Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
MP is one of the harder MOSs to get in to. Nearly all of the MPs that I've known only got in after serving a tour in a regular infantry unit first.
Oh really? I think Air Force MP and Marine MP might be easier then......
The again not sure if acid reflex would be good for MP either. They have long hours on post.
Heheh i still remember my 4th and 11th general orders which where MP related.
4th
To repeat and obey all calls more distant than the guardhouse than of my own
1th
To be especially watchful at night and during the times for challenging and to challenge all personal on or near my post and to allow no one to pass with out proper authority
SIR!!!!!!!!!!
Ahh to believe its been 4 years, where has the time gone!

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 01-09-2012 at 01:34 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well it really depends on why you want to join the military. Do you wish to make a career out of it or serve for a while then land a civilian job? Most importantly, have you considered commissioning rather than just enlisting?
I would like to make it a career, but I don't want to jump to any major conclusions just yet. I have considered commissioning, but I decided against it. I don't want to be an officer of any kind.

Quote:
I would heavily suggest the Army, nothing against the other branches, but the fact is the Army is the largest of the military branches, and has the most job specialties. When I was in high school, I was all hoorah about joining the Marines, but after doing some research, I found that the Army has the greatest job opportunities that leads to a successful civilian career.
That was another hesitation I had about the Marines. That and the fact that they are the lowest paid of the branches.

Quote:
The APFT(Army Physical Fitness Test) consists of 3 parts. A 2 mile run, 2 minutes of push ups, and 2 minutes of situps. The requirements vary slightly depending on your age. You can check it out here: http://www.apft-standards.com/
Thank you for this. I needed some guidelines for the PT.

Quote:
I also suggest getting used to the water. We took the CWST(Combat Water Survival Test) every year, and if you're uncomfortable in the water, you won't pass the test. It involves:
-Walking off a diving tower while blind into the pool while holding your weapon
-Getting shoved into the pool while wearing a LBV(Load Bearing Vest) and carrying your weapon. You're expected to ditch your gear before you resurface.
-Swimming across the pool while keeping your weapon out of the water
-Treading water for about 20 minutes.
Ughhh. This is going to take some work. I'm not a great swimmer, average to mediocre at best, so this info will definitely help me prepare.

Quote:
I was a cadet in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps, I would be commissioning as a 2nd Lieutenant come this May.. but I've decided to put the Army on hold so I could focus all my time and energy on getting into vet school.

If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Hehe yea, Marines claim that they get less opportunities becuase they are more badass than other branches but the truth is Marines dont get handed what the other branches do becuase they are a smaller more specialized branch.
That was one of the reasons why I considered the Marines in the first place.

Quote:
Well it all depends on who is your recruiter and when you join and I can't emphasize that enough. As we get closer and closer to peace time and the dust settles in the middles east the need more military personal will decline drastically. This has a direct effect on what is allowed and what is not; it is always harder to enlist during peace time than during war time. Furthermore, I dont want to get too much into politics but I feel it is imporatant and related to the subject matter ... as you might know President Obama is cutting down the size of our military to cut down spending and use it elsewhere. The point being, if you want to join you best do it soon otherwise it will be that much harder if you wait.
That is why I'm trying to kick start myself into seriously getting ready for this. I wanted to go back in high school, but there was no way I would have made it (let's just say growing up... I had to wear... husky sized pants... But no more as I am in much better shape now than before.) When I go to boot camp, I would like to be ahead of the game as much as possible.

Quote:
As for your medical conditions specifically ... im sorry but they will definitely limit your chances with anything in the military but that all depends on what you want to do.
Are there any specific medical conditions that totally bar you from the military? I don't think I have any, but just so I know (in case someone else asks me.)

Thanks to both of you. I much rather prefer going into something not totally clueless and this has been a tremendous help. I've still got some things to take care of at home, so it's not happening in the coming weeks, but rather months (I want to convince my parents (mom) to let me go, as I don't want to leave without their blessing (even though I could), because we are too close not to).

(Sorry for the monster post).
Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oh really? I think Air Force MP and Marine MP might be easier then......
The again not sure if acid reflex would be good for MP either. They have long hours on post.
Heheh i still remember my 4th and 11th general orders which where MP related.
4th
To repeat and obey all calls more distant than the guardhouse than of my own
1th
To be especially watchful at night and during the times for challenging and to challenge all personal on or near my post and to allow no one to pass with out proper authority
SIR!!!!!!!!!!
Ahh to believe its been 4 years, where has the time gone!
Damn, you guys in JROTC did things we didn't even touch on.

We vaguely went over like the first 4 general orders(which I promptly forgot). Hell, I don't even know how many general orders there are. I'm lucky to have memorized the Soldier's creed. Seriously, during general inspection, I was terrified that they were going to ask me to recite the general orders. Thankfully they just made me sing the Army Song.

The practical things we did were PT, various STX(Squad Training Exercises) MOUT(Military Operation in Urban Terrain), grenade throwing, FLRC, marksmanship, repelling, and marching. They made us memorize things like the 9 Line MEDEVAC, which I thought was stupid since we all carried a card that had it written out, call for fires, adjust fires, SITREP, SALUTE, LACE reports, land nav, and so on. Oh, and they drilled us to death with OPORDS. God damn I hate OPORDS..

