Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post

Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential?
Heard that one too
Dude; I worked SOOO hard to be an engineer + politics shift + maturity + mom = no go
BTW ... that looks like simon cowell after 300 big macs!

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 01-09-2012 at 02:26 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
I know what you're saying, and I now know/realize it's an inevitability, but personally I'd rather have some combat or even general military experience before I start bossing people around. I have a beef with people that have no idea what they're doing, but are in charge of you.

Ha! Never heard that one before. Usually just this one:

USMC: Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
Ahh, the catch 22 of the butterbars!

Freshly commissioned 2nd Lieutenant's first jobs are usually PL(platoon leader), despite the fact that they have little to no previous experience. That's where the PSG(platoon sergeant) comes in. While the 2LT is technically in charge of the platoon, it's a team effort between the PL and the PSG. While the PSG is the senior NCO of the platoon, it's the orders given by the 2LT that he carries out and delegates to the squad leaders.

As a PL, you'll rarely give a direct command such as "Pvt. So-and-so, take that hill!". Your most direct responsibility will be receiving the OPORD(operations order) from above, nesting your platoon's mission, and then issuing your own OPORD to the platoon. Which is why like I said, the cadre drilled us to death with OPORDs, seeing as how that would be our main responsibility.

It's really mostly the NCO's that give the orders you're thinking.

BUT, there is no doubt, however, there have been many arrogant butterbars that come in too big for their britches thinking that they know more than the NCOs. A big no-no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Dude; I worked SOOO hard to be an engineer + politics shift + maturity + mom = no go
BTW ... that looks like simon cowell after 300 big macs!
I know that feeling. That's why I've put my Army pathway on hold. I'm working too hard to get into vet school, and with internships and research hours, I just don't have the time for ROTC.

It's not the end though. Once I get accepted into vet school, it's HPSP and a helloooo to 2nd Lieutenant Ahn!

Last edited by wasabi622; 01-09-2012 at 02:32 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
Still bad buddy, though you wont be the highest rank in your squad or maybe not squad leader, you still may have to make orders that ............. you might not like. Thats war buddy ... no wait ... thats life for any job! Never say you dont want the responsibly even if it is true, it does not look good. But with the military unfortunately you will learn a lot about death, perhaps more than you want .... but thats why the military is not for everyone. But my point is, if you're in the military *especially the infantry* you best bet someones life hangs on the decisions you make, it is a sad truth.
Yeah...

Something I guess I'll (have to) learn with time, training, experience, whatever. I'm fine with responsibility, and making decisions at work. It's just going to be learning how to do so under fire when life and death becomes a more prevalent outcome.

Edit:

Quote:
As a PL, you'll rarely give a direct command such as "Pvt. So-and-so, take that hill!". Your most direct responsibility will be receiving the OPORD(operations order) from above, nesting your platoon's mission, and then issuing your own OPORD to the platoon. Which is why like I said, the cadre drilled us to death with OPORDs, seeing as how that would be our main responsibility.

It's really mostly the NCO's that give the orders you're thinking.

BUT, there is no doubt, however, there have been many arrogant butterbars that come in too big for their britches thinking that they know more than the NCOs. A big no-no.
Good to know.

Maybe I'll have to consider this officer thing a little more than I did before. Would you happen to know anything about OTS? Is it just ROTC without the college part?

Last edited by WhiteFeather; 01-09-2012 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:

Good to know.

Maybe I'll have to consider this officer thing a little more than I did before. Would you happen to know anything about OTS? Is it just ROTC without the college part?
OTS? I'm not at all familiar with OTS, do you mean OCS(Officer Candidate School)?

If you want to commission, ROTC is probably the best route. ROTC provides nearly 70% of the officers in the military. OCS is hard to get into, especially if you're a civilian. Apparently around 60% of applicants are denied.

There are other routes if you want higher education past college, which is what I'm aiming for with the HPSP(Health Professional Scholarship Program).

But if not, the easiest way to commissioning is through ROTC. Just pick an easy major and cruise through college. That's what most cadets do, the exceptions being engineers or pre-professional majors like myself.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

FRA! I'm not going to say congratulations, or good choice, or anything like that, but congratulations on having come to the decision. Especially at this amazing point in your amazing life. You'll go far.

