions by Alizée that has caused her career to crater.

1. Marriage at 19 years of age.
2. Separating from Mylene and Laurent
3. Having a daughter at 20 years of age.
4. Taking herself out of the public eye and
holding off on a new album for four years.
5. Doing a questionable and limited audience
concept album when your career hasn't
started turning around.

All of the above has put a real dent in her career as we speak.

Even though it may not be a factor with her real diehard fans but getting married and having a child by twenty cost her a number of fans. Personally their loss for being so shallow. That is the problem of being portrayed as the Lolita or the sexy girl dancing to J én ai marri. There was this manufactured image the fans had of her, then all of a sudden there is this young woman that is just like their mom.

Had she been able to put out a decent album in 2005 early 2006 it may have been a little easier to pick up the pieces. By waiting to late 2007 to put out an OK album she dug herself a pretty deep hole to get out of.

I think she may have come to the conclusion that there are only a handful of really great song writers. The writers she and Jeremy have surrounded themselves with are not even close to being in the same league as Myléne and Laurent.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM

mzracing76 is on a distinguished road

this is a weak argument, singers/artists take time off all the time, they change their music genre's all the time. You either like Alizee or you dont in my book. Fans who jump ship because of a few decisions by the singer/artist is what I call a "fairweather" fan of sorts.

I dont hear any of these arguments when it comes to Taylor Swift. she takes time off between albums as well. granted she does do some live performances each year.

Alizee has a 6 year old daughter to take care of, and a husband that also has a career.

Her music speaks for itself as well as for her. Everyone knows she can sing, her career is not dead. time off is just a weak argument, sorry.

I give her more respect even, for wanting to raise a family instead of touring.

MZ

Last edited by mzracing76; 09-12-2011 at 07:17 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
There is a lot more to this situation than just that.

Alizée went from desirable single hottie to married, pregnant house wife in twelve months. Then on top of that she crawled under a rock and hid for more than four years between albums. Four years out of the spot light is an eternity in the music world.

Separating from Mylene and Laurent was only one of a several decisions by Alizée that has caused her career to crater.

1. Marriage at 19 years of age.
2. Separating from Mylene and Laurent
3. Having a daughter at 20 years of age.
4. Taking herself out of the public eye and
holding off on a new album for four years.
5. Doing a questionable and limited audience
concept album when your career hasn't
started turning around.

All of the above has put a real dent in her career as we speak.

Even though it may not be a factor with her real diehard fans but getting married and having a child by twenty cost her a number of fans. Personally their loss for being so shallow. That is the problem of being portrayed as the Lolita or the sexy girl dancing to J én ai marri. There was this manufactured image the fans had of her, then all of a sudden there is this young woman that is just like their mom.

Had she been able to put out a decent album in 2005 early 2006 it may have been a little easier to pick up the pieces. By waiting to late 2007 to put out an OK album she dug herself a pretty deep hole to get out of.

I think she may have come to the conclusion that there are only a handful of really great song writers. The writers she and Jeremy have surrounded themselves with are not even close to being in the same league as Myléne and Laurent.
Well said! I agree; everything you said is a factor though in my opinion splitting with Mylene was the biggest!

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 09-12-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzracing76 View Post
this is a weak argument, singers/artists take time off all the time, they change their music genre's all the time. You either like Alizee or you dont in my book. Fans who jump ship because of a few decisions by the singer/artist is what I call a "fairweather" fan of sorts.

I dont hear any of these arguments when it comes to Taylor Swift. she takes time off between albums as well. granted she does do some live performances each year.

Alizee has a 6 year old daughter to take care of, and a husband that also has a career.

Her music speaks for itself as well as for her. Everyone knows she can sing, her career is not dead. time off is just a weak argument, sorry.

I give her more respect even, for wanting to raise a family instead of touring.

MZ
Ditto!

The thing is.. every artist has there classic albums and every artist has there so called flops. Well nonetheless I'm sure each one is special to the fans.

I for one believe Alizée's next album will be phenomenal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I understand.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into her posting that song. Don't quote me on it, but I remember seeing or reading an interview where she said that's her favorite Mylene song.
Sure but I always thought Désenchantée was her favourite Mylene clip.. well that's what she said back in 2003 in the M6 48 heures video.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
Ditto!

The thing is.. every artist has there classic albums and every artist has there so called flops. Well nonetheless I'm sure each one is special to the fans.

I for one believe Alizée's next album will be phenomenal!!!

Sure but I always thought Désenchantée was her favourite Mylene clip.. well that's what she said back in 2003 in the M6 48 heures video.
That may be true but look at it like this
The two albums with Mylene and then include En Concert were ALL VERY successful, that's a 100% success rate in everything Mylene touched! Thats a very good statistic in Mylene's favor. Conversely Alizee made 2 albums, one being not so successful and the other being an almost complete failure .... this statistic just doesn't compare to the one I mentioned before. I think the argument I present is definitely not a weak one and without out a doubt holds air! We can only hope her next album will be good, time will only tell.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
I think the argument I present is definitely not a weak one and without out a doubt holds air!
Yeah off-course.. there's been good points made from both sides.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzracing76 View Post

I don't hear any of these arguments when it comes to Taylor Swift. she takes time off between albums as well. granted she does do some live performances each year.
MZ
Take another look at Taylor Swift's bio and this so called time off.

There probably a few good examples of your point but Taylor Swift isn't it.

BTW she is only 21 years of age.

Taylor_Swift_Wiki_Link

Albums 2006, 2008, 2010 and the next one is supposedly coming out in 2012.

Tours 2009-2010 and 2011-2012

Future Raptor Ace: Of the problem, I figure 30% was from the split, 30% was from taking four years off, 30% was from poor song writing, and 10% from getting married.

Last edited by ALS; 09-12-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
... Also, I wouldn't read too much into her posting that song....

I agree. However, at the same time, it would not surprise me if she has realized over time that some of her reasons for leaving may not have been as sound as she thought at the time. If so then mentioning this song would be a nice way to say "you were right," at least about some aspect of the separation.

She is doing a decent job these days of making good choices and building her own image, through L.E. and her recent public appearances, and so she may well be on the dawn of a true re-emergence. A great new album would launch her fully, but, even without it, she may continue to catch on as a desired performer.

Also, I think she is becoming someone who can pull other performers together. if I am correct about this, then avenues are likely to open up for her that are not yet fully visible to us.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 PM

para.izée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
Future Raptor Ace: Of the problem, I figure 30% was from the split, 30% was from taking four years off, 30% was from poor song writing, and 10% from getting married.

I know it was directed at FRA but....

ALS: I look at your signature and wonder to myself: " If I had only half of all that "insanity happening" in your signature's .gif wanting anything to do with me, and I having unfettered access to all of "IT." How long would it take you to grow tired of it?"
If your answers are less of 20 years. Men: you're better than me.

Hell, I'm surprised she came back at all.

btw, every time I view AAm at the public library I have to hide your signature when going through your posts.
ps. not a complaint. If 'somebody' comes looking at this post tell her I'm not here
Yeah, that thread You started a couple of days ago... "It's all in your head." DrKiki. ... AAm loves Alizée! AAm loves Alizée! AAm loves Alizée! AAm loves Alizée! AAm loves Alizée! AAm loves Alizée! No attention seeking here. Move along!