Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
lol... you guys take way too seriously to be American.

If I'd say the same words to any other nationality and they couldn't care less what I just said.

That's why it's fun of making fun of Americans every now and then. You know exactly what the response will be.
Perhaps, let's just try to keep things good-natured and respectful.... regardless of the nationality. That being said, if you come into a forum with so many American members, hosted in the United States, and you say things along those lines... you do have to take some responsibility for what you may unleash. Poking fun and being insulting is a thin line to cross in any text-based communication media that lack the benefits of intonation and facial expression/body language; so one has to be extra careful lest you be misinterpreted.

In addition to my opinions on the United States, I have my thown theories to explain the phenomenon you're describing about Americans (though I truly doubt it's limited to Americans only), but again, that's something I'm not here to discuss.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That being said, if you come into a forum with so many American members, hosted in the United States, and you say things along those lines... you do have to take some responsibility for what you may unleash. Poking fun and being insulting is a thin line to cross in any text-based communication media that lack the benefits of intonation and facial expression/body language; so one has to be extra careful lest you be misinterpreted.
Now you really are taking it too seriously. Laugh (or don't) and move on. In such a limited medium, it only becomes an insult (which, btw, in this case I can guarantee it wasn't) when you choose to respond to it as such.

Last edited by Ben; 12-31-2006 at 08:47 AM..
Old 12-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Yeah, listen to Snatcher. He knows these things and his even American.

But in case someone didn't realize... I don't really said those things too seriously.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:03 AM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

bt_bird, I think the smilie you were looking for in that situation was:.

I haven't met a European yet who didn't think he was an expert on America and Americans.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Gone to Alaska

guldebrett is on a distinguished road

So everybody.. be proud that we all love Alizee. Isn't she beautiful? No need to answer, we all know that one instinctively.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

rwd716 is on a distinguished road

Some funny and interesting things have been said on this thread, but this brings up alot of tension.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Breathe in. Breathe out.

SupaKrupa is on a distinguished road

Don't worry Yanks! We Aussies love ya! Afterall, you "Americanised" us Mmmmm coke... and Paris... Hilton...? (That bimbo is all over our news...)

I've heard a lot of très, très bad things about USA which I hope is entirely false, since it actually concerns the entire globe, but we have a PM who said he wouldn't mind living next door to a nuclear reactor in a very poor attempt to persuade the public that nuclear is the future!

So... Paris eh?... It's amazing that Alizée has done this to me. Before I discovered her, Travelling/moving to Europe (who am I kidding, France) was not an option. But now? It's almost a certainty. How does someone who you don't even know have such an effect on someone?

Sigh... Alizée... damn you for doing this to me!!! but thank you for it even moreso!!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 AM
On the Probulator

c-dawg777 is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity... newAlizeefan, what countries have you been to? Or better yet how many states have you been to?

Last edited by c-dawg777; 01-01-2007 at 06:07 AM..
Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKrupa View Post
Don't worry Yanks! We Aussies love ya! Afterall, you "Americanised" us Mmmmm coke... and Paris... Hilton...? (That bimbo is all over our news...)
I LOVED the time I spent in Australia (east coast trip: Cairns to Sydney in 3 weeks). I wish I had been older when I went - I probably would have appreciated it more at the time. The country was beautiful, and all the people seemed really friendly. I don't think I could have felt more welcome.

I'll never forget the hippie-looking dude who came up to me and my friends and said, "I love your accent!"
Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Going OT/emo (please don't ban me.):

See, this is the reason why I don't like such discussions that involve politics, global or national. Everyone has an opinion. Discussions become heated and things are said that should not have been. Also, this isn’t the best format for such discussions because context is not translated well over the internet (e.g. a person's tone in the message whether serious or joking).

Folks on this site know that I'm glad and proud to be an American. I've served my country honorably. Of the years I’ve served, most have been overseas because I wanted to experience other culture and I enjoyed every moment of it. Granted there are things that we may not be happy with here in the US, but you'll find that any where you go. Where ever you are, the grass well always be greener on the other side. In the end, my belief is nothing beats being home in the good old U.S.A.

Before you start bashing or hating America, I'm specifically addressing fellow American citizens, I suggest you visit your local VA hosipital and tell that to the men/women there. For goodness sake, you're an American. Put your voting rights to use. Write to your congress person. Take part in your given rights and participate in the political process.

I'll get off my soap box now...

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...