If "Pro" is the opposite of "Con," is "Progress" the opposite of "Congress?"
Yes........

Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
Yes........
Good answer.

I've got a somewhat serious question for any military personnel/vets out there. I'm going to enlist in the near future and want to get some background info on the Army and Marines, like what was basic training like, tips for surviving it, any skills that help, PT info, that kind of stuff.

I'm kinda torn at the moment as I have some friends that are going to join the Marines, but as a kid, I've always wanted to specifically join the Army.

So, any advice?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
Good answer.

I've got a somewhat serious question for any military personnel/vets out there. I'm going to enlist in the near future and want to get some background info on the Army and Marines, like what was basic training like, tips for surviving it, any skills that help, PT info, that kind of stuff.

I'm kinda torn at the moment as I have some friends that are going to join the Marines, but as a kid, I've always wanted to specifically join the Army.

So, any advice?
I never enlisted but I was in MCROTC and was very close to. I also have many friends that joined the Marines. My tip for you through them and some of my own experiences is to work your ass off and never break down or give up; they hate that! Have you been practicing for your PFT? If so you know what it is, the basic 3 mile run, pull ups, and crunches. Master these and you should also be fine at boot camp! Also do you already know how to drill (both armed and unarmed)? Because if you do it will give you a huge head start at boot camp and even a possible squad leader position. If you have any specific questions you want to ask, I can ask them for you.
Best of luck to you buddy.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Well it really depends on why you want to join the military. Do you wish to make a career out of it or serve for a while then land a civilian job? Most importantly, have you considered commissioning rather than just enlisting?

I would heavily suggest the Army, nothing against the other branches, but the fact is the Army is the largest of the military branches, and has the most job specialties. When I was in high school, I was all hoorah about joining the Marines, but after doing some research, I found that the Army has the greatest job opportunities that leads to a successful civilian career.

The APFT(Army Physical Fitness Test) consists of 3 parts. A 2 mile run, 2 minutes of push ups, and 2 minutes of situps. The requirements vary slightly depending on your age. You can check it out here: http://www.apft-standards.com/

I also suggest getting used to the water. We took the CWST(Combat Water Survival Test) every year, and if you're uncomfortable in the water, you won't pass the test. It involves:
-Walking off a diving tower while blind into the pool while holding your weapon
-Getting shoved into the pool while wearing a LBV(Load Bearing Vest) and carrying your weapon. You're expected to ditch your gear before you resurface.
-Swimming across the pool while keeping your weapon out of the water
-Treading water for about 20 minutes.

I was a cadet in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps, I would be commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant come this May.. but I've decided to put the Army on hold so I could focus all my time and energy on getting into vet school.

If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me.

Last edited by wasabi622; 01-08-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 11:09 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

@Sabi and FRA:

Would I get rejected by the military for medical conditions? Specifically acid reflux and acute insanity?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
@Sabi and FRA:

Would I get rejected by the military for medical conditions? Specifically acid reflux and acute insanity?
Acid reflux .. no.... acute insanity ... that is almost preferred!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
@Sabi and FRA:

HA. There was a guy in the battalion 2 years ago that I swear was a coke head. Don't know what happened to him, but he was around for a while.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
Well it really depends on why you want to join the military. Do you wish to make a career out of it or serve for a while then land a civilian job? Most importantly, have you considered commissioning rather than just enlisting?

I would heavily suggest the Army, nothing against the other branches, but the fact is the Army is the largest of the military branches, and has the most job specialties. When I was in high school, I was all hoorah about joining the Marines, but after doing some research, I found that the Army has the greatest job opportunities that leads to a successful civilian career.

The APFT(Army Physical Fitness Test) consists of 3 parts. A 2 mile run, 2 minutes of push ups, and 2 minutes of situps. The requirements vary slightly depending on your age. You can check it out here: http://www.apft-standards.com/

I also suggest getting used to the water. We took the CWST(Combat Water Survival Test) every year, and if you're uncomfortable in the water, you won't pass the test. It involves:
-Walking off a diving tower while blind into the pool while holding your weapon
-Getting shoved into the pool while wearing a LBV(Load Bearing Vest) and carrying your weapon. You're expected to ditch your gear before you resurface.
-Swimming across the pool while keeping your weapon out of the water
-Treading water for about 20 minutes.

I was a cadet in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps, I would be commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant come this May.. but I've decided to put the Army on hold so I could focus all my time and energy on getting into vet school.

If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me.
Hehe yea, Marines claim that they get less opportunities becuase they are more badass than other branches but the truth is Marines dont get handed what the other branches do becuase they are a smaller more specialized branch.