Last edited by wasabi622; 01-09-2012 at 01:45 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake04 View Post
Or, if you want to play with guns (and I know you do) then you can join the Navy SEALs and hunt the next Bin Laden!
What gave it away?

I briefly considered the navy, but I'd rather stay on land as much as possible.

And as for SEALs, those guys are freakin' hardcore. I don't know if I could make it after reading about their acceptance courses. Although it has been a childhood dream to be a Ranger. And more recently Delta.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
What gave it away?

I briefly considered the navy, but I'd rather stay on land as much as possible.

And as for SEALs, those guys are freakin' hardcore. I don't know if I could make it after reading about their acceptance courses. Although it has been a childhood dream to be a Ranger. And more recently Delta.
Ranger all the way bro.

Rangers, lead the way. ALWAYS.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Ranger all the way bro.

Rangers, lead the way. ALWAYS.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qQwoQo4KvbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
I would like to make it a career, but I don't want to jump to any major conclusions just yet. I have considered commissioning, but I decided against it. I don't want to be an officer of any kind.

That was another hesitation I had about the Marines. That and the fact that they are the lowest paid of the branches.

Ughhh. This is going to take some work. I'm not a great swimmer, average to mediocre at best, so this info will definitely help me prepare.

That is why I'm trying to kick start myself into seriously getting ready for this. I wanted to go back in high school, but there was no way I would have made it (let's just say growing up... I had to wear... husky sized pants... But no more as I am in much better shape now than before.) When I go to boot camp, I would like to be ahead of the game as much as possible.

Are there any specific medical conditions that totally bar you from the military? I don't think I have any, but just so I know (in case someone else asks me.)

Thanks to both of you. I much rather prefer going into something not totally clueless and this has been a tremendous help. I've still got some things to take care of at home, so it's not happening in the coming weeks, but rather months (I want to convince my parents (mom) to let me go, as I don't want to leave without their blessing (even though I could), because we are too close not to).

Heheh you sound like a Devil Dog to me Hoorah!!! True story ... my friends from the Corps told me that Air Force personal needed to used their barracks but when they got there considered it on "unlivable" on Air Force standards so they rented hotels Hehe I love the Chair Force! As for swimming, you will learn dont worry ... they will make you learn Marine style! Medical conditions that totally bar you .... lets put it like this, any medical condition is a negative check mark against you but there are waivers for everything these days though they are hard to get approved at times.
Oh god the mom thing ... good luck with that My mom *the stereotypical over loving over protecting Jewish mother god bless her* would not hear any of my military talks to her. I was never able to convince her, she convinced me And this is really the first time im saying this about myself on this site if you all get my hint; ...........im not joining.
But that will be tough and I dont have any advice on what to do there; sorry it will be a tough one!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qQwoQo4KvbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Memories.. *tears*

Reminds me of the screaming the cadence during cold morning runs in skimpy PTs as angry students glared at us from their windows.

Albeit, it's an Airborne cadence.. but smexy nonetheless.

(Smexy=sexy in a manly way)

Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Damn, you guys in JROTC did things we didn't even touch on.

We vaguely went over like the first 4 general orders(which I promptly forgot). Hell, I don't even know how many general orders there are. I'm lucky to have memorized the Soldier's creed. Seriously, during general inspection, I was terrified that they were going to ask me to recite the general orders. Thankfully they just made me sing the Army Song.

The practical things we did were PT, various STX(Squad Training Exercises) MOUT(Military Operation in Urban Terrain), grenade throwing, FLRC, marksmanship, repelling, and marching. They made us memorize things like the 9 Line MEDEVAC, which I thought was stupid since we all carried a card that had it written out, call for fires, adjust fires, SITREP, SALUTE, LACE reports, land nav, and so on. Oh, and they drilled us to death with OPORDS. God damn I hate OPORDS..
Hehe yea a lot of what we learned was BS! Yea I was always afraid of being asked my 6th becuase I was always shaky on it! BTW there is 11. But Marines are cruel during inspection, you make one mistake and they will make sure you make anther, they will continue to ask you stuff until you mess up again. One time it was raining outside and we went into inspection at a drill comp and the Drill Sgt goes up to my squad leader and goes
"Why the hell are you, your cover and uniform, and your rifles all wet!!!"
"Sir because its raining outside sir!"
"Thats no excuse!!!"

And then he had a shit rant on all of us ... asking us questions like how many tiles do you think is on the ceiling or anything he thinks its funny to ask that we surely dont know and then scream when we give a wrong answer or when we said "Sir this cadet is currently unaware but will find out!" becuase god forbid we say we didnt know LMFAO! Those where the days though ... I miss them!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 AM

Quote:

Why did you decide against commissioning? You get paid more, get more responsibility, and get better pension as an officer.

Also, the whole hype of the Marines being badass is just a urban myth, like cow tipping(which, by the way, is next to impossible, seeing as how most cows weigh 1300lbs and they sleep laying down). Their claim to fame is that their bootcamp is longer than the rest.. but Army basic is divided into 2 parts, so is overall longer than that of a Marine.

If you want to make it a career, I'd definitely look more into the officer route.

There is a cadet who was a prior service NCO and wanted career Army, but after reaching SSGT, decided enough was enough and joined ROTC to commission.

Last edited by wasabi622; 01-09-2012 at 02:04 AM..