Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 PM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
First thing that came to my mind was, how did you get the VOB file from the DVD ? Simply copy pasted it to your computer and send it ?
I copied it to my HDD and uploaded it.
But I know that all VOB files I tried to read directly from any standard DVDs in MPC, VLC, BSplayer, etc, always gave me the same result than the one Snatcher described. Now I wonder if the VOB files you're used to read in those applications are real VOB format or if they wouldn't only have that extension? Try to open a VOB file from a DVD you bought in MPC for ex.

I'm going to try this program you linked but I doubt it will work since it seems to only remove protection. I know the DVDs I create are not protected and I also know that I can't read a VOB file even from not encrypted DVDs in MPC and others...
Old 01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
Can you read a VOB file from a commercial DVD in MPC or VLC yourself?
Yes. This is the first time I've encountered a problem like this. Both RMJ and myself have now made working DVD images with the files you provided, and are now trying to figure out how to get a working vob file from them. Usually for us all that we'd need to do is copy them like you did. That's not working. Another even better alternative is to rip them with DVD Decrypter. We tried that and it didn't work either. Very strange. We'll keep trying and let you know when we find anything...
Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM

I tried with DVD Decrypter and it created the same file on my HDD than the one I uploaded (I used the "comp" command under Dos). That's what I expected, it's only for protection and there were none.
Now I'm pretty sure it's a region issue. France is region 2. Maybe MPC and all other programs just don't support those region vob files?!
Those I create and all those I bought must be region 2....
Old 01-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Century Child

Na, it's not a Region issue. I've played plenty of region 2 files and never encountered this. Besides, Ronny's in Europe, same region as you. MPC plays the file fine when it's on the DVD. It's only when isolated do the problems start showing up.

Last edited by Ben; 01-15-2007 at 03:53 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Region codes has nothing to do with it.

And since it's your record, it's region free unless you specifically add it some region.

And the DVD Decrypter isn't just for decrypting. It's multipurpose tool. The decrypting is just one of it's features (and it's most important feature when dealing with retail DVDs).
Old 01-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Ok, you're right, it's not a region issue apparently.
Weirdest thing is that it always did that for me. I don't remember one VOB that worked in any other applis than a DVD player. And I mean even from the DVD with all other files (I just tried that again) while it seems to solve the problem for you!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Hey, while we need to think about this problem... Could you make small clips using XP and SP modes and upload them ? So we could later study what's the difference.

The clip you uploaded seemed to be little soft so your recorder must have re-encoded it. I'd like to see what the XP clip would look like. It might be direct copy of the digital stream.

I think I know the problem for this but I just need to find the right tool. I haven't dealt with problem like this in long time. And I haven't slept in long time either.

Last edited by RMJ; 01-15-2007 at 04:29 PM..
Old 01-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Faithful Fan

bt_bird_90 is on a distinguished road

Sleep is overrated anyways, just like nutrition.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Century Child

Running the files through VOB2MPG seems to solve most problems, though the playback is still a tiny bit wonky. We'll keep looking into this, though yeah, in the meantime it would be cool to see a small XP sample. If it's a direct stream copy mode, it might even not have these same playback issues.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Just recorded a 45sec clip, burnt it and it still won't open in BSplayer for me (nor MPC, VLC, etc)
I still can upload it if you want, in case it works for you, and at least to compare the quality. Btw, how was the SP quality?