Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-14-2006, 03:15 AM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Well there is truth to that in that French in Québec was standardized to the King's French back in the 1600's, but after the revolution in France they did away with the King and his French, long before France started to standardize French in France in the 20th century. So that is why a lot of pronouciations and expressions survived in Québec but not in France. But technically the King's French used was a very early modern French, and not Old French, which is very archaic like Old English.

But the Acadians, who never had their French standardized, have an even more archaic pronounciations and syntax than they do in Québec, so much so that I hardly understand them at all (the most pronounced Acadian accents have survived in the lower half of the province, here in the north we are mostly influenced by Québec's pronounciations. But I learned my French in school which was mostly based on Metropolitan French grammar and pronounciation, which is why I am now trying to research and learn the differences between québecois and Metropolitan French).

EDIT: Wiki page on Acadian French
Notice all the words like: mécordi : Wednesday (Fr: mercredi) or ouâille: yeah (Fr: ouais) and icitte: here (Fr: ici). And one I like to use: chavirer: to go crazy (Fr: devenir fou, folle).

Last edited by Twitch; 12-14-2006 at 03:36 AM..
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
Jean-Christian Thibodeau

And others:
Louis-José Houde
Réal Beland
JMP
and well this guy... brigadier
Now that's the accent I've heard sometimes and I can tell you that I harldy understand half of what they're saying in those skits! I could understand English almost better than that!
That's funny how different all those Québécois accents can be, I mean if I compare those with the slighter ones that I can fully understand
And when I think about the Text to speech link that includes a French speaking Canadian, why did they choose someone who is 100% understandable by a French person? (just a slight accent). Is there some sort of "standard" pronunciation?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
You actually read these?

HibyPrime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Now that's the accent I've heard sometimes and I can tell you that I harldy understand half of what they're saying in those skits! I could understand English almost better than that!
That's funny how different all those Québécois accents can be, I mean if I compare those with the slighter ones that I can fully understand
And when I think about the Text to speech link that includes a French speaking Canadian, why did they choose someone who is 100% understandable by a French person? (just a slight accent). Is there some sort of "standard" pronunciation?
It probably has more to do with the speed they are speaking at. The text to speech guy speaks really slowly, while the people in these skits speak really fast..

I know that if I listen to someone with a very thick foreign accent they would have to speak slowly for me to understand clearly.. I'm not sure if it's the same thing you are seeing/hearing.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Well that is part of it but they do have strong accents, even Perhonorificus, a Québecois, claimed that their accents were stronger/different than his (well at least Jean-Christian Thibodeau). And as to standardization I know each part of the Province has its regional variations like everywhere else, but I don't know if there is a standard for pronounciation.

What I was taught in school in New Brunswick was based mostly on Metropolitan pronounciation, so much so that one of my French teachers explained why we had a hard time understanding some of the local French people by showing us some of the differences. And how words like Pantoute, was a shortened version of Pas-en-toute (Fr: Pas du tout), and the shortened versions with the missing syllables are really hard to understand if you don't actually know them.

For a short while Québec I believe had been 'officially' following France's example in pronounciation and grammar but they have since decided to preserve the unique qualities of québecois, which most people in Québec were still using regardless of any 'official' regulations. Most québecois are proud of the way they speak and are not interested in changing it, about the only thing I heard them want to do is try and remove the anglicizations that have occured over the years.

Last edited by Twitch; 12-14-2006 at 01:39 PM..
Old 12-14-2006, 04:57 PM

Québecois is on a distinguished road

I'm new and I'm Québecois so if you have question or anything else just ask me and i'll try to answer

Last edited by Québecois; 12-14-2006 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 12-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Kebab is on a distinguished road

O_O

I was planning to go to Quebec sometime in the summer to practice my french but I never knew that France and Quebecians had different speech. Tres interessante.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Azereus is on a distinguished road

I live in Toronto so was the french that I was taught in highschool the french which people from France speak or Quebecois french?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:24 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Québecois View Post
I'm new and I'm Québecois so if you have question or anything else just ask me and i'll try to answer
Welcome Québécois! Too bad I can't hear your accent by reading your text . Ahem, maybe you should speak French for that though
So is English only a second language for you too?

Last edited by aFrenchie; 12-15-2006 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Welcome Québécois! Too bad I can't hear your accent by reading your text . Ahem, maybe you should speak French for that though
So is English only a second language for you too?

Yes English is a second language for me
Old 12-15-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
I live in Toronto so was the french that I was taught in highschool the french which people from France speak or Quebecois french?

You probably learn the France french