Edit:

Quote:
@Sabi and FRA:

Well it all depends on who is your recruiter and when you join and I can't emphasize that enough. As we get closer and closer to peace time and the dust settles in the middles east the need more military personal will decline drastically. This has a direct effect on what is allowed and what is not; it is always harder to enlist during peace time than during war time. Furthermore, I dont want to get too much into politics but I feel it is imporatant and related to the subject matter ... as you might know President Obama is cutting down the size of our military to cut down spending and use it elsewhere. The point being, if you want to join you best do it soon otherwise it will be that much harder if you wait.
As for your medical conditions specifically ... im sorry but they will definitely limit your chances with anything in the military but that all depends on what you want to do. Obviously (and once again im sorry) you will never be accepted for anything like sniper school but there is a chance you can be accepted for MP or something more technical and less related to infantry. Now im not saying you wont make infantry ... there are always waivers that can be applied for, but you will most likely have to file for them and this is something you have to discuss with your recruiter. Like take me for example; I wear glasses and dont have 20/20 which technically disqualifies me from being a fighter pilot but however my vision is correctable to 20/20 which allows me to apply for a waiver to get surgery. The problem is this puts you at an extreme disadvantage against other potential candidates. Also this all depends highly on how severe your acid reflux symptoms are. Remember to get everything your recruiter says in writing becuase they will FUCK you if you dont. They sometimes tell you anything you want to hear and then when you find out they BSed you it is too late to do anything about it. As for your acute insanity, im not really sure what that is. My advice to you is if your mental condition is not obvious and you think a physiologist when evaluating you wont find out, then dont tell them about it ... though it is probably on your medical history right? They are VERY VERY VERY strict on mental conditions, the problem is half the time they dont find it unless the person tells them Also take my advice with caution, if you know you are not the person who should be put under high stress situations that is synonymous with war than perhaps the military is not for you.
Finally my last piece of advice for you is pick your branch wisely. Branches like the Air Force (if not applying for pilot since only 1% of the Air Force actually flies) and Coast Guard are more relaxed on restrictions.
Best of luck Jalen, pm me if you have anymore questions.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 01-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 AM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
Well it really depends on why you want to join the military. Do you wish to make a career out of it or serve for a while then land a civilian job?
I agree with Wasabi here. If you're looking for a good civilian job after that, then I'd recommend the Navy. You'll get a very good training, especially on electronics. You'll learn the entire system and not just one specific equipment.

Or, if you want to play with guns (and I know you do) then you can join the Navy SEALs and hunt the next Bin Laden!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post

Well it all depends on who is your recruiter and when you join and I can't emphasize that enough. As we get closer and closer to peace time and the dust settles in the middles east the need more military personal will decline drastically. This has a direct effect on what is allowed and what is not; it is always harder to enlist during peace time than during war time. Furthermore, I dont want to get too much into politics but I feel it is imporatant and related to the subject matter ... as you might know President Obama is cutting down the size of our military to cut down spending and use it elsewhere. The point being, if you want to join you best do it soon otherwise it will be that much harder if you wait.
As for your medical conditions specifically ... im sorry but they will definitely limit your chances with anything in the military but that all depends on what you want to do. Obviously (and once again im sorry) you will never be accepted for anything like sniper school but there is a chance you can be accepted for MP or something more technical and less related to infantry. Now im not saying you wont make infantry ... there are always waivers that can be applied for, but you will most likely have to file for them and this is something you have to discuss with your recruiter. Like take me for example; I wear glasses and dont have 20/20 which technically disqualifies me from being a fighter pilot but however my vision is correctable to 20/20 which allows me to apply for a waiver to get surgery. The problem is this puts you at an extreme disadvantage against other potential candidates. Also this all depends highly on how severe your acid reflux symptoms are. Remember to get everything your recruiter says in writing becuase they will FUCK you if you dont. They sometimes tell you anything you want to hear and then when you find out they BSed you it is too late to do anything about it. As for your acute insanity, im not really sure what that is. My advice to you is if your mental condition is not obvious and you think a physiologist when evaluating you wont find out, then dont tell them about it ... though it is probably on your medical history right? They are VERY VERY VERY strict on mental conditions, the problem is half the time they dont find it unless the person tells them Also take my advice with caution, if you know you are not the person who should be put under high stress situations that is synonymous with war than perhaps the military is not for you.
Finally my last piece of advice for you is pick your branch wisely. Branches like the Air Force (if not applying for pilot since only 1% of the Air Force actually flies) and Coast Guard are more relaxed on restrictions.
Best of luck Jalen, pm me if you have anymore questions.

MP is one of the harder MOSs to get in to. Nearly all of the MPs that I've known only got in after serving a tour in a regular infantry unit first.