Everybody, all this talk about joining and glorifying and "getting the next Osama" brings to mind a couple things I got from the Army:

Even if you become a general, as a member of the military, you're at the service of each and every one of your countrymen. They all outrank you. Which is great. (But they're not always grateful.) But that means that while you fight for freedom, you don't personally get much of it. And the pay scale is crappy (although it's hard to get fired).

The other thing about anything military is that in the end, it's part a government's "violence" department. Its business isn't about flying around in or jumping out of planes, or riding in tanks or boats or copters.

EDIT ON:

Wasabi, they said you could put off your service? Well they're glad to get doctors, so the more training you get on you first, the better. And besides, you're obviously worth it! (Plus, all they have in all their animal facilities are more of those white dvms and nurses like you're already surrounded with.)

Must truly admit, if someone has to be in the military, they could do a lot worse than to follow wise Wasabi's words and examples.

Last edited by Chuck; 01-09-2012 at 02:47 AM..
Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 AM

WhiteFeather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OTS? I'm not at all familiar with OTS, do you mean OCS(Officer Candidate School)?

If you want to commission, ROTC is probably the best route. ROTC provides nearly 70% of the officers in the military. OCS is hard to get into, especially if you're a civilian. Apparently around 60% of applicants are denied.

There are other routes if you want higher education past college, which is what I'm aiming for with the HPSP(Health Professional Scholarship Program).

But if not, the easiest way to commissioning is through ROTC. Just pick an easy major and cruise through college. That's what most cadets do, the exceptions being engineers or pre-professional majors like myself.
I did mean OCS (haven't slept much in the past few days ). My problem is finding a major I'd want. Everyone says to just take an easy one, but if I'm wasting money on school, I at least want to learn about something I'm interested in.
Mr. Mike

Isn't OTS for NCO's or Warrant Officers that make it to Commissioned Officers? I know it stands for Officer Training School but I forgot all about it.
Im pretty sure it is for Sgt Majors ... or was it Master Gunnery Sgts ... moving on to become officers

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 01-09-2012 at 02:46 AM..
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What gave it away?

I briefly considered the navy, but I'd rather stay on land as much as possible.

And as for SEALs, those guys are freakin' hardcore. I don't know if I could make it after reading about their acceptance courses. Although it has been a childhood dream to be a Ranger. And more recently Delta.
Just your extra-long chat with Jung on "Guns and Ammo" thread. Shipboard life used to be hard. I mean it still is, but not as hard as say, 10-20 years ago. With e-mail, internet, live tv or free movies onboard (we get movies from the entertainment companies before they release it on DVD or Netflix), it's a lot easier than it used to be. Even the foods are better. You get to visit at least 5 different countries whenever you deploy for 6 months. Remeber what they say: "Sailors have more fun!"
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
The other thing about anything military is that in the end, it's part a government's "violence" department. Its business isn't about flying around in or jumping out of planes, or riding in tanks or boats or copters.
*coughcough* Army veterinarian.. little to no violence on my part.

Quote:
I did mean OCS (haven't slept much in the past few days ). My problem is finding a major I'd want. Everyone says to just take an easy one, but if I'm wasting money on school, I at least want to learn about something I'm interested in.
If you do ROTC, you'd be paying little to no money for school.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
FRA! I'm not going to say congratulations, or good choice, or anything like that, but congratulations on having come to the decision. Especially at this amazing point in your amazing life. You'll go far.

Everybody, all this talk about joining and glorifying and "getting the next Osama" brings to mind a couple things I got from the Army:

Even if you become a general, as a member of the military, you're at the service of each and every one of your countrymen. They all outrank you. Which is great. (But they're not always grateful.) But that means that while you fight for freedom, you don't personally get much of it. And the pay scale is crappy (although it's hard to get fired).

Thanks Chuck, yea there is a lot behind it I dont like that you only discover as you get older unfortunately. It was a decision I made about a year ago, it was hard at first, but it seems better and better everyday! One thing I will always have though is the respect of the men and women who fight and have fought for my country! Semper Fidelis ... forever